Jezza's ATA Stormtrooper - Commision Build

gmrhodes13

Well I've had that itch for a while now, needed to crack open a box of crispy white ABS and smell the burnt plastic in the air, luckily I have been commissioned to build an ANH Stormtrooper for a fellow member so I thought I would also share it here.

This is a set of ATA armour purchased by a local member (Jerry) recently from another one of our members (Russell), it's definitely matured as Russell had purchased the kits just before I joined the legion over 6 years ago, it was talking to Russell about these sets of armour that prompted me to join.

So anyway here we go, time to start trimming.

First I like to mark trim lines with a pencil, easy to rub off again.

Being ATA it is a little thicker ABS than most other armor so I like to use a rotary tool with a cutting disk to roughly trim. Time for the first cut

For those pieces having cover strips added, arms/biceps 15mm, thighs/shin fronts 20mm and backs 25mm, divide by 2 and you have how far you need to trim from the outside ridge.

Here is the first thigh so 1/2 of 20mm is 10mm, so measure from the curve section ends on the top of the ridge by 10mm. I like to use a steel ruler and clamps to get a nice straight line.

As this is a build for Jerry I'm going to leave some extra material on the backs of pieces for a test fitting, I prefer to have the fronts a standard size and adjust the rears if needed, you can always trim off but it's hard to add on .

I like to use a sanding drum attachment to get excess ABS off.

Also go around all the edges with some fine sandpaper to get rid of any sharp edges, you don't want "armor bites"

Then to get those lines really straight a long sanding block.

Normally I would trim everything in one go but due to some issues with my hands I find it's easier to take a break from trimming and do some assembly.

On to assembling the thighs, I use some painters tape and clamps to fit the pieces together to make sure they align well top and bottom.

Then tape across the centres to pull them together.

You can then lay a piece of tape down the length of the inside of the thigh.

Pull off the outside tape and make sure you rough up the pieces with some sandpaper where the cover strips will fit.

Time to make some cover strips. I like to use one long ruler and another to measure widths, mark with a pencil, then score down 3 or 4 times, you can then snap the piece off.

Lay the cover strip on top of thigh and mark then trim length and round the corners to take away the sharp edge.

When you are happy you can then add some E6000 glue down the middle of the cover strip, spread with some scrap ABS and with clamps and magnets apply to thigh. I also like to use painters tape on any sections that don't pull down quite enough.

As I said earlier I won't be gluing the backs until we have had a trial fit.

Not going to bore you will assembling every single piece, besides when I'm on a roll I tend to forget to take photos :laugh1:

Continue with the other thigh, then shins, biceps and then forearms. Just make sure you have the correct width cuts and matching cover strips.

Well isn't that just life, just when you think everything is going to plan BANG and a cloud of smoke in your face %%

There was nothing I could do, so alas it's with a heavy heart that I must report the passing of a very dear friend.

We have gone through the good times and the bad, so many happy moments, the day you first came home, opening the box, that smell of new plastic.

It wasn't all good times though, we did hit a rough patch, I sometimes expected too much from you, a week turn around FOTK armour build was a little too much for you, thinking I had lost you but all you needed was some new brushes, thank goodness that is all it was.

I haven't been able to use you much over the last 12 months and I feel I have neglected you, I'm sure it was just too much for you to start another armour build.

I'm sorry Ozito, you will be dearly missed, you where more than just a knock off Dremel rotary tool, you where my friend.

RIP Ozito 24th September 2018

And with that it's time to call it a day
  • Like 2

Looking fantastic, Glen, and great detailed pics!  I really like the idea of using a long sanding block on the straight edges... brilliant!  Although I send my sincere condolences for Ozito, that could very well be one of the funniest photos I have seen in a long, long time.  

• Like 2

Thank you Joseph, his passing was so sudden.

A new day and feeling a bit better, trimming continues.

I like to add inside strips just for a little more strength, some don't but I think they are especially important on the shins, with the constant opening and closing some extra strength is a good idea.

Plenty of ABS strips left from the trimming, so cut them down to size, sand and glue to the insides.

Within no time you'll have all the inner strips attached.

Continuing trimming, again the sanding block comes in handy for nice straight lines.

Add a guide line to the plastic belt and knee ammo strip, will help when it comes to trimming. Hold the pencil in the desired spot, keep your fingers against the other side and pull the pencil along.

Once you have everything trimmed you can mark out the holes and angled edges on the belt.

After the rough trim of the ab plates you can measure against the ab and trim to match.

