TLJ Stormtrooper Executioner: Preparing to build

Megaphone

Hi everyone,

I am pretty sure that the first build I am going to attempt myself is going to be TLJ Executioner. I have priced both the KB and Jimmiroquai kits but I have not yet decided which one to go with. I really like the look and detail of Jim's flexible fiberglass kit that I have seen in the various build threads here, but I don't really have any practical reason to prefer it over the ABS kit that KB offers. I recall seeing somewhere that the flexible fiberglass kit allows for the single piece chest/yoke which is more screen accurate versus the ABS kit which requires them to be separate. Given that this will be my first attempt at putting something like this together I would gladly accept take any advice on which material might be more suited a first timer. I am not afraid of a little effort though, and if one is markedly better than the other I am not unwilling to invest the effort. Thanks!

Robyn

Hi there both kits would need bondo and primer/paint so pretty much the same other than joining a few pieces. ABS is lighter than fibreglass and I've seen a few builds noting they had a few cracks in the fibreglass.

I suppose then it comes down to price, shipping and turnaround before shipped.

I would suggest just going through some of the build threads and seeing the pro's and con's for both sets ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

The Jimmi kit is what I wear. The nice thing is the yoke is all one seamless piece. So you don't need to do any gluing/attaching. In fact all his pieces are seamless. So the actual "build" is minimal. It's a fantastic Kit. One thing to note though is if you are like me everything fit, but the legs. I have quite large legs from years of Marching Band, Drum Corps, and soccer. So I had to actually use a dremel to cut them and then shim them bigger.  So there might be adjustments to make as with any armor.

I can't say much for KB kits as I've not had any experience with them, but if you are willing to spend the bit more in shipping costs for Jim's kit (still reasonably priced) He's proven to be one of the best in the community for production, communication, and turn around.

Feel free to check out my build thread for an idea of what it would be like.