RS Vlog Build-A-Long ANH Stunt

hazamel

53 minutes ago, hazamel said:

nd while the Legion's bureaucracy takes time,

You could also paint the bracket screws:smiley-sw013: Buttons look great but if I were to nitpick the smaller plate could be a tad smaller, could be the angel but it appears to go over the top of the mounting area.

jbSo9vi.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheSwede said:

You could also paint the bracket screws:smiley-sw013: Buttons look great but if I were to nitpick the smaller plate could be a tad smaller, could be the angel but it appears to go over the top of the mounting area.

It’s not the angel ;)  I‘m already thinking about how to fix this without removing or damaging parts.

Painting the screws and rivets is in the list :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheSwede said:

Perhaps the *angle :P

So the rumors are true... You've an eagle eye for nearly invisble details:

48322678477_73cf93da50.jpg

• Like 1

Like I learned a lot of times: Nothing beats the real glue. So I glued the back coverstrips and the hooks for the right shin... And couldn't resist taking photos.

48331850062_4c7935891d.jpg

48331850087_10b632c57a.jpg

Things I see, that I need to fix/finish:

• one of the unglued hooks came of. Glued them and will see how they look then
  • I constantly need to remind me to adjust my arms after getting dressed. Didn't have contacts on so checking was a bit difficult
  • Added a drop of glue to the thigh ammo pack so it stops moving downwards
  • Left shin is twisted. Also a thing of "There's a mole under the bucket"
  • Looks like the left dropbox is doing its own thing.
  • My constant struggle with the shoulder bells. I put them into position and while I'm not looking they're doing their own thing

Well, that's at least the thing I see from my amateur point of view. But I feel like this is nagging on a high level.

• Like 1

Looking good:duim:

Some small observations apart from your own.

You should lift the belt a smidgen.

You could consider trim the right thigh/coverstrips so it´s more level at the top.

J7b1ucz.png

You could consider filling the gaps with some abs paste, or, with what I belive they did for the Movie-suits, white steelmax glue.

IujCe6g.png

hW4cDNd.png

h8dUkJr.png

Almost there:)

Reads like it's basically approvable ;)

Those gaps already bothered me from the assembly. Will give ABS paste a go which means another shopping trip to the local hardware store. I can also fill the gaps at the front of the thighs like in the LFL archive ones.

Speaking about thighs:

48336085236_4447b4f624.jpg

48336236697_33cf3368be.jpg

Just follow the edge of the inside part in a nice curve? Same with the bottom of the left thigh? Outer ridge is 2mm bigger than the inner one.

Another non-visible question: How do you protect the bracket screws from tangling up with the undersuit? Cut them down? Shrinking tube? Ductape?

Now I'm a little indecisive what to do next:

Would love to see how close I can get to EIB and Centurion but this would mean to build an ANH-Blaster. At the moment I feel like I need a break from drilling, glueing and sanding not so well fitting parts ;) And I need additional space for storing blasters...

5 hours ago, hazamel said:

Reads like it's basically approvable

Correct, would have said otherwise. Belt height is a Centurion requirement.

Just follow the edge of the inside part in a nice curve?

Here´s some examples on how to trim.

fGRzaoB.jpg

Same with the bottom of the left thigh? Outer ridge is 2mm bigger than the inner one.

Photo please:)

Another non-visible question: How do you protect the bracket screws from tangling up with the undersuit? Cut them down? Shrinking tube? Ductape?

Never had an issue with it, what does your screws look like?

Would love to see how close I can get to EIB and Centurion but this would mean to build an ANH-Blaster.

You can buy a finished one, Imperial warfighters (FB) have a great rubber E-11. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheSwede said:

Photo please:)

Here you go...

48338722386_719c1f830a.jpg

Never had an issue with it, what does your screws look like?

48338722351_1805687e4c.jpg

Those are two of the longer ones. I taped the ones at the chest because they seem to damage my undersuit.

You can buy a finished one, Imperial warfighters (FB) have a great rubber E-11. 

Thank you for the hint. Only found those that cost a fortune ready-to-wear. Sadly the last post was that his wife died four weeks ago. Makes me feel bad to ask if he's taking orders when life hit him that hard.

11 minutes ago, hazamel said:

Here you go...

48338722386_719c1f830a.jpg

I would start with abs paste and level it out and see how it looks, maybe do some additional trimming. Not required, just for looks.

13 minutes ago, hazamel said:

Those are two of the longer ones. 

I would find shorter ones or cut them down. I bought some acorn nuts but never got round to     make the swap.

17 minutes ago, hazamel said:

Makes me feel bad to ask if he's taking orders when life hit him that hard.

