PICTREED build

PICTreed

Hey everyone.  I just posted in the New Member section so I'll skip all that.

My brother and I got our ATA suits a few years ago and we are getting started this year.

I think the armor builds great as an ANH stunt so I figured that's what we'll aim for.

I'm ordering the bits and bobs on Amazon for the build today and I have a question about the SPLIT RIVETS.  It says 5/16" on the supply list and I assume that's the length, right?

Are there any other suggestions?

I also need to start looking at boots.

Thanks, Tim

I believe the 5/16th is the just the head size. Boots would be Imperial boots, you could check with TKBoots and see if they have any stock left. Other than that Chelsea boots stripped and painted is your other option.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

You will find a lot of great build threads to follow innthe builds section. Looking forward to the progress, good luck.

14 hours ago, PICTreed said:

Hey everyone.  I just posted in the New Member section so I'll skip all that.

My brother and I got our ATA suits a few years ago and we are getting started this year.

I think the armor builds great as an ANH stunt so I figured that's what we'll aim for.

I'm ordering the bits and bobs on Amazon for the build today and I have a question about the SPLIT RIVETS.  It says 5/16" on the supply list and I assume that's the length, right?

Are there any other suggestions?

I also need to start looking at boots.

Thanks, Tim

If your ATA kit did not come with the 5/16th head rivets, I sell those at my cost, Tim. (See links below my avatar).   As for boots, Jim's suggestion for ImperialBoots  https://www.imperialboots.com/#  was spot-on.  They make a great product (I own 2 pairs) but they now make them in "waves", meaning it could take a month or two to get them.  (More info. on their site).  Just be sure if you order from them to go a size larger than you normally wear, as they run a bit small.

There are other alternatives, like Chelsea boots that you can dye white, just ensure that there is no stitching on the front and that the specs from the CRL (link below) are met.

http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_anh_stunt

When in doubt, just ask and we will be happy to help you!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just ordered the silicone hand guards and split rivets from Joseph 

I saw a TK strap kit from Imperial Boots.  Comments?  Should I just pick all this up locally or is this a complete kit?  Centurion quality?

Looks like I'll be getting my boots from there.

Blaster was ordered a couple years ago from Phoenix Props.  Plan on putting electronics in it.

Got a $70 mannequin for hoots.  Ignore the bucket...it was a gift.  It appears to be a little skinny but I wasn't going to get a normal "plus-size" mannequin for ~$260.  Maybe if it stays in the theater room but I doubt it.

Holster - Darman's

Neck Seal - Darman's

Still need to track down gloves.

Need mic electronics.  Fans...

Need a belt...probably Imperialissue.com

Tim

mannequin.jpg

Edited by PICTreed

If you have the time and space, Tim, I recommend making all your own strapping.  It is not that hard to do as long as you have the right equipment, which can be purchased at Lowe's (soldering iron), snap setting tool (Michaels) and nylon/elastic/Tandy snaps (Joannes fabrics or eBay).

Imperial Boots has two different types of strapping kits available, the EZ kit and the TK ("Classic")  system.  The EZ kit connects things with Velcro.  Not recommended.  With the other, the brackets are screen accurate but you will still need to make your own strapping for other areas besides the torso anyway.

Being as you are building two kits at once, you will probably be better off ordering/buying  the nylon, elastic and such in bulk.

I have a link to a tutorial under my avatar below that can help, and if you have any questions, just let us know!

• Like 2

Gloves
  • Black in color, made of either rubber, nomex, leather, or leather-like material, with no visible straps or logos/designs. The fingers are enclosed, non-textured.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):
  • Gloves shall be rubber or rubber-like chemical gloves, in black.

ESB only

• Gloves may be black silk, satin, or silk-like material.

3 hours ago, PICTreed said:

Is the elastic knit or woven.  Or does it matter?

For the strapping?

If so there are a couple of different types but I prefer the heavy duty woven, is a bit stronger and seems to last longer.

Image result for heavy duty elastic

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

For the strapping?

If so there are a couple of different types but I prefer the heavy duty woven, is a bit stronger and seems to last longer.

Image result for heavy duty elastic

Sorry, should have been clear.  The straps is what I meant.

Once I told a fellow aviator that on a night flight in a Cessna I lost all power.  He asked if I ran out of gas.  Oops, I meant electrical power.

I stopped by JoAnn's and got most of what I need and I got the strongest versions they had.

Thanks.

• Like 3

For the strapping it really depends on where it is attaching and what you want it to do.

Nylon is great for holding things in place and limit its movement

Elastic is great for when you need flexibility and the ability for the part to move "breath" 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have all the build materials now.  Picked up the proper gloves and will start on those.  I guess I need to look at the pictures and just try to line it up as the reference photos show?

For the blue and black buttons on the ab I thought about printing some round vinyl paint masks so the circles will come out perfectly round.  Pics to come.

While waiting I started printing an Inferno/TIE Pilot helmet.  Takes a long time!  It will get assembled, cleaned up, and probably molded so I can pull some a carbon fiber helmet.  I have some yellow kevlar, that might look kind of cool too as a prop.  Each half of the helmet will take 2-1/2 days!  Too bad we don't have a section here to post TI stuff.  I may have to make a clay bust first to adjust some things...we will see what it looks like after assembly.

Inferno Helmet.jpg

Edited by PICTreed
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, PICTreed said:

It said to create a ticket which I did and I've had no response.

You could try contacting JRS command staff to see if they can help you resolve your issues

DL: ptbenz@gmail.com, XO: corellianimports@aol.com