MandalorianHelm Requesting Pre Approval Review (AP)

Name: Nick McKinnon

Garrison: Canadian

Armor Maker: Authentic Props

Helmet Maker: Authentic Props

Cloth Belt Maker: Authentic Props
Neck Seal Maker: Geeky Pink (Awaiting Delivery)

Boot Maker: Imperial Boots

TK Type: ANH Stunt

Hi Guys,

My goal is to reach Centurion level approval.  I am awaiting my neck seal which hopefully will be delivered this week and thought if there are any changes to be made prior to submission, why not post my current images for pre-approval. If that is acceptable that is?   

Appreciate all the feedback,

Nick (MandalorianHelm)

gphuX20.jpg

MNZgkK7.jpg

2JKbeYv.jpg

a8dXn7J.jpg

9N4etTZ.jpg

YV4uw03.jpg

Rm10soI.jpg

FcjcZ72.jpg

Mp5mNLu.jpg

KoTdt74.jpg

BEtT8Y6.jpg

Tr2sE6G.jpg

NrUWFwz.jpg

OWDljLC.jpg

Edited by MandalorianHelm
additional images added

Nice work Nick and I would say easy basic approval. It also looks like a pretty clean for EI too.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Nice work, a very clean build, one thing I would suggest is reducing the length of elastic on your drop boxes, will help them sit straight. You could also bring up your an section a little, will give you a bit more room around the thighs.

Good of luck with approval.

• Like 1

Very nice built you have got there.

Say, if you can bring the shoulder bells a bit more closer to your chest plate (by removing all the return edges at the bottom) that will get you closer to the reference photo look.

You are considering EIB application right?

• Like 1

Nick, first off, nice work! I also think you're good for basic approval.

I struggled a little with the AP shoulder bells too since they're a bit smaller than others, so like Arthur suggests I had to keeping trimming the return edge down to get them in closer to the chest. I did leave a bit of return edge to give them some depth though. You might also want to move your shoulder bell snap base from the center of your shoulder strap to the inside edge (closer to your neck), that will help pull the top of the shoulder bells back up & in and assist with closing that chest/bell gap too. Doubling up the elastic for the shoulder strap can help too, makes it stronger and keeps it from pulling out from under the shoulder bridges.

Good luck with approval!

Edited by Scimitar
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, giskard8 said:

Very nice built you have got there.

Say, if you can bring the shoulder bells a bit more closer to your chest plate (by removing all the return edges at the bottom) that will get you closer to the reference photo look.

You are considering EIB application right?

Thanks for the feedback.  Can definitely see how trimming the return edge will help bring it all together.  I am hoping to reach Centurion. :)

11 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Nice work, a very clean build, one thing I would suggest is reducing the length of elastic on your drop boxes, will help them sit straight. You could also bring up your an section a little, will give you a bit more room around the thighs.

Good of luck with approval.

Thanks for the feedback.  Will make those modifications.

10 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Nick, first off, nice work! I also think you're good for basic approval.

I struggled a little with the AP shoulder bells too since they're a bit smaller than others, so like Arthur suggests I had to keeping trimming the return edge down to get them in closer to the chest. I did leave a bit of return edge to give them some depth though. You might also want to move your shoulder bell snap base from the center of your shoulder strap to the inside edge (closer to your neck), that will help pull the top of the shoulder bells back up & in and assist with closing that chest/bell gap too. Doubling up the elastic for the shoulder strap can help too, makes it stronger and keeps it from pulling out from under the shoulder bridges.

Good luck with approval!

Thanks for the feedback Eric.  I was thinking some modification was going to be needed for the shoulder strap positioning.  There are a few things I want to redo in that area.  One of the white elastics is a bit tight and pulling up the chest armor more than i like so going to redo that entire piece sooner than later.

• Like 1

Looks like an easy pass for basic. Echoing the comment regarding the drop box strap length. Would also suggest you secure them to ensure they are correctly aligned with the ends of the ABS belt.

• Like 1

Easy basic pass, EIB looks pretty good once you tighten up the shoulder bells and the belt box elastic.  For Centurion, you'll need the ab/kidney rivets.  There's a lot more to that one, but with the pictures above, you seem well on your way there, at least!

Are your thighs comfortable?  They look really close to the cod- easy way to get nasty armor bites when walking.  

