Ed's first build

Black1705f

Long time lurker first time poster.  Just to preface this is my first ever attempt at any sort of custom build.  I received my AM kit and was impressed with the quality but distraught at the task at hand.  I haven't got any soft parts yet, but that will be easy by comparison.  Luckily I had a pro (Eric Dyck) build the helmet in the same time it would take me to open the box it came in. I still have to paint it but I find that will be easy because I have lots of miniature painting experience.  

So as I prepare to embark on my first build like most I'm terrified to make my first cut.  After a lot of research I feel compelled to start with the biceps to hopefully build some confidence from there.  So my question is....when sizing the bicep or any limb armor do I want to trim to size from both pieces (outer and inner) or just off of one piece. In other words if I want to reduce both sides of the armor by say an inch do I cut a half inch off both the inner and outer armor halves or do I take an inch off the sides of just one piece and if so which one inner or outer. My gut tells me to take it off evenly but I thought I'd get some advice.

For my next question bare in mind  I'm relatively sized proportionally to a 1970's Englishmen in that i'm 5'9" 155lbs or perhaps a little short for a trooper. But anyways, is there a good guideline to use for the screen used  widths of cover strips on the shins, thighs, forearms and biceps? Likewise what should I be doing with the return edges on each piece.  I know a lot of people will just say search the forums but I keep seeing some conflicting answers and the guidelines don't always specify on every piece.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,
Ed Black

Great to see you here Ed! A few months ago I was in your shoes, terrified of the first cut. Trust me it gets easier :) About the trimming, I did all mine on equal sides. Luckily my arm pieces fit good with the accurate cover strip widths. The screen used coverstrips were a bit wonky but try to aim for these:

Biceps/Forearms: 15mm

Thighs front/back: 20mm

Shins front: 20mm

Shins back: 25mm

I used bigger strips on my thighs and shins to fit my legs. As long as it looks uniform it should be no problem to deviate a bit :) For return edges, remove ALL return-edge on wrist-side of forearms and ankle/boot side of shins for accuracy and comfort. Everything else you can trim to comfort, some prefer return edge as it gives the illusion of thickness.

I'd recommend checking some of the build threads (ukswraths anovos build) is a good one, and also go look at the approved Centurion applications :D Oh and post a lot of pictures!

• Like 1

Daniel's got you covered there! I would suggest that you keep return edge at least at the bottom of the chest plate, the tops of the shins, and where the back, kidney, and butt plates meet (it will keep them nice and butted up against each other).

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 4:07 PM, Black1705f said:

My gut tells me to take it off evenly but I thought I'd get some advice

Your gut serves you well:duim: You also want the cover strips to line up meaning they run a  straight line from bicep to forearm and thighs to shins and centered on the limb. Some kits have more material on one half of the part so always check before just cutting, golden rule is measure twice cut once - good luck on your build:salute: