Another TLJ Stormtrooper helmet? Close to screen used prop. At least I try :-)

Sano

Good evening fellow builders :-)

I want to share my latest project. I really love the TLJ Stormtrooper design and wanted to create my own version.

But due to the fact that there are literally SO many out there already, I thought about what I can add to make it more unique.

I thought about making it a 3 piece helmet. Main helmet, black insert and nose plate + the additional greeblies.

This would result in very sharp lines between the black and white. The black insert will we SLA printed, molded and cast in deep black resin. 

I got the 3D model from Die 3D Schmide and want to share 2 pictures. :-)

NY9AO6g.png

ACYMiZp.png

The parts are getting printed at the moment, I will post more pictures when I have the physical prop in hand :)

All the best

Dino

• Like 4

You guys know that I've made TFA helmets and TLJ Helmets.

The TFA that was designed by Roy Gilsing was a work of art and really as close as I've ever seen to the screen used prop.

The TLJ offering I had was much less so. It was a great helmet but it had some issues. 

I've had a look at the files and renders of this helmet from Dino and I can say without a doubt it's the best helmet you will find without paying your first born. The construction will tkae the hardest part of finishing these helmets and make it easy. Just paint the separate colors, done :D 

I think this TLJ helmet will be the best available and the absolute helmet to have. I'm already lining up for mine.

• Like 1

Thank you guys. The print takes a bit longer than expected. But the goal is to have the main master done by the end of November since Im flying over the the UK to meet with Luke from JJ Industries and I'll bring the master for molding and some other stuff :P 

9 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Question.. will these be available as files that can be downloaded/printed, or just as a finished product?

No, I won't share the files. The helmet will be available either as a kit or as a finished helmet

Even if you only offer kits, I think it's a great step in the right direction.  Don't blame you for not sharing files if you don't want to.  The ANOVOS helmets, etc. all had some flaws, so this could make a great upgrade.

Hey guys!

I decided to open a pre-ordering. All the time I wanted to prevent pre-orderings. I simply dont like taking money when I dont have something in hand but sometimes it is necessary.

For transpareny: I ordered the 3d print in PLA, which was a mistake. It would take me months to sand and prep for molding. I need to buy a new print in ABS which is a lot easier to sand and finish. Furthermore the insert piece need to be printed in SLA, which will cost me about 500 Euro alone.

To cover these costs Im opening 10 spots in total for 175 Euro. For that, you'll receive a kit that includes the main helmet, insert, all greebs, visor and nose plate. If you want a finished helmet, you can order one for sure but the finishing fee will be collected once everything is done. If you want the kit only, shipping fees will be also collected once everything is done.

I do take payments via PayPal invoices only, you're protected through PayPal but have to cover the PP fees. If you want to send via F&F, thats also possible, I will send out the invoice without PP fees, you'll have to send the money via friends manually and I will mark the invoice as paid. If you're interested, please send me a PM with your PayPal / EMail address, full name and shipping address.

#1:

#2:

#3:

#4:

#5:

#6:

#7:

#8:

#9:

#10:

All the best

Dino

• Like 1

LbrFu5N.jpg

Got the PLA prototype. The model is absolutely great. Size and shape wise it is to me very very accurate. I may get the small ear greeblies a bit changed. (the bottom part a bit larger, the top greeblie a bit closer to the middle detail. But overall Im very happy with it. Next step is getting all parts SLA printed.

I think most will be waiting to see how it turns out, I know myself I took a punt and purchased something early on renderings only then to find out what was received was a little off.

Looking forward to the progress.

21 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I think most will be waiting to see how it turns out, I know myself I took a punt and purchased something early on renderings only then to find out what was received was a little off.

Looking forward to the progress.

Thats totally fine! :-) Today I'll meet Dan and will compare my prototype with his Gentle Giant TLJ 1:1 helmet and will post comparison pictures :-)

• Like 2

I had the opportunity to give Dan the prototype to compare it with his Anovos TFA and Sideshow TLJ helmet. It seems that my helmet is slightly bigger but proportionwise it is pretty good :)

KdWweej.jpg

1H8Stbq.jpg

fn0MQH6.jpg

All the best

Dino

• Like 2

Hey guys,

the resin print started and I hope to get it this month. 

JKInwGY.png

This is also an information for the pre ordering. I totally understand that you want to wait until the final casts are done. Though I want to say, that I have to add 19% VAT on my stuff (at least for people within the EU). Again, its totally up to you, the resin master is paid but I thought that its a good idea to mention the VAT stuff. I hate it but Germany wants to cash as well. :-/

All the best

Dino

Not. Hyped. At. All!

They shipped the helmet on Thursday or Friday and it just got delivered!!! oO Thats service!

Just a little clean up work and then its ready for molding!

pxRKKY8.jpg

hSmmPxt.jpg

Remember that I have to add 19% VAT from the beginning of next year for all european customers. If you want to pre order, now is the time! :-D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey all!

It has been very silent here but some stuff happened.

I shipped the helmet to Luke for mold prepping.  The original plan was, that I fly over to him and mold the project with him. Basically because he is a wizard in prop making and I wanted to look over his shoulders so to say. Unfortunately that didnt happen but still Luke prepped the helmet and closed the face front. Thanks buddy !!

2 days ago I got the helmet back and immediately started on some mods. As pointed out earlier, the vent slots on the sides were too small. Dan compared the helmet with the Gentle Giant helmet. Mine were 9mm in length, the Gentle Giant 12mm. So I decided to make them a little bigger. 

I opened the slots from the inside to make sanding easier with a file. The results are pretty good imho :-)

I measured all slots and drew lines for reference.

5DxE40x.jpg

5yhUDp5.jpg

Result:

UroPsgH.jpg

IpwW2tB.jpg

I will sand down a little more material from the inside, because right now, the slots are too deep imho and it may affect the lifespan of the mold, if the slots are too deep. 

Also I will make the slots for the clip greeblies a little bigger. Molding is definetly planned for the next weekend. :-)

All the best

Dino

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

small update here. I managed to mold the insert piece. My buddy polished the nose plate and helmet to perfection. We did not manage to mold the helmet itself. I found out that the area for the clip greeblies are 1 or 2 mm to small. Therefore I will mod these parts this week.

I dont know if its possible to post videos here. This is my facebook page with the video update post.

We are very close and I appreciate the patience of everyone, who pre ordered this helmet. I want to make everything as accurate and perfect as possible to make everyone happy 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update time!

We are close!

Actually so close, that I plan to cast the first kits next week.

Today I did the first half of the helmet mold. Insert piece and nose plate are already molded :-)

dOYzGuY.jpg

All the best,

Dino

• Like 1