JamesW 1st ANH stunt build (AP)

TK-42775

So The break down on my Build, I will endeavor to post Pics along the way.

Helmet - AP with UKWratihs 

Armor - is Authinticprops (6 Weeks out, Got the trimmied package)

Boots - TKboots (Received and they are great) 

E-11 - 1st one will be modified sterling SMG Airsoft w/ doopydoo's and Kit

https://www.evike.com/products/61969/

And the burning question I have, Paint the armor gloss white or Polish ABS? 

Polish ABS (Winning answer)

So I may have gotten a little carried away tonight, after reading wook's dirty, and crickets builds and quite a few others, I decided to take my R1 Helm and modify it. here's a few pics. and the 1st injury LMAO.

Also early thanks to Sarge, and Cricket 

repository of all my pics 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Fq5G_WbYYEiMOyh1dNyZ1MP98CX3h61k

Front of R1 Bucket

lOYt3kK.jpg

Filling in the back side of the R1 helm

Z2QBzG0.jpg

You can see how the side vents are wrong and are countersunk

b9mp0VG.jpg

Filling in the vents to make them flush

3vqvAz6.jpg

initial work on the Hovi Mic's (Im really going for broke on the helm, its a lil bigger than actual but given my Nugget it barley comes on and off)

VE2yqbG.jpg

Now I know why band-aids are on the list.......

rZGZJcp.jpg

Edited by James Whitley
added pictures and context, 2nd edit Build plans,3rd Title and Links

It's best if you use a host site like imgur or Flickr to upload photos directly into your posts it makes it a bit easier.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

• TK-42775 changed the title to JamesW 1st ANH build w/ R1 Modded Bucket

Huh, I could have sworn that when they interviewed the director, he said that they actually built the R1 vents into the helmet like they are in the black series helmet, making them look more functional than just have decals. But I honestly haven't don't a lot or research on the R1 TK. they are built way different than the other TKs and are built more like the Shore and Tank Trooper. Good luck, God speed. Ill be watching this one 

Also, because your going to have to paint the helmet, might be worth it to just paint the armor to match. Last thing you want is crazy off helmet and Armor color.

As far as TK boots goes, you better contact them now. they have shut down and are only selling what they have in stock. So better jump on that right away to ensure they have your size. Email them first to be sure, then place the order

Edited by Commander Gree

15 minutes ago, Commander Gree said:

Huh, I could have sworn that when they interviewed the director, he said that they actually built the R1 vents into the helmet like they are in the black series helmet, making them look more functional than just have decals. But I honestly haven't don't a lot or research on the R1 TK. they are built way different than the other TKs and are built more like the Shore and Tank Trooper. Good luck, God speed. Ill be watching this one 

You're correct the Black Series buckets are modelled off of the R1 TK and there many differences tube stripes among them. Basically all the painted "vent" holes are actually vents on them. I'd say the modification of a BS is unnecessary if you already have a bucket but that's just me. Still interested in the progress as a whole.

• TK-42775 changed the title to JamesW 1st ANH stunt build w/ R1 Modded Bucket

Helm - Mod in progress

Armor - Ordered, Not shipped

Boots - Ordered, En-route, Due for Delivery Today!!!!!!!!

E-11 - Ordered, En-route (Hasbro, Going to order a hyperfirm, which I should have done in the 1st place.........)

So quick update, I managed to snag a pair of boots from TK's Boots, super excited about that. Did some more work on the bucket last night, Full disassembly and ran though a few Ideas in my head. It looks like I'm going to be able to pull off the removable face plate, by combining a few peoples idea's (Cricket if your reading this, I couldn't have come up with a design with out your posts) 

The reason for using the R1 Helm just comes down to size. I will probably build the AP helm after the fact just to have a second bucket 

Ready For paint Hovi Mic tips, Still need to build the insides and paint

YwH6pyU.jpg

gyXQvF5.jpg

Frown Screen in (Really liked how this came out

MHuH9Ii.jpg

SIzapkL.jpg

More sanding, Think I'm just gonna go get some bondo........

75ozMgc.jpg

Edited by James Whitley
Now with Pics!!!
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Commander Gree said:

Also, because your going to have to paint the helmet, might be worth it to just paint the armor to match. Last thing you want is crazy off helmet and Armor color.

As far as TK boots goes, you better contact them now. they have shut down and are only selling what they have in stock. So better jump on that right away to ensure they have your size. Email them first to be sure, then place the order

Boots get delivered TODAY!!!!!!!

Haven't really found too much on painting armor on the forums and one got a direction I can look?

Edited by James Whitley

23 hours ago, Rat said:

You're correct the Black Series buckets are modelled off of the R1 TK and there many differences tube stripes among them. Basically all the painted "vent" holes are actually vents on them. I'd say the modification of a BS is unnecessary if you already have a bucket but that's just me. Still interested in the progress as a whole.

