I am SO close! Couple more questions...

rzill

OK, I am so close!!  Don't be too proud of me, as a friend offered to construct my helmet for my TK.  Anywhoo, a couple questions.  First, what is the best head gear for the inside of the helmet?  Hard hat liner, velcro, leeches?  I mean, they'd kinda hurt, but would stick to my head.

Second, maybe kinda nit picky, but I am about to paint the ab buttons.  I have the correct paint, but is there a special kind of paint brush that leaves the least amount of streaks?  

Thanks!  And I will be posting pics for my pre-approval within a couple weeks - SOOO geeked!

On padding some use the liners, others use foam stars and others like me use the tactical pads. Like these here--------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

On 10/1/2018 at 9:38 AM, Rat said:

On padding some use the liners, others use foam stars and others like me use the tactical pads. Like these here.----------
Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Tactical pads?  Is that anything like the pads sold at Michaels?  They are firm, but flexible - not as porous as foam.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

They are more like very thick mousepads than foam (at least mine are). They sell ‘em on Amazon for fairly cheap, think I paid 10/15 dollars for a set.

Edited by Harbinger
  • Like 2

I like to use foam, I have a thin clover leaf piece in the top and a larger piece each side before my ears, keeps the helmet on snug and doesn't move when you shake your head. The foam is attached via Velcro so I can take out and wash when needed, the sweat does tend to build up ;) 

For painting I use a combination of a fine tip and a square tip depending on what area I'm doing.

Template can be found here

• Like 1

I personally use foam.  I went for dirt cheap.  That was best for me.  I cut 3” x 3” and hot-glued them around my helmet.  I spaced them such, so I could install electronics wedged in between like cylindrical USB batteries, circuit boards, etc.  Consider wearing a cap or bandana to help absorb the sweat.

• Like 1

You could try making a stencil for the ab buttons, you'd still have to paint carefully as you could get some bleeding.

I found it easier to paint on the circles as best you can with a small brush, then tidy up with a couple of toothpicks, worked a charm!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I used these on my last build, and they worked out great!  The nice thing is that they are held on with Velcro so can be easily removed for cleaning:

-----------

As for keeping it on your head, I have found that once you put the pads in they will pretty much keep it in place, even when you tilt your head down.

NOTE:  On my first bucket, I put pads on the top of the inside, but found that it rode really high and I was constantly tilting it forward just to be able to see.  After removing it I had no problems, and the side pads keep it in place just fine.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed
  • Like 1

I used these on my last build, and they worked out great!  The nice thing is that they are held on with Velcro so can be easily removed for cleaning:

---------

As for keeping it on your head, I have found that once you put the pads in they will pretty much keep it in place, even when you tilt your head down.

NOTE:  On my first bucket, I put pads on the top of the inside, but found that it rode really high and I was constantly tilting it forward just to be able to see.  After removing it I had no problems, and the side pads keep it in place just fine.

You can order stencils for the ab button plates on Trooperbay:  https://trooperbay.com/abdominal-plate-masking-template

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

12 hours ago, Bud Spaklur said:

I lined the entire inside of my helmet with the soft side of Velcro. I did this because it allows me to move my electronics and padding daily throughout the helmet, anytime I want. It works very well. I know others use plastidip, and I know of some using neoprene strips. I also use the tactical pads as others mentioned above. I have pics of my helmet on my build thread if you’re curious. 

Thanks  :)  I just ordered tactical pads.  Seems the best option both for secure fitting and cleaning.  I did post this a while ago, but might as well ask you - what speaker system do you have, and do you like it?  I may not need a fan here in Michigan until the spring.

Thanks    I just ordered tactical pads.  Seems the best option both for secure fitting and cleaning.  I did post this a while ago, but might as well ask you - what speaker system do you have, and do you like it?  I may not need a fan here in Michigan until the spring.
I prefer a fan whatever the weather, as I find the lenses can get a bit foggy. All depends on how much free space you've got in your lid; the more padding and the bigger head you have (like me haha), the more likely it is to fog up

• Like 1

I use an Aker 1506 and an Icomm like many others, no issues with the Aker after 6 years but I did have to replace the back up battery in the Icomm. A really good system and if you add a speaker output to your blaster you can also run a cable to that into the Aker and really get some blaster sounds blaring (or a baton, laser ax ;) )

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 5:17 PM, justjoseph63 said:

-----------

Trying to ask more questions without clogging up the thread board.  I am cutting my own holster straps for the TK stunt.  I saw on another post, but wasn't sure which Trooper it was for, that the width is about 20mm.  Is this about right?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

3 hours ago, rzill said:

Trying to ask more questions without clogging up the thread board.  I am cutting my own holster straps for the TK stunt.  I saw on another post, but wasn't sure which Trooper it was for, that the width is about 20mm.  Is this about right?

20mm will be fine

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rzill said:

Duh, to myself, I also meant to ask the length.  

Here is also the positioning on belt

Image result for billhag holster

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 4:02 PM, BaneLives85 said:

You could try making a stencil for the ab buttons, you'd still have to paint carefully as you could get some bleeding.

I found it easier to paint on the circles as best you can with a small brush, then tidy up with a couple of toothpicks, worked a charm!

Nice tip about the toothpick!  Here is my first round of painting...  d9XTvrE.jpeg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated
  • Like 1

On 10/8/2018 at 5:12 AM, rzill said:
Nice tip about the toothpick!  Here is my first round of painting...  d9XTvrE.jpeg

Looks great! You've done a better job than I did lol

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated
  • Like 1

On 10/8/2018 at 5:12 AM, rzill said:

Nice tip about the toothpick!  Here is my first round of painting...  

When adding photos make sure you use the "direct" link or alternatively right click and copy ;) 

d9XTvrE.jpg

When adding photos make sure you use the "direct" link or alternatively right click and copy  

d9XTvrE.jpg&key=18d03a8ca26d36c93843d7515fb09968ad9f7ae7d0bf6c3e9fea7d48661ff626

That looks like a RO ab.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk