Cameras for eyes?

So I was bored and got to thinking. what’s the feasibility of buying a smartphone rear camera, for instance the IPhone X camera with its two lenses, and placing it in a bucket with one centered in each eye with the camera(s) attaches to a glass or sturdier plastic tinted lense. This would then be wired to a monitor like an oculus rift. Pair this with urkswraths mic tips and hearing aids and you got the closest thing to what the helmet is supposed to be like. Now I’m assuming any micro camera or pair of cameras could function with each feed being sent to the corresponding eye. I just thought it was a cool concept idea with no idea if possible or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If someone could figure out how to effectively stuff a VR headset in a bucket then more power to them. Would be a great workaround for visibility issues (especially bubble lenses).

• Like 2

There are a ton of wireless cameras available.... guys are gluing them on small drones.  I'm guessing someone with more know how than me could figure this out PDQ.

Video here:  -----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working
  • Like 1

Alright so I think I know how to work this out, you buy a mixed reality headset, take it apart and extend the wires for the cameras so you can place them where you want. You then either use on board batteries or run a power line down your suit under the armor to a power pack you could store in the thermal detonator.

Being that it is a mixed reality headset I’m sure there is a way to interface an actual heads up display that could be personalized for clones, troopers, bounty hunters, Vader, etc. this could have things like vital signs and maybe even a fake environment settings. For the more ambitious programmer someone could probably have it interface with a digital thermometer or a weather app and get localized temperature in the display amongst other things and aurebesh.

So after doing some research, I think the most cost-effective and mountable option would be a Raspberry Pi unit. This would involve the main board, a power source, 1-2 cameras -- depending if someone wanted to make a vr like setup -- and a small LCD screen, preferably 2 channel.

What I want to do when I eventually prototype this would be to incorporate 2 fisheye lenses of at least 130-degree field of view. My idea, for now, would be to have a PI noIR camera in one eye and the regular camera in the other. The cameras would both be mounted center on a smoke trooper lense, with the camera flush with the lenses to help hide them. Next to each camera, behind the lenses, would also be two small UV or IR bulbs. These would provide the illumination for the PI NoIR, as light should not be visible to us but will be for the camera. It would also have an external button hidden just under the lip of the bucket or perhaps a hidden wireless button on the thermal detonator, that would be used to switch inputs and turn on the IR or UV lights allowing the helmet to utilize a form of night vision as well. 

Thoughts?

I will readily admit I am not the smartest guy in the room. The distance between the lenses and your eyes is maybe 2 inches now, how can you fit a screen so close to the eyes?

• Like 1

Well you see, when you have a sleep deprived brain from writing college essays for 4 weeks straight and really like an idea you forget about details like that. It also doesn’t help I haven’t gotten my hands on my own bucket yet so I don’t truly know the amount of space is in a helmet.

for a less than screen accurate bucket, you could take to micro IR lamps make a housing with wire mesh and use those as Hovi Mic tips that would provide light for night vision. Than use a raspberry Pi NoIr that can switch between Day and night vision. The lense width is a little less than 1/2 inch so you could for no accuracy and pure function drill a hole in the vocoder and make it flush or hide it behind or flush with the eye lenses. but the screen is still a potential issue for the idea.
 imx219-pi-camera-m12-6.jpg

I'm guessing they didn't have true VR in those helmets, else Luke wouldn't have said he can barely see a thing.  Even in the clone wars they talked more about AR.   Putting AR in your helmet is more likely the way to go.  Ideally you'll want a helmet that has no wire going from it to your armor, as you can see when Luke/Han take off their helmets they are 100% self-contained.

Hovi-mic speakers when set up correctly can be quite effective, and you could put a thumb switch inside your helmet to toggle between vox, FRS, or phone.  Luke tapping his ear made it clear they had speakers in those guys too. It's not that far fetched - motorcycles have had this type of setup for years (I have one in my motorcycle helmet).  The hard part actually is just trying to decide how to do the toggle, as on moto helmets it's an external switch.

From there you could also have AR lens like HoloLens or GoogleGlass that projects a hud.  Right now they are externally mounted if 3rd party like https://www.ridenuviz.com/

So all of this is certainly possible, e.g. 100% self-contained vox, audio, fans, even HUD.  The trick it getting it all in the helmet and the weight associated with it.  I'm guessing you'd want to reinforce that ABS bucket, which normally weighs nothing empty.

• Like 1

However, if the screen is too close to focus on if mounted directly behind the trooper lenses. You could utilize a mirror to reflect your vision down to the lower lip of the lid where one could mount a small lcd display. I was also thinking, due to the headroom, you could build a reflective housing that looks like lenses to house the camera, or one could use a small standard raspberry camera module v2 with its 1/4" lense in the vocodor or mounted in a reinforced lense unlike the previous one listed above, its smaller and doesn't utilize any form of night vision which saves space and power. The camera would only have a 60 degree field so it wouldn't be fisheyed and distorted. But the more I think about it, the less space there is in the helmet so Ill need to find another plan

What I’m thinking might be possible would be a raspberryPI pocket projector and a glass lense inside the helmet to reflect the beam back. If spaces right you could have a hud over the lense like a red dot, but projecting a loop of aurebesh vital signs, mission details like the face of a person, planetary info with things like weather. I’ll have to look at the dimensions of it but it appears to fit in ones palm and is approximately the width of ones fingers.

On 11/11/2018 at 7:07 PM, 6pack said:

I was thinking something like that at first but as others have pointed out and as I have thought about it, it's too big.

So know I'm moving more in the direction of a heads-up display idea

• Like 1

What I'm thinking might work for a HUD would be a reflective glass in front of the lens inside the helmet and a pocket-projector using raspberry Pi. The build I'm looking at only get up to about 100*F so it would be warm at worst. Im thinking I could run a looped video with vitals, and  different mission info or no mission info. If this works I would make different missions you could cycle through, different vitals, or weapons details to display.

• 5 months later...

What about something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Vufine-Wearable-Display-Standard/dp/B01HY18A9U/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=smart+glasses&qid=1556843368&s=electronics&sr=1-5

Needs to be wired by HDMI, but it's only $100. Perhaps a small camera  could feed to this display? Love the potential for HUD in a stormtrooper bucket

Why would you downgrade your eye resolution that much and at such expense? Your eyes are way higher resolution.

• Like 1