Yeah this was my thought, Wait, @James Whitley, are you not doing a Rogue 1 TK? if not, I don't think the R1/BS helmet will work for ANH TK. It needs to have a asymmetrical style in the front, the "eyes" on the R1 helmet are symmetrical...Im kinda confused now, I didn't know anyone could use (even with Modifications) the BS helmet for the 501st. Ill for sure be following along for this. Also, if I may, you could get a AM armor helmet, they are pretty big and look way better than the BS helmet. AM is armor built for bigger guys. Had tons of room in my bucket and was able to put all kinds of things in there. If I were you James, I would definitely reach out to your Garrison GML and make sure what you are doing is proper. They are the ones that will give you to OK on what your armor looks like. The last thing you want to do is all that work and not get approved. Also, the pricing doesn't seem good. The BS helmet plus all the work needing done vrs. the AM helmet that comes with EVERYTHING needed for approval (even L3) and just put it together are too close. 

Please let us know exactly what your doing if you can. Trying to figure out where your going with the BS helmet 

This is from the CRL on basic level approval:

*Note: The Helmet is accurate in detail and proportion to official reference.

*Many Commercially available helmets or those considered Disproportionate in size or shape are ineligible

To me the "Shape" of the R1 helmet is what would keep you from being approved, even at the basic level for ANH TK or any OT TK. Again, and I cant stress this enough, before you get too deep, contact you GML and pick his brain.

as far as your question about paint I cant tell you. Fortunately for me I went with AM armor (Maker of TK boots) and their armor is absolutely amazing and doesn't need paint.

Well, On the R1 Helmet, it's kinda my test bed for a lot of things before I get in to the actual armor, Bondo, Paint, E6000 (@Cricket, OMG ITS EVERYWHERE!!!) Magnets. Dunno if I'll try it in My L1 submission, But I don't want any Hiccups on my armor so I want to get my build skills down before BBB.

More PICS!!!!!

Magnetic Faceplate work continues

xfIJfVh.jpg

F6Yr5Xq.jpg

Hard Drive magnets, Yeah I think its gonna hold.....

xPs5rjB.jpg

Face plate is coming along nicely

0rVc8Wf.jpg

Bondo, More is better

uSuA5pX.jpg

Sigh, Why does one side have to come out better than the other

lwDcEpo.jpg

Improvise Adapt and Over come

5BtY8CC.jpg

Man these look great

jBts60O.jpg

XhByLD2.jpg

ooooooohhhhhh LBB (Little Brown Box) WHATS IN IT!!!

HGVxAtR.jpg

BOOTS, And they fit great

fQPaDDO.jpg

29 minutes ago, Commander Gree said:

hmm. but the build process is nothing the same as what your doing. but hey, have fun...Good thing the boots got there safely. Keep us posted!

There's bit a pieces of the build that will come off of this. clamping, magnets, Having to resize everything to fit a smaller frame, E6000 (I already hate this stuff)  granted its all not the same, but it adds to my skill set as a whole. 

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:30 PM, James Whitley said:

Haven't really found too much on painting armor on the forums and one got a direction I can look?

That`s because you normally don`t and you getting AP means you don`t have to either:duim:

Faceplace at 75% Complete, Just need to repaint the front and it's complete (Yes It magnetically locks to the rest of the Bucket, Video to be posted) 

3KXOeGI.jpg

Sill trying to get the ear bumps right, (Note Bondo hardens really fast if you use to much red stuff..... But I found a use for it)

Edited by James Whitley

Nice progress, James. That’s an interesting project with the R1 lid.

As as been said above, you’ll be better to use your new AM lid when it arrives due to the many differences between R1 lids and ANH.

8eecfb57f611443666c9a82565c94cbc.jpg

Note specifically the eyes, frown, vocoder, brow, ears to name a few.

Chances are, the colour of both will vary, too.

You R1 lid is still an interesting project though. Look forward to seeing how it turns out. :-)

• Like 2

Update:

Major painting finished, Hoping to have the helm fully assembled and working on the Electronics this weekend. 

Has anyone had any success with spray foam or Building insulation foam (Dense pink foam) on their builds?

Stopping armor bite, Keeping armor positioned where you want it, 

I used to build miniatures, (Battletech) and would build terrain boards out of 1 in foam insulation, the stuff is very easy to work with and durable. And I have noticed sever people using packing foam in side their armor to do the same .

Sill waiting for BBB..........

Stopping armor bite, Keeping armor positioned where you want it, 

I used to build miniatures, (Battletech) and would build terrain boards out of 1 in foam insulation, the stuff is very easy to work with and durable. And I have noticed sever people using packing foam in side their armor to do the same .

Sill waiting for BBB..........

Ah right. Could be an option if you find those things an issue later in your build.
Personally, I don’t think you’ll need it for most of your build. Well fitted armour with a good strapping system will sit nicely on the wearer.
If you do find any areas that are an issue, a well positioned tactical pad or soft foam would be more controllable than expanding foam. :-)