Black ABS Question

I know black ABS is not really our thing here, but I am currently working on a project and have a question for anyone who has worked with black ABS.

I am trimming a kit and have noticed that the ABS seems to have some sort of coating. The problem is that this coating is tearing away from the plastic in places. Especially when I score and snap. So when I score and snap I pretty much have to score both sides or this coating will tear. When the coating is removed the plastic looks gray and not black.

Is this normal?

Where the coating tore along a score and snap edge.

7a29e9301dc540e049b788267566cf02.jpg

Bending the plastic caused discolouration.

4c9a23ca28818aff731e87373671f399.jpg

e83da8ca4db5375299a5de03c89eb43c.jpg

You can see the coating sticking up in the air.

c552ab4a9768adfbe25f16cac88231ca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the record I could have helped with this but since Matt already counted me out then I’m not gonna answer....

Jk, I’ve got no clue why that would happen. Where did you get the ABS from? I’m wondering if it’s just cheap ABS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

Aah man...so sorry to hear that! I first thought you might be tweeking the Field pack...now I feel bad for the way I posted...they should send new plastic. 

Oh, no worries, Daniel!  And you are right, unacceptable for a build.  I'm not even sure I can make ABS paste from this stuff - I guess I should try that tonight (I'm gonna need it on this build for some of the mods I want to do). 

I've sent a message to the vendor - I'll see how they decide to proceed. 

I have not personally seen this happen with black ABS I have used but I suppose it depends on how it is made. I do find when score and snappy the area snapped ends up grey/white, I found and automotive polish for black plastic and bumpers which helps to darken the light areas, not sure if it will help your issue but may be work a go. I also found with black ABS if you heat them first before cutting or bending the grey/white areas don't show as much.