Darth Katz

Hello! I'm somewhat new here. From Michigan. Need armor help!

I am already approved as an IC and a Jedi.  I am very interested in doing a white armor TK and after reading about the different armor (ABS or HIPS) I'm confused as to which one would be great for a beginner. 

I'm 5'7 and a half". Female. Broad shoulders.  155lbs. I don't have any cutting tools or a work shop of any kind.  I do wish to troop at least twice a month.  

Recommended ABS or HIPS?   Trimmed or untrimmed? 

Help?  Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks much.  

Hello and welcome aboard, lots of great info in the getting started section. Also have a read through some of the build threads, lots of female builds with similar sizing there.

Hi Andrea and welcome to the FISD!  Well I can tell you that most kits just come in ABS nowadays.  RS props has a PVC kit as well.  But I will tell you that if you plan on putting a set of armor together then you will need some room to work on it.  Even if you get a trimmed kit you will still need most of the basic tools to assemble it.  I suggest reaching out to a garrison mate and see if there are any armor parties coming up or if you can have someone help lend you some of the tools.  Here are some very useful links:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31404-supply-list-for-your-tk-build/

These will help you get started.  Ask us any questions you may have.

Welcome, looks like you got the basic links so that’s good. If your looking for personal opinions. I say ABS all the way. As for trimmed or not your gonna need to trim it to fit unless you buy one custom made which is quite expensive and could end up not fitting properly anyway. I don’t have a work shop either and cutting tools are minimal cost. I used a ruler to make straight lines then a razor knife and tin snips (which I only recommend if you have a steady hand). Other then that I did all the trimming and fitting in my bedroom. Used a 2x2 piece of plywood I bought from Home Depot and did all the trimming on that. Had a second slightly longer piece on saw horses in my garage gym area to glue things together so I didn’t get glue on my bedroom carpet. There are ways around not having a fancy workshop you just have to be creative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello Thanks!  I found the armor that I would like but how do I contact someone on the FISD?  I'm looking for Sskunky.   

Go to messages, then create a new one and type his name into the “to” field.

7df5e4c6a61a8b2fd4409497bc60be4c.png

Hello Thanks!  I found the armor that I would like but how do I contact someone on the FISD?  I'm looking for Sskunky.   

Andrea, welcome. Before you reach out to that particular armor provider, I’d check a couple of the others as well. I too am 5’7”, 160lbs. I contacted Mark at AP armor and purchased from him. I found his armor to be great. He gives you options of what to have precut. Like frank said above, you’re gonna pay extra to have someone precut the whole thing and you’ll wind up having to make modifications anyway. I did decide to have Mark at AP trim my helmet for me, though. Glad I did so.

As for having a shop- no need. Like Frank, I worked in my garage on a toolbench. I had such a small area to work because my garage is cluttered with my kids’ toys.

Welcome to an awesome hobby!

Hi and welcome Andrea!  I live in military dorms and built my armor on the floor in a 4.5 x 8.5ft space :laugh1: