Stripping paint from HDPE

Hey Guys,  I painted my HDPE helmet last night and the final coat came out with a  slight texture to it.

Whats the easiest way to strip all this paint with out sanding out the details of the kit. Is HDPE generally safe to put paint stripper on or should I look for a specialty product?

I do have some scraps left from the build that I can test on before I hit the helmet with a chemical.

That's my general plan but I didn't know if anyone else had done this before and could point me in the right direction.

My plan right now is to use "Aircraft" brand paint stripper, i've seen videos of it used in body shops on plastic pieces, hopefully its ok with HDPE too.

I've seen it used for stripping paint from hot wheels and matchbox cars.

That's my general plan but I didn't know if anyone else had done this before and could point me in the right direction.

My plan right now is to use "Aircraft" brand paint stripper, i've seen videos of it used in body shops on plastic pieces, hopefully its ok with HDPE too.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

Update, I ended up using the newly rebranded Rustoleum "Aircraft" stripper. 

It was the only thing I could find that only said not recommended for plastic. Everything else said do not use on plastic. 

I tested it on a small scrap strip and it worked without any visible damage so I moved onto the real helmet. 

I kept a wash cloth and a water hose handy just in case but it worked perfectly. Had all the paint off in just a little over an hour and zero damage to the helmet. HDPE is apparently pretty resiliant stuff. 

I'll report back if I develop and brittleness or other things that might be a side effect of using the stripper. 

Now onto the pics. 

http://imgur.