TK-42775

Greeting from SLC UT

Greetings,

Retired Army Vet looking to get in to Trooping with the 501st, 

My Armor is currently on order =(. So getting everything ready to build it, The fun part is I stand 5'5", (Yes, I'm a little short to be a stormtrooper)  So going to have to get creative. Looking forward to my 1st Build

Edited by James Whitley
  • Like 1

So The break down on my Build, I will endeavor to post Pics along the way.

Helmet - Black Edition needs moded (Going to redo the electronics Kinda like Sarge did, Amazing job btw) or just use the helm from AP

Armor - is Authinticprops (6 Weeks out, Got the trimmied package)

Boots - TKboots (Everything I have read says these are the best)

E-11 - 1st one will be modifed Hasbro, next will be a resin cast maybe

Edited by James Whitley
  • Like 1

Hello and welcome aboard, research is the key to this hobby and by the looks you are well on your way, good luck with the build.

Hello James,

Welcome to FISD. 

Just out of curiosity, have you reach out to your local garrison and see if Hasbro Rogue One (R1) Black Series is approvalsble with a set of ANH armor? I heard stories that some GML only approves a modded BS R1 with R1 armor and will not accept a mix and match. Better check with them first.

I think it’s might be better if you stick with  the helmet with the set from AP. First it looks more neutral ANH (the helmet is asymmetric, just like in the movies). Second you don’t have to worry about color differences between the armor and the bucket (yes, there are different “shade” of white). Just my personal preference on armor but you might want to consider.

I won’t worry about the height, you will look good in it if you trimmed the pieces properly to fit. Just go ahead do some digging on the forum and you will find some building threads very informative. Good luck and have fun!

Edited by giskard8
Typo

Haven't reached out yet, But pretty sure my R1 Helm is going to be a no go (But it gives me a test bed to screw with. I used to teach basic electronics and im seriously going to have the inside of helmet wired and comfortable, Couldn't tell you the number of Months (Yes Months) That I wore a Kevlar Helmet in the Army so getting it fitting right should be fun as I still have extra parts and pieces =P. Also from what I have been reading there seems to be no Yes/No on the black helm as long as it has been properly modified. 

Currently reading through Bud Spaklur build. (Frack, I need to buy more tools lmao)

Edited by James Whitley
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, James Whitley said:

Currently reading through Bud Spaklur build. (Frack, I need to buy more tools lmao)

Indeed. Having the right tools for the job is an essential part for your build.

Yeah I'm seeing that. got me feeling like 

giphy.gif

Edited by James Whitley
  • Like 3

So looking though a lot of the different armors. I am not a big fan of any of the riveting being exposed. I understand this from a durