A question from one Military Vet to Another........

TK-42775

So I retired after 22 years in the Army, (Did a tour in Iraq, and was stationed in Kuwait) and I have a question, 

Does trooping restore some of the lost sense of camaraderie that we all feel after getting out?  

• Like 1

It can.  New friends, the challenge of new venues and helping each other out, the joy of collecting high fives and fist bumps and hugs, the after troop chats and armour parties all help.

Not especially. I feel like a lot of my comradery with vets is based upon a shared experience of things that sucked, and the variations of it, as well as the positive experiences. Trooping and costuming is a fun hobby for me, so its a different set of associations.

Being ex Navy (many years hence) and being on a carrier I was never directly involved in conflicts, but I made friends that I keep in touch with to this day.  This also applies to the friends I've made through the FISD.  During Celebration in Orlando last year I finally got to meet in person fellow Troopers from literally all over the world I had met here.  

This tends to be a pretty tight knit (but very welcoming) community, where we help each other out when we can, learn about attention to detail, aim for higher levels, watch each other's backs on troops, etc.  Sound familiar?

By the way,  Thank you for your service!:salute:

• Like 1

I trooped a charity event earlier in Sept. and sweated in 100+ degree heat with several others - unusual Sept. weather for our area of Virginia.  We sweated profusely, bitched, and moaned the entire time.   I've never met half of them.  But now, if I come across them again, we have something uniquely in common - that sucky, extremely hot troop.

It can with the right people.  TBH it's just like the military, or other volunteer organizations.  There are some friends I've made for life via struggles in the trenches.  There are also other people I've trooped with that I prefer never to ever meet again.

No matter what just like any organization there are cliques and there can be drama.  You enjoyment and comradery will depend on how well you can insulate yourself from those areas and focus on having fun with people who are positive.