18 minutes ago, sharkbait said:

Easy basic pass, EIB looks pretty good once you tighten up the shoulder bells and the belt box elastic.  For Centurion, you'll need the ab/kidney rivets.  There's a lot more to that one, but with the pictures above, you seem well on your way there, at least!

Are your thighs comfortable?  They look really close to the cod- easy way to get nasty armor bites when walking.  

Thanks for the feedback Rebecca.  Will get on the shoulder bells and elastic very soon.  In terms fo the ab / kidney, I am using the proper rivets.  Hard to see in the picture but here is one from my build thread: 

2MplQJt.jpg

In terms of the thighs, they are more comfortable then they were.  I should be able to pull up the torso when i redo the white elastics i think.  Fingers crossed.

Here is a link to my build thread incase anyone has any other feedback that I should be looking for in terms of Centurion:

5 hours ago, MandalorianHelm said:

Thanks for the feedback Rebecca.  Will get on the shoulder bells and elastic very soon.  In terms fo the ab / kidney, I am using the proper rivets.  Hard to see in the picture but here is one from my build thread: 

I wondered about that!  I couldn't see the back of them on the inside either, so I thought they weren't there.  I admit that did seem odd since you have so many other Centurion details, but they're so simple they're easy to forget.  

Another way to help with the thighs is to trim up the backs of the bottom so they don't grab/pinch behind the knee.  Take small half-moon shaped pieces off and gradually make larger until more comfortable.  That obviously won't help the top pinches, but it does make a world of difference when walking a lot, like in parades and stuff.  Pulling the torso up just a bit should also help with that.  If more is needed, I'd say just trim a slight bit off the tops of the thighs, since there's no return edge there anyway.  You appear to be very close to a great fit, so it would be just minimal modifications.  

And to be fair, we're never done with our mods and our repairs- every costume is always in some state of needing repair or modification.  

• Like 1

Looks very good!  Nice work.  :duim:

As mentioned above, moving the torso up a touch will help out with the thighs. I found that I had to pull my AP armour up nice and snug to get a good fit (I'm 5'10", so that may or may not work for you too). You might have to add straps to your chest to ab connection to pull up the ab if you are shorter. The shoulder bells and drop boxes were mentioned already. Can you pull your shins down any more?  Might help with mobility.  I'm really struggling to find things to point out. :) 

You look great for L1 and even L2 from what I can see. 

A couple of L3 / screen accuracy things might include adding a little white paint to your hovi mics to simulate weathering.  I would lose the back tube stripe that gets partly covered by the ear. 

You did a great job with the sniper knee and the back to kidney seam.  These were things that gave me grief on my build.

I think we will be seeing you at Centurion soon. ;) 

1 hour ago, wook1138 said:

Looks very good!  Nice work.  :duim:

As mentioned above, moving the torso up a touch will help out with the thighs. I found that I had to pull my AP armour up nice and snug to get a good fit (I'm 5'10", so that may or may not work for you too). You might have to add straps to your chest to ab connection to pull up the ab if you are shorter. The shoulder bells and drop boxes were mentioned already. Can you pull your shins down any more?  Might help with mobility.  I'm really struggling to find things to point out. :) 

You look great for L1 and even L2 from what I can see. 

A couple of L3 / screen accuracy things might include adding a little white paint to your hovi mics to simulate weathering.  I would lose the back tube stripe that gets partly covered by the ear. 

You did a great job with the sniper knee and the back to kidney seam.  These were things that gave me grief on my build.

I think we will be seeing you at Centurion soon. ;) 

Thanks for the feedback Greg. 

I am 5'7". I will look into your suggestions about the straps hovi tips and removing the tube stripe.  In terms of the shins, I did trim them a bit at the bottom to bring them down.  They were significantly longer but I am hesitant to trim them anymore as they might look too short.  They seem to be pretty comfortable at the moment when walking so will give it a few troops.  If need be I think I will trip the top portions of the thighs as they are pretty snug.

Glad you are struggling to point things out :)

The sniper knee was a challenge for sure.  Had some tips from a few guys on here on how to tackle it.  Purposely left that to last as I knew it was going to be a huge pain.   

Trimming the top of the thighs is a good place to trim.  You really don't want any return edge up there anyways - trust me.

You are right about the shins - trooping is the best test.  And it is easier to take away plastic than to add it. :duim:

Again, armour looks great. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...