TFA Captain Cardinal

CrookKnight

I think the current work stalled out over whether the boots/blaster should be red or black, and some other small details like that. I do know there were a couple of people building Cardinals but have not seen much movement the past few months.

I think the current work stalled out over whether the boots/blaster should be red or black, and some other small details like that. I do know there were a couple of people building Cardinals but have not seen much movement the past few months.

I just finished reading Phasma that has Cardinal in it. From what I gather the boots would be red. The blaster would be black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/31/2018 at 5:28 PM, CrookKnight said:

I just finished reading Phasma that has Cardinal in it. From what I gather the boots would be red. The blaster would be black.

I could maybe understand the argument for a red blaster, but what is the argument about the boots? I should think they're red, but I'm curious to see what reason someone might have to doubt that.

So the word we got from LFL conflicted with the author on the boots.  I think this came up before, but in the end we go with what LFL is showing as sources, even if they override what the author had originally envisioned.

So the word we got from LFL conflicted with the author on the boots.  I think this came up before, but in the end we go with what LFL is showing as sources, even if they override what the author had originally envisioned.

So is there a decision on the boots and blaster color?

4 hours ago, CrookKnight said:

So is there a decision on the boots and blaster color?

CRL's are based on images and to date there is no full image of the character so I doubt a decision will be made.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The description in the book was that Vi spat blood on one of Cardinal's boots, and absently noted that it was not quite the same color red as the "flawless plastoid" it landed on. I take that to mean boot armor like Phasma's and that it's red to match the rest of his armor. I conjecture, from precedent, that the boots under it are black FOTK boots like Phasma and the Flametroopers wear under their boot armor. I've only ever seen "plastoid" -- let alone "flawless" -- refer to Stormtrooper hard armor. Others interpret it to mean red leather versions of the FOTK boots, a stance I feel is at odds with the prose description.

Similarly, I presume his weapons are echoes of Phasma's -- again because of both precedent of their purported equal rank, coupled with the text. SE-44c on his hip, with red casing instead of the standard white or Phasma's chrome. F-11D Heavy (upscaled, fixed stock, no holstering plate/screws), again with the bits that are white on the standard HWTs' blasters or chrome on Phasma's in red. He only carries the latter in one flashback scene in the book. The rest of the time, the text is describing a single-handed blaster with gleaming red prominently visible while holstered on his leg. The SE-44c fits that far better.

But without visual support, there's no confirmation either way, and without conformation, no CRL. I am doing it anyway, but, as I'm waiting on ANOVOS, I haven't had much progress to show. I've been slowly working on my boot armor, and am going to be beginning 3D printing of my blasters soon. I have everything else that isn't coming with the ANOVOS kit except the cape.

Edited by Peregrinus

• 5 months later...

So is there anyway to get a CRL for this?  I know we do not have pictures of the boots, but there has to be some way to get this done.  Can't we just make an assumption based on historical data of how other costumes look?  I want to do this one, but not if I cannot get it approved.

Unfortunately CRL's are not built on assumptions, all we can hope is they bring out a figure or official images (front back sides) of Cardinal. 

2 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Unfortunately CRL's are not built on assumptions, all we can hope is they bring out a figure or official images (front back sides) of Cardinal. 

Thanks.  I might still build it and just make an assumption.  Maybe one day we will see the entire set of armor all the way to the feet.:laugh1:

• Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 7:55 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

Which, considering when the novel takes place, is of indeterminable likelihood. Unless we get something visual in Resistance or maybe delving into Finn's backstory in his early training, he's out of the First Order picture by the time the Sequel Trilogy (and a lot of its ancillary fiction) takes place.

Because there's an unpleasantly strong chance this will never be an approvable costume, I'm going with Del's take -- from the boot armor to the Phasma cape (i.e., off the left shoulder and trimmed in red, same as hers). I'll have the "mirror image" cape the cover artist went with, too, even though it makes no sense except as a counterpoint to Phasma's orientation and color scheme. If they're both Captains and that's an indicator of rank, they should be the same. If First Order Stormtrooper Captains wear black capes trimmed in red and Phasma just made hers out of a body bag because she's a terrifying psychopath, then I'll probably also tackle a more "conventional" cape, as well, to have all options covered. But I don't like that the only official sources clash in this respect (the cover art shows his cape in reversed orientation to hers, and with the colors inverted -- red stripe and silver armor for her, red armor and gray stripe for him; while the poster maintains the reversed orientation... but leaves the stripe off altogether), and both break uniformity -- which is kind of important in a, you know, uniform. I can only handwave so much due to Phasma giving a middle finger to the rules and doing her own thing. :6:

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/11/2019 at 10:55 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

So can we not do the Cardinal CRL based on the black series figure as the model? I mean, it is from Hasbro and licensed by Disney, is it not?

19 minutes ago, jsilvius said:

So can we not do the Cardinal CRL based on the black series figure as the model? I mean, it is from Hasbro and licensed by Disney, is it not?

There have been a lot more references and conversations since this post back in 2019 ;) 

You would need to reach out to our Detachment Leader for more information @Sly11

1 minute ago, gmrhodes13 said:

There have been a lot more references and conversations since this post back in 2019 ;) 

You would need to reach out to our Detachment Leader for more information @Sly11

Yeah, I just found Shawn's build post and it looks like it died a horrible death in June. :-( that is pretty disappointing.

3 minutes ago, jsilvius said:

Yeah, I just found Shawn's build post and it looks like it died a horrible death in June. :-( that is pretty disappointing.

I didn't see a definite NO, the LMO's requested a different helmet so there may still be a chance but @Sly11 would be able to shed more light to this ;) 

• Like 1

This is Shawn. I had almost finished minus the boots and cape, but I was under the impression no CRL would be approved. I could have been wrong.

• Like 1

This is Shawn. I had almost finished minus the boots and cape, but I was under the impression no CRL would be approved. I could have been wrong.

I didn't see a definite NO, the LMO's requested a different helmet so there may still be a chance but [mention=20699]Sly11[/mention] would be able to shed more light to this  

I do have both the TFA and TLJ versions of the helmet. I would just have to paint the TLJ version.

• 1 month later...

Any more word on this CRL? I just got my armor, and really want to get started on this build. Has the LMO team gave a thumbs up on everything and we are just waiting for some complete a build?

I haven't heard anything from the LMO's

For some reason I thought the hold up was the boots or lack of references for how they looked, but I also thought that info was communicated between the LMO's and the member building the costume.

As it stands, without the full set of images of a finished costume from the builder, we can't flesh out a CRL to submit for peer review.

It is both the language and the imagery the LMO team require to base their final decision, or any amendments we (builder and Detachment) may need to make to get it across the line.

The written part is the easy bit, we base it off the FOTK and adjust the embellishments for Cardinal.