Yeah it’s an absolute tragedy....no harm in asking though, interaction with others when life is difficult is never a bad thing. Well, obviously depends on the type of interaction but a polite question would be fine.

On 7/21/2019 at 6:46 PM, TheSwede said:

Yeah it’s an absolute tragedy....no harm in asking though, interaction with others when life is difficult is never a bad thing. Well, obviously depends on the type of interaction but a polite question would be fine.

Chatted with him. He's taking orders and I placed an order for an ANH rubber E11. Looking forward to take the road to the higher levels :D

• Like 1

Here's the finished trooper on its way to the approval.

48397583366_d2018e0706.jpg

48397724957_d0185ee7b1.jpg

48397725157_0861286c60.jpg

48397725372_e9480e5918.jpg

As you can see here my shoulderbells already decided to do their thing. I've no clue how to prevent them from doing so.

48397584296_020bf0c4fa.jpg

I also ordered a summer undersuit. I've the "all-year"-two piece one from stormtrooper undersuits and it's definitly not all year (25°C and 80% humidity and I was soaked before I even put on the bucket)

I'm currently doing some testruns on working with ABS paste and wetsanding and polishing before closing the gaps.

17 hours ago, ukswrath said:

Excellent work Florian, if you could I would drop the biceps even more. 

Noticed that when we reviewed the photos. And changed it.

48397750112_4c4ee18ec6_c.jpg

Unfortunately I held my arms pretty strange in the corrected pictures :wacko:

• Like 1

One more update:

Had a double mail day yesterday. My summer undersuit arrived and E11 by Imperial Warfighters

48439881172_27021f6d20.jpg

Instead of the two to three weeks Ryan delivered in under a week. It's so fresh I can still smell the paint ;)

Unfortunately approval seems to be just a little slow at our garrison... Read that people are waiting for six weeks to get their FO Admiral approved. So I won't be doing that much in the meantime and put the armour away... :(
Maybe I'll troop an event as unregistered. Can't wait to wear this beauty.

Well that was quicker than expected:

I got approved. No further questions from the GMO.

Also had my first troop as a stormtrooper on Saturday which was pretty great. I now know where I need to do some minor adjustments for comfort. And my first repair because the snap of my left Shoulderbell came loose.

I was really surprised how good the ventilation is in a TK compared to my TS. :D guess I’ll wear it more often now.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I've been silent around here because of holidays and work stuff. And trooping ;)

Handed in my EIB-Application and can't wait to wear my TK on a movienight next week

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Reached EIB. Guess I won’t apply for Centurion. Shoulders are a constant struggle :huh:

Thank you everybody for your support and constant advice.

That‘s why it’s so awesome to be part of 501st

• Like 1

Congratz on EIB:salute: Don’t give up on Centurion just yet, the shoulders should be possible to get closer, did you look into trimming them with a curve as I suggested earlier?

Tried that very gently, but it feels like there's not enough material left to do excessive trimming. And they tend to slip outwards at the top which seems to be a result of the connection to the biceps.

48707445063_dc6fb42acf.jpg

48707790851_9ef29bbb5e.jpg

Haven't found a proper way to prevent the white elastic from streching. Guess this would be a huge improvement.

26 minutes ago, hazamel said:

Haven't found a proper way to prevent the white elastic from stretching. Guess this would be a huge improvement.

The problem with replica armour is that everyone connects their biceps to their shoulder bells which pulls on the white shoulder elastic. The real armour didn't have their biceps connected to their shoulder bells so the bells just hung from the white elastic.

You can try doubling up on the white elastic and sew two pieces together using a zig-zag stitch. This will help it stretch somewhat but still be quite solid.

Another option is to sew black straps to the edges of your neck seal and use these to hold your biceps up. I did this on an old set of armour and it worked extremely well.

Try Pauls suggestion on double-up on the elastic first and if that’s not enough (I think it will) You could also try and move the snap more forward. Keeping the small 5mm elastic on the bridge and not on the tabs on the backplate also helps in keeping the bigger white elastic from pulling out.

I don't know if this will help or not, but I had a similar issue with the shoulder bells when fitting my husband's RS TK.  I found that the white elastic connection between the chest plate and back plate was too long, even though it seemed like it was the right length without the bells attached.  I ended up shortening the white elastics up a bit.  This ended up reducing the amount of "give" to the left/right, resulting in a more secure arm and tighter aligned bell-to-chest/back connection.  Basically, If you have too much white elastic in there at the shoulder between the chest and back, your bells will pop out and away, resulting in large black gaps that we all want to avoid.

Before adjustment on left.  After adjustment on right.  No trimming was involved, just shortening up the white elastics. 

48489298761_767b02082e.jpg&key=3f2c5099b48489297036_eb5af974f0_n.jpg&key=57608da

• Like 1