Rogue One TK Glove comparison IB vs EF

11b30b4

Well this is not something I would have thought that I would need to consider; however, recent experience has caused me to investigate this issue, here is what I have learned.

When I started my ROTK build, the only supplier of ROTK gloves that I knew of was Imperial Boots (IB). IB calls these gloves Anthology Trooper Gloves (ATG) and they sell them for $69.90 plus shipping from the Philippines. I just checked their web site and they have reduced the price to $59.90 plus shipping.

https://www.imperialboots.com/product/anthology-trooper-glove-shore-trooper/

So I purchased a set of the ATGs along with the T-7 boots for my ROTK build. When I received the gloves I tried them on to test the fit and the wrist immediately separated from the gloves in several areas. Additionally, the side seam separated as well. I assumed that I may have received a bad pair that were not stitched properly and decided to not contact IB about the issue since I had a sewing machine and I did not want to wait for the extended shipping from the Philippines.

I re-stitched the gloves and did not give it another thought. I put the gloves on several times since then for application pictures and test fitting of the armor as I built it. My first troop in my ROTK was at DragonCon 2018. This was 4 months after I purchased the gloves. During the 3 hours I wore my kit, I observed that the gloves seams along the thumb had separated. I detailed all of this in my ROTK build here on FISD.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/44463-11b30b4’s-rotk-build/

In this picture you can see the re-stitched wrist (Yellow Circle), the freying of the elastic wrist from contact with Velcro (Red Cricle) I assume, and the separated seam on the thumb.

i9C6x1w.jpg

So after DragonCon I first did a search to see if the gloves that they used for the screen version was a modified off-the-shelf glove. I was unable to discover any existing gloves that match what was used for the movie; however, I did find another manufacturer who sells a ROTK glove.

The company is Endor Finders (EF) and they are located in the USA. EF sells a Rogue One Trooper Glove for $55.00 plus shipping. So I ordered a set and received them.

https://www.endorfinders.com/costume-accessories/rogue-one-trooper-gloves

Shortly after I ordered the glove from EF, I contacted IB about the issues I have had with the ATG gloves. After a few back and forth e-mails, IB sent me a new pair of the ATG gloves. I won’t say it was a painless experience but they did replace the gloves so there is that. I have held off doing this comparison until I received the replacement ATG gloves and now that I have them, it is now time to do this.

At first look both gloves look almost identical. Honestly, I expected the gloves from EF to be the exact same as what IB sells. Once I got the EF gloves I quickly noticed the differences.

vwca1vs.jpg

p95QQWt.jpg

As you can see the cuff on the EF gloves is longer although both gloves are the same size. The EF gloves fit a bit tighter but that is because they are lined on the inside while the IB gloves are not lined.

Here is the palm and back of the IB glove.

9PHMtYP.jpg

fdud5vs.jpg

And this is the EF palm and back.

dXKNOha.jpg

e6gFvVa.jpg

A side by side of EF (left) and IB (right)

IuHN6KG.jpg

Inside lining of the EF (Left) and no liner on the IB glove (Right).

UJSYFfO.jpg

Inside the EF glove.

5hfUOg2.jpg

Inside the IB glove.

c9AS6ML.jpg

Wrist of the EF glove.

NPhl9N5.jpg

Wrist of the IB glove.

cS0gIj7.jpg

The EF glove with armor.

c7ES2HJ.jpg

The IB glove with armor.

GzpZo2l.jpg

My observations:

1.       The ribbed fabric used by each manufacturer is different. So I looked at some reference pictures from SW celebration.

In this picture the glove fabric looks like the grid fabric used by EF.

vavOOsf.jpg

However, in these pictures, the fabric looks more like the ribbed fabric used by IB.

0kxt6tP.jpg

tbI4r2J.jpg

So I am at a loss to determine which is correct. I suppose that both could be correct.

2.       The wrist on the EF glove is fabric and not elastic. The fabric on the IB glove is elastic.

3.       The EF glove is lined and fits like an Isotoner while the IB gloves are unlined and fit like Mechanix gloves.

4.       The stitching quality appears to be better in the RF gloves while even the new IB gloves are poorly stitched.

5.       The Velcor patches on the back of the EF gloves are opposite (One soft and one hard) while the Velcro patches on the back of the IB gloves are both soft.

