Clayton's ANH Stunt Build - RS

Clayton

Hey ya'll, 

I've always loved Star Wars since I was little. Didn't care much for the Jedi or the Sith, my eyes have always been on the troopers of the Star Wars universe. Having recently gone to Disney and seeing the new Star Wars area being constructed in Hollywood Studios and all of the awesome characters walking around I just couldn't take it anymore. When I got back to my hotel I did a few hours of research and ended up placing an order for a set of RSPM armor that night. 

BBB day has come and gone and after opening everything up and making sure I wasn't missing any parts (more work than you'd think seeing as nothing came labeled...) I came to the conclusion that this project was going to be far too messy to take on in my office. I decided to move everything over to my shop/car washing bay. 

ASdLq5Q.jpg

After a trip to Micheal's and Lowe's I assembeled just about everything I needed for this build. I had to order some Humbrol paint and a few other miscellaneous items from Amazon. 

lvOY3uX.jpg

Here is the armor, in all of its bumpy glory.

uPksz3n.jpg

I feel like puking looking at all of this armor just sitting here. This is my first time ever attempting anything close to this so wish my luck. Thankfully I'm around the same dimensions as the actors whom this armor was made for at 6'0" 165lbs so hopefully that means less trimming. 

I figured it was best to start working from the bottom and do the helmet last so that the most important piece is done with the most experience. I've already trimmed up the shins, only question I have is how snug should they be? Right now they are very loose when taped up and they rest on my shoes. Are they supposed to hold themselves up or just kind of flop around? 

ye8pa2C.jpg

I look forward to joining the Empire! Here we gooo!!

• Like 1

Congrats and welcome! The shins really should be fitted with your boots and any fittings should be done with your undersuit.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

I like the organization and prep work to get all the tools in order before the build. Looks like you've done your research.

I have an RS kit and it went together pretty easily.
Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Wow your shed is so clean!, mine often looks like a war zone!

Take your time and check others build threads, always ask if unsure on any fitment.

Before any final trimming see how it all fits on you to check how parts relate to each other in terms of proportion.

When I build armour I generally leave enough gap to fit a finger between skin and armour, a little more at the top of the thighs and maybe biceps to allow for muscle flex.

Always check shin pieces with your boots on.

Take your time and you will get there, slow and steady wins the race!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Nice “shed”

First step though, take that heat gun and put it away. It’s far too harsh for the ABS kit and all it will do is ruin what ever you point it at.

As for the fitting, get everything rough trimmed then before fitting get your under suit and boots. They do make a surprising difference to the end fit. Once you have that all sorted it’s much easier to make valid sizing decisions.

• Like 1

Alright so I took yall's advice about sizing with my undersuit/boots are on. Since my boots haven't arrived yet I started working on the arms. 

I have the left forearm sized appropriately (I think) but I'm having trouble gluing it together. Since the pieces don't line up perfectly the plastic needs to flex a bit. Unfortunately I decided to go with e6000 and it just isn't setting quick enough. I might be able to do it with an extra set of hands. 

What do you think, switch to zap a gap or bribe some friends to come help? 

Thanks!

Yeah it is a slow process with E-6000. Best advice clamps, magnets, clamps, painters tape, clamps. Wait 24-48 hours and release the clamps, magnets and tape.

Alright so I took yall's advice about sizing with my undersuit/boots are on. Since my boots haven't arrived yet I started working on the arms. 

I have the left forearm sized appropriately (I think) but I'm having trouble gluing it together. Since the pieces don't line up perfectly the plastic needs to flex a bit. Unfortunately I decided to go with e6000 and it just isn't setting quick enough. I might be able to do it with an extra set of hands. 

What do you think, switch to zap a gap or bribe some friends to come help? 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Rat said:

Yeah it is a slow process with E-6000. Best advice clamps, magnets, clamps, painters tape, clamps. Wait 24-48 hours and release the clamps, magnets and tape.

I finally got it by clamping down one half of the arm without glue and also clamping down half of the cover strip at a time. This was after half an hour of scraping off the E-6000 left by my previous attempts with my nonexistent fingernails. 

I have the left forearm and bicep clamped for the night. Since I'm out of clamps I'm going to start working on the pieces that don't require any gluing like the clam shell. 

• Like 1

Who cares about the armor...let’s talk about the car!!
how fast have you gotten that bad boy? I was the first to get my old man’s C5 over 100MPH. I am never allowed to drive it again and its willed to my sister.

• Like 3

Who cares about the armor...let’s talk about the car!!
how fast have you gotten that bad boy? I was the first to get my old man’s C5 over 100MPH. I am never allowed to drive it again and its willed to my sister.
Hahahaha! I laugh but that is truly sad.