I goofed and damaged my completed bucket

Poseidon

I was removing the clips I had glued into my helmet in order to install my lenses using Sugru, and I goofed up bad. I tore a small hole out of the faceplate, just below the eye. The helmet is a Troopermaster ANH Hero helmet, that is 2mm with Acrylic capped ABS.

Before I begin my repair, I wanted to ask some questions to the hive mind.

Here are my options as I see them

-I have the chunk with the missing piece still glued onto the clip. I could glue it back in place with the clip as a backing and maybe use some Novus polish to hide the edges of the hole (probably my best bet)

-Do the above, but use ABS paste to fill in the gaps around the hole, stil using Novus polish

-I could build up the area with ABS paste, gently sand it, and then use polish to help hide it

Or do any of this without using polish at all.

Thoughts?

9 minutes ago, Rat said:

I would suggest adding a backing piece and then filling with abs paste, sanding and then novus.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

What Rat said ^^

• Like 1

I didn't ruin it exactly. Just created an opportunity to improve my skills in a slightly dramatic and potentially expensive fashion.

And busier then ever with non-costuming activities. Which is what I get when I sit down to try to make improvements :(

Edited by Poseidon
  • Like 4

Capped ABS is always going to show the repair as the acrylic cap is far whiter than the ABS will be.

It may be less noticeable if you glue in the chunk.

Alternatively TM sell spares.

I glued in the chunk and smoothed things over with ABS paste. Sanded it down using 400 grit. From 10 feet its invisible. I have Novus polish on order, and hopefully that will help hide it a bit more.

• Like 1

Once you have sanded as flat as you can try using some finer sandpaper, 600, 1200 and then ultrafine, it will help to get rid of the scratches the course sandpaper left. Also use an automotive cutting compound will help to bring the shine back ;) 

• Like 1

Once you have sanded as flat as you can try using some finer sandpaper, 600, 1200 and then ultrafine, it will help to get rid of the scratches the course sandpaper left. Also use an automotive cutting compound will help to bring the shine back  
Was going to suggest the higher grit later as well, but you beat me to it Glen.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 9/22/2018 at 5:51 PM, Poseidon said:

From 10 feet its invisible. I have Novus polish on order, and hopefully that will help hide it a bit more.

Alot of things are invisible from 10 feet away lol!  you did a good job if its not visible within 3 feet, but like other have suggested go 1200-1500 then polish using any car polish.

good luck!

Edited by ABS80

My best advice would be to change to HWT and chalk it up to battle damage, Tom.  (I may be just a little bit biased on that, though).  ;)

I really doubt anyone will notice, Tom, but you seem to be a bit OCD (like me, lol).  If you do decide to get a new bucket, as Mark mentioned I would cut down the ears a bit more.  (REALLY nice job on removing the gaps around them, though)! :duim:

Reference image

5SuJuy5.jpg?1   NfLaX9V.jpg?1