6.       The leather on both gloves looks to of similar type and quality and screen accurate.

Conclusion:

The EF glove seems to be a better product and is sold for a few dollars less than the IB glove. I have not trooped the EF glove as of yet, so my opinion may change once I get more experience with them but I doubt it. I hope that some of you find this information helpful. Happy trooping.

• Like 11

• 2 years later...

Sorry to excavate an old thread.
First of all thank you for this detailed comparison.
Now I'd like to know if there have been further changes to the gloves from both suppliers and additional experinces?
I currently have to decide which supplier to chose. And I tend to the IBs (reasoning see bleow)

I like to add some aspects to the possible pros and cons of both products.

1. Lining
I think the material of the lining of the EF might be disadvantegous as it seems to be faux fur (?) as used in winter boots and I can imagine this might add to temperature and may be a problem after sweating -> washing.
Whst are the experiences regarding the lining in practice?

2. cuffs
The cuffs of the EF seem to be using a certain type of elastic band.
The problem with these (if I have recognized these corectly) are that with age the rubber contained may develop problems
(have the problem with my Scout Trooper thigh and cummerbund straps -> stiff/brittle and partially remaining expanded).
So these might have to be replaced somewhen.
Of course we are speaking of time frames up to a decade+ - so maybe that is not that much of an issue for most people and may vary a lot depending on other factors like care.

2. palm padding
I noticed the padding of the palms seem to be better defined/rasied at the shown example of the IBs, while the EF seem to be less prnounced with a rather flat spherical shape.
Personally I prefer the loook of the padding form the IBs and additionally it seems to be more screen accurate as well looking at some pictures.
Has this part changed with the current EFs?

The problem with the linear ribbed pattern vs the grid pattern is tricky. Have there been new revelations solving this issue?
I could not find better pcitures but this uncertainty is really bugging me. Grid pattern feels  better though as far as I am concerned.

• 2 months later...

TB-7076, sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I did not have notifications set up on this thread. 

IMHO, the EF glove is the better glove. The stitching and the materials used on the EF glove do not wear as quickly as the IB gloves do. As for the lining, I have not had an issue with the lining in the EF glove and I live in the Southern United States. DragonCon parade is in late august where we normally see 90 degrees F with 100% humidity and the glove are not an issue. The lining is slightly shaggy but it is not a faux fur, it just looks that way in the pics. 

Ultimately, the glove cost about the same from each vender and will only last for a few years depending on how often you troop and how you take care of them. More than likely you will need to replace them at some point so I recommend you do as I did and buy one set from one vender and when you need to replace them, try the other vendor.

Good luck.

A great thread and still very relevant and should continue to be so into the future.

Do we have a comparison on the IB and Gio's boots (Crow Props). I know there are some visible differences with the pattern around the rubber base but would love to see a similar comparison made as this would suit both our future R1 and Anthology troopers as well as our First order troopers (same boot)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just if anyone was curious, I removed the liners from my Endor Finders gloves the other day, as they were hot and difficult to get on and off (especially when sweaty). It was pretty easy to turn them inside out and cut along the wrist, then at the end of each finger tip, to remove the liner.

r24OQiR.jpg

You can see that the material is pretty shaggy, and I am glad I removed them. I'm starting to get a small hole at the wrist that I'll probably need to repair as a result of my mod, but still worth it for hot weather, imo.

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 3

Sly11, I agree a nice comparison of boots would be helpful. I wear a US size 10 regular. I already have IB boots so feel free to buy me a set of the Crow Props and ship them to me ;)and I will be more than happy to do the comparison.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, 11b30b4 said:

Sly11, I agree a nice comparison of boots would be helpful. I wear a US size 10 regular. I already have IB boots so feel free to buy me a set of the Crow Props and ship them to me ;)and I will be more than happy to do the comparison.

:laugh1:

Hopefully we have someone on FISD that can share some Crow Props boot photos and we get your IB images and we can create a comparison that way.

Ultimately I think it will help any looking for specific components. I'd love to see side by side comparisons of WTF v KB v 850 armour and the like so we have more FO information in one place to also help those looking to go down the First Order route.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...