Failing miserably at making ABS paste

Sgtangel

First general nail polish remover wouldn't be my first choice.  It will have a dye in it which will tint the paste.  If you are having issues you've either bough acetone free or it's not ABS plastic.  What kit is it?

But to buy it you have a few options

Had similar issues here and only managed (after a lot of searching trial and error) to find one type/brand of acetone that will work to make abs paste, hang in there I'm sure you will find something that works at your end.

Is the plastic not dissolving?

I would start by going to Home Depot (or equivalent) and getting industrial strength acetone. If that still doesn't do it, you may not have ABS.

• Like 2

Is the plastic not dissolving?

I would start by going to Home Depot (or equivalent) and getting industrial strength acetone. If that still doesn't do it, you may not have ABS.
That was my thought when I first read this.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Sounds like you need the industrial strength 100% acetone, like others mentioned.  Available at pretty much all hardware stores.  

Use a non-plastic bowl, such as coated ceramic, because a plastic one will melt along with the ABS.  The smaller your ABS pieces, the easier it is.  Pour way more acetone than you think you need, let it sit for a minute or so and then stir.  Continually agitating will help the bigger chunks melt down.  Add more acetone as needed.  It will evaporate quickly, so if your paste is too runny, just let it sit and it will thicken up.  You may also have to add more acetone as you work, depending on how long you take.   I like using popsicle sticks because they're disposable and can spread paste well.  

• Like 1

I make mine in a small (glass!) jar. Take scraps and cut them into ~1/4 x 1/4" squares, fill the jar with them, pour in acetone, put the cap on. Come back an hour later and stir, and I am usually good to go.

Edited by Harbinger
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Harbinger said:

I make mine in a small (glass!) jar. Take scraps and cut them into ~1/4 x 1/4" squares, fill the jar with them, pour in acetone, put the cap on. Come back an hour later and stir, and I am usually good to go.

This is how I did mine as well Brien.

Edited by Rat

22 hours ago, Harbinger said:

A jar is a fantastic idea... why didn't I think of that before? Definitely will be doing that every time I need ABS paste from now on.  I do know if you use a jar with a metal lid, the acetone will eventually eat away at the metal and destroy it, but that's over time- so I wouldn't store it like that, but otherwise I doubt it would be an issue.  

Use liquid solvent cement or “Plastic Weld” get a small screw top bottle or pot and cut up small pieces of abs, fill the pot, then pour the solvent into the pot. Put the lid on and leave over night it a day or two. Done. I’ve been making it this way for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk