Anovos Supplied Strapping Issue

Hello Troopers,

I am having a problem with the straps that are holding my arms together. Whenever I wear it, it seems it fails at the shoulder Bell, and things start sliding downwards. I have Industrial strength Velcro. I wonder if it would be better to use that. Thanks for any input you guys have. 

I scrapped the whole Velcro strapping and glued in snaps.  It seems to hold up a lot better. The Velcro for me was very hard to work with and the glue didn’t seem to want to hold the Velcro. I’m not expert by far. So take my experience with a grain of salt. 

Quite honestly just toss the Anovos supplied and start over.  Black nylon webbing, Tandy Line 10 snaps and E6000 (and some patience) and you'll be good to go.  You can salvage your industrial strength velco, though.  With our Central California heat the sticky back will melt, plus it's just not up to our repetitive stress use.  Reinforce the sticky back with E6000 and let cure for the full 48 hours.

I use a nylon strip with Tandy snaps connections on my shoulder bell to bicep connections, and have never had an issue.  You'll likely need to replace the elastic in the bell to shoulder bridge connection with some stronger-strength stuff than what Anovos hands out.  

You can get nylon webbing at fabric stores, onlinefabricstore.com, fabric.com, etc., and Tandy snaps at tandyleather.com, and E6000 nearly everywhere.  

The Anovos-supplied velcro is garbage. Throw it away.

...and to echo what others have said - Line 24 snaps is a far better strapping solution than velcro. The ONLY places I have velcro on my kit is on the chest so I can suit up by myself, and inside the helmet to mount padding and electronics.

The downside of velcro is since it is repositionable, you may have to tweak strapping every time. With snaps, once you get it dialed in you know you're good to go.

faa7ab6fdc25c02826c0fb2e92bb39c1.jpg

So, I fashioned these out of elastic and hot glue (I wish I could sew.) These are the Bicep to Forarm connectors. 

Should I go single or double snap? I’m thinking double would add a little more stability to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by TK-42134

5 minutes ago, TK-42134 said:

Thank you Joseph.

My pleasure, sir.  Although the single snap is good for that connection, I would highly recommend using 2 on the shoulder elastic to shoulder bell connection.  I have seen more shoulder bells come unsnapped and slip down during troops than you can imagine.  Although most troopers use single snaps on the majority of connections, I went with the double snap method on most others on all my armor.  Yeah, it costs a bit more and takes longer to do, but in my opinion it is well worth it to know that none of my connections will ever fail.

The larger picture is not my armor, but I have the same setup except for the Velcro on the sides, where I also have double snaps.

ai7Saa6.jpg?1     gjzkm33.jpg

• Like 2

I did snaps on the inside of mine, but singles. I have not had problems with the torso, yet. So far, just the arms have been bugging me, so much that I got out of my armor shortly after I started my second troop.

1 hour ago, TK-42134 said:

I did snaps on the inside of mine, but singles. I have not had problems with the torso, yet. So far, just the arms have been bugging me, so much that I got out of my armor shortly after I started my second troop.

What exactly was bugging you?  We should be able to help.

-----------

I made webbing connections from my shoulder bells to my biceps. Before I glue them in, I wanted some input. I made a stack of scrap that will fit in between the raised part of the bell, that way I can glue the plate down. Should I use E-6000? I noticed on the spot on the chest piece, in certain light, the plate gave me what I call “bat nipples”. I’m worried that will happen on my shoulder Bell.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Some people have had issues with snap plates, E6000 and a bump/deformation on the outside of the armor. I would use nylon webbing to attach the snaps if that concerns you, as that does seem to have a less noticeable/no bump from what I have seen.

• Like 1

I would echo exactly what Brien said about the nylon instead of ABS, and nylon also conforms to the curves of the ABS better.  Pardon the pun, but I would stick with E-6000 for everything.  CA (super) glue can heat up while curing and cause the issue you mentioned.  E-6000 does not.  CA glue can (and will) become brittle after time and cause the connection to fail.

• Like 1

Thank you guys. I used that method to connect my shoulder Bell snap to the elastic that connects my chest plate and back plate. I don’t know why I didn’t think of that.

I’m in the process of attaching snap to webbing for gluing. Could one of you awesome troopers provide a photo of what the inside of your arms looks like with the snaps inside?