RS Propmasters ESB TK slow and steady build in Portland, OR

Infern0

Hi there TKs! My name is Garrett Winters, and I've wanted to join the 501st with a TK build since I was 15 years old trying to cobble together a Jedi costume for Halloween, and stumbled on this amazing thing called the 501st, opening up a whole new world for me.

After 16 years of research, procrastination, other costume builds (including nearly finished Imperial Officer and Royal Guard costumes), and chronic health problems, I finally purchased some ESB armor from RS last year, and I'm posting here as my promise that I'll actually start on the build (trust me, I really, really want this, but it's been hard for me to set aside the time)! 

I'd be eternally grateful for your help, support, love, and advice as I tackle this!

Edited by 1nfern0
Changing title to be more helpful

Thanks guys!  @daryldoak I sent my registration to the Cloud City forums, hope to join you guys soon! BTW, badass Dengar there sir. I might need to sort out a Bossk build at some point to complement it.

Edited by 1nfern0
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all! Slow going here getting everything ready, but I did have a question about gloves. I have these black nomex/leather Blackhawk flight gloves. Will they be admissible with the leather patches or does this count as " visible straps or logos/designs." as per the CRL (assuming that the Blackhawk logo on the back will be covered by the hand plates)?

uk7brPD.jpg

Edited by 1nfern0

On 11/12/2018 at 4:19 PM, Bud Spaklur said:

Garrett-

Welcome aboard! Don’t worry about taking your time. When I started my build, I was going gangbusters at first. Then, I hit a snag cutting my thigh armor, got discouraged, and stopped my build all together for months. The final 3 weeks of August, I busted my a$$ to complete it prior to the school year starting (I’m a teacher), otherwise I wouldn’t touch it.

Ask lots of questions as there are MANY on here who are very helpful. I wouldn’t have gotten over the finish line if it weren’t for these guys.

As for your gloves, you’ll just have to see where the hand plates cover the logo. Should be ok for basic as long as that logo isn’t showing.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Matt! I know the feeling of hitting snags in builds and getting discouraged. I'm relying on this thread and an overwhelming desire to wear some white armor and do some good to keep me going :D

Welcome to the FISD, Garrett!

As for the gloves, Home Depot sells plain, black rubber (or neoprene), long cuff gloves which are commonly used for OT TKs.  Best part is that they are cheap.  For ESB, you can go the silk or satin material route as well.

Good luck on your build.  Take your time - enjoy the ride!

• Like 1

On 11/10/2018 at 2:44 PM, 1nfern0 said:

Thanks all! Slow going here getting everything ready, but I did have a question about gloves. I have these black nomex/leather Blackhawk flight gloves. Will they be admissible with the leather patches or does this count as " visible straps or logos/designs." as per the CRL (assuming that the Blackhawk logo on the back will be covered by the hand plates)?

These gloves will be good for Basic.

EIB will need to be Rubber or rubber like

Centurion will need to be silk, satin or silk like 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wook1138 said:

Is that actually in the CRL?  I don't remember seeing it.

I assumed he was building and ESB. Oops sorry there is no L3 

Gloves
Black in color, made of either rubber, nomex, leather, or leather-like material, with no visible straps or logos/designs. The fingers are enclosed, non-textured. 

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):
Gloves shall be rubber or rubber-like chemical gloves, in black.
ESB only 

Gloves may be black silk, satin, or silk-like material.

• 1 month later...

You all are so kind! Gloves are sorted out now. I finally had a free bit of time today to unpack my BBB sans helmet and  even had enough time to get started on trimming the thermal detonator pieces, so not a bad Christmas eve at all!

IMG_1037.JPG

• Like 2

We are here for ya', Garrett.  Just take your time, ask lots of questions, post lots of photos, and remember this:  Measure once twice three times before cutting, and once again before gluing anything.  When in doubt, let us know before proceeding and we will help you out.  Consider this a marathon, not a sprint, and you will have a great looking/fitting set of armor before you know it!

If you are hopefully building with Centurion level in mind, here is some information:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/35371-eib-and-centurion-what-do-these-terms-mean/

• Like 2

Good Luck Garrett:duim:

Like Joseph said, it's not a sprint. Looking at a pile like that can be intimidating. Break it down into small projects and it's not so bad. 

Finish one then move on to next. Before you know it you'll have a great suit of armor.

Aim big! We'll help you get there!:dancing-trooper:

Good Luck Future Trooper!:salute:

• Like 2

This is fantastic!! I feel like I have a whole squad behind me to help with this:D

Yes, definitely going for Centurion for several reasons, but mostly because I am a compulsive perfectionist. (I have an Imperial Officer uniform that I've been sitting on for over two years because it just wasn't right and needed tweaking, and while it's still not done, I finally managed to force myself to submit for approval)

I'll be taking my time and triple checking everything with you guys before doing anything rash. As I think most newbs are, I am slightly terrified of cutting/breaking/trimming anything to the point of ruining it - I can always get replacement parts from RS if I need to (I'd rather not though) - so I'll be VERY careful.

Next stop will be pouring over ukswraith's and Wooks' threads, thanks again everyone!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1nfern0 said:

This is fantastic!! I feel like I have a whole squad behind me to help with this:D

You do, but it's a whole Detachment!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 1nfern0 said:

Yes, definitely going for Centurion for several reasons, but mostly because I am a compulsive perfectionist. (I have an Imperial Officer uniform that I've been sitting on for over two years because it just wasn't right and needed tweaking, and while it's still not done, I finally managed to force myself to submit for approval)

I'll be taking my time and triple checking everything with you guys before doing anything rash. As I think most newbs are, I am slightly terrified of cutting/breaking/trimming anything to the point of ruining it - I can always get replacement parts from RS if I need to (I'd rather not though) - so I'll be VERY careful.

Next stop will be pouring over ukswraith's and Wooks' threads, thanks again everyone!

Congrats on your officer approval and welcome to Cloud City Garrison!    Make sure to check our event schedule on the forums and I hope to see you at a troop in the near future.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, daryldoak said:

Congrats on your officer approval and welcome to Cloud City Garrison!    Make sure to check our event schedule on the forums and I hope to see you at a troop in the near future.

Thanks Daryl! Health hasn't been too good the past couple of months, so haven't left the house much (ongoing thing, just got a little worse with holiday stress :unsure: ), but I'll be coming out to meet everyone as soon as I can :)