ROTJ Clarifications

lucnak

Hi folks, I was looking at the Centurion requirements for ROTJ and I'm just trying to clarify three things:

• CRL model appears to be wearing boots with white soles. This is not listed anywhere in the text. Is there a requirement for white or black boots?
  • Sniper plate - CRL says one pop style rivet, but my understanding is that it's one on each side. One of the various shin photos in the CRL shows this.
  • Kidney plate rivets - can't find a good reference photo.

White soles

9AAEB69D-723A-4195-BB86-D0BC3EFFE1FC.thuImage result for rotj stormtrooper

Sniper plate - CRL says one pop style rivet, but my understanding is that it's one on each side. One of the various shin photos in the CRL shows this.

This is being addressed currently, should be a CRL update soon, one either side painted white,

dIBOWnQ.jpg?1 5X1vc7m.jpg

aanT6pKh

Also evidence some had a rivet unpainted in the middle of the knee ammo strip, you can see the back of the rivet and washer inside the thigh

5X1vc7m.jpg

RotJST1

No kidney/ab rivets

stormexibit1.jpgaarFe2v2

Hmm so no kidney rivets at all. Should be quick and easy to remove from CRL.

The sniper knee rivet issue is interesting. There are potentially ESB suits that have rivets? And the placement of these rivets has changed between ESB and ROTJ?

Edited by lucnak

It's the ESB MKII version that has the pop rivets. These were suits that were meant to be used in ESB but were not finished in time for filming (although one did make an appearance in the carbon freezing chamber scene). These suits are almost identical to ROTJ armour with a few minor differences but the strapping method was completely different inside. From all the reference material I have they show single cap rivets on ROTJ armour and pop rivets on the ESB MKII and on tour suits.

I'm not sure if the particular style of rivet is an issue for whatever levels but I wanted to let you guys know about what was used on the original props.

Edited by troopermaster
  • Like 1

Also worth noting is the location of the rivets on the original ROTJ armour. They are fixed through the actual shin armour and not the ridge on the top. Using single cap rivets makes them smooth inside and won't rub on your leg, unlike pop rivets that have a large lump on the back that would rub on your leg.

Ok so:

Overlap construction

Boots Have White Soles

Pop Rivet into the Front of the Shoulder Bridge

Cap Rivet into Sniper Plate Directly into the Shin

Three Cap Rivets in the Ammo Pack. Two on each end and one in the Middle

No Kidney Rivets

One Single Snap on Butt Plated Painted White

Sound about right?  Missing anything?

Sounds good except:

-Single cap rivet on shoulder bridge to chest, Velrco to back

-No paint on butt snap

Pop rivets were used to connect the belt to the ab plate and to attach the holster, but that's it. 

The strapping was 2" wide black elastic glued directly to the armour using ABS paste. The left side as hinged like ANH but using elastic straps glued to the armour and the right side opened up. I can't confirm this but I believe the right side used Velcro straps rather than elastic, which is how the ESB MKII were strapped. So soft loop Velcro patches were glued to the front armour sections and strips of hard hook Velcro straps were glued to the back sections to close the armour.

3 minutes ago, troopermaster said:

Sounds good except:

-Single cap rivet on shoulder bridge to chest, Velrco to back

-No paint on butt snap

Pop rivets were used to connect the belt to the ab plate and to attach the holster, but that's it. 

The strapping was 2" wide black elastic glued directly to the armour using ABS paste. The left side as hinged like ANH but using elastic straps glued to the armour and the right side opened up. I can't confirm this but I believe the right side used Velcro straps rather than elastic, which is how the ESB MKII were strapped. So soft loop Velcro patches were glued to the front armour sections and strips of hard hook Velcro straps were glued to the back sections to close the armour.

Any chance you would have some references we could add to the galleries, seems a lot of images from the older ROTJ posts are now inaccessible

14 hours ago, starsaber25 said:

We have been reviewing the ROTJ CRL for quite some time. But seriously, new info keeps popping up constantly.  We will get a handle on it soon. 

Apologies, I had assumed that the changes discussed several months ago had been pushed to the published CRL.

No problems Luc.  Unfortunately the ROTJ CRL has not been updated.  We are still working through it so it is something we don't have to update over and over again.  New stuff with the ROTJ armor just keeps on popping up all the time.  Gotta love good and clear photos!

• Like 2