Getting the drop box backs nice and flat, if anyone is interested these are trimmed to 15mm.

Now I do prefer using a rotary tool, many like using the score and snap method, what ever works for you. The advantages of using a rotary tool is you can save a lot of time, downfall is you'll end up with a lap full of ABS filings, now as long as you have nothing else on your chair you can save these for later to make ABS paste if it's needed. Just make sure it isn't contaminated with any other particles or the colour can change slightly.

I always advise people to do their research before starting their build, it's a lot easier having info and references close by when you are trimming rather than having to stop and go online and search with every piece, then in no time flat, trimming is almost complete.

• Like 2

Maybe once or twice Rat ;) 

Just marking out spacing for the side rivets, will have to leave this until trial fit, see if any shims will be needed.

Time to make some snap plates, I used to use abs plates but find the nylon conforms to the armor better and there is no need for any heat.

You can never have enough magnets, clamps or tape, in fact I've ordered another 50 magnets ;)

Next start gluing them, a few pieces of scrap abs can help keep the nylon flat.

Almost done.

• Like 3

One thing I haven't been happy with over the years is the belt system used to hold up the thighs, the strain from the elastic around the belt makes it bunch up in turn the hanging thigh straps can move around. Been thinking of a solution for a while and came up with a bracket which keeps the belt from bunching as well as it allows sideways and up/down adjustment. Only at the prototype stage and of course will need to be tested but we will see how it goes.

The way I have made them allows two different ways of running the elastic through, if you leave the top slot open you can also add suspenders to the system and still the belt won't bunch. Diagram of the bracket in the top right of the photo below, with the two options of strapping.

• Like 1

Did a test fitting and arms and legs are fine and can all be trimmed to standard minimum size, ab/kidney will need some side shims attaching.

First to make the shims and rear panels to attach them to the kidney section.

Making sure there is as little gap as possible.

Using JB Weld, worked great on my FOTK so shims should hold just nicely.

Glued in place and once dry will grind a V down the centre of the gap and fill with some ABS paste.

Rest of the pieces trimmed and cover strips attached, also managed to glue on Velcro to the shins and cover strip.

Now to wait for everything to dry once again.

13 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

One thing I haven't been happy with over the years is the belt system used to hold up the thighs

When using a leather belt there`s no issue:)

Great work - you make it look "all to easy" (said with a deep Vader voice):th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

• Like 2

A little more achieved, Velcro and rear cover strips glued on.

Jerry managed to find some 60mm OD pipe, very hard to find these days, cut to correct length and sanding the ends so the caps fit nicely.

Last of the inner strips glued in.

ABS paste mixed up and been sitting for a few hours and ready to apply, messy stuff but most will be sanded off.

A few more bits done.

TD painted and belt holes drilled and corners cut.

Sniper plate and ammo strips attached, also glued in last of snap plates.

Shoulder straps glued.

Also started sanding the ABS paste on the kidney, a couple of areas needed a little more paste, back to sanding tomorrow.

Fiddly jobs underway

Elastic straps fitted to drop boxes

Adjustable chest/ab strapping

Shoulder straps

Now that the shims are done side rivets added and painted

Plastic belt attached to canvas belt

And snaps added to ab

TD plate painted and plate attached, also painted ab buttons.

Elastic attached to hand plates.

Next glue ab button plates once paint is dry, glue button covers to belt, then give everything a polish.

• Like 2

Thanks Jim Rat :salute:

After receiving a delivery of aluminium strips (thanks Jerry) TD clips are made.

And fitted to TD with pan head screws (now black).

Armor given a polish to get off any remaining glue residue. Drop box backs attached and glue drying.

Next will be a trial fit of the strapping and make any adjustments needed. #:

• Like 1

Had a chance on the weekend for Jerry to do test fit of the armor, strapping on chest needed adjusting, braces to add to the belt to keep the thighs up a little higher. Also needed to heat the left shin, pinching on the sides of Jerry's ankle bones, a little tweaking and done.

We did encounter the Velcro on the back of the shins pulling off, never had any issues before with E6000 and normal Velcro, mine haven't move in 6 years, the glue had dried properly and could even see the imprint of the Velcro in the glue but it just didn't hold. Scrapped the old glue off and used a new tube in case the other was too old, also used a heavier industrial Velcro, waiting for the glue to dry now.

Also added rivets and snaps to the belt for the holster.

So that's pretty much it, we are done ^$

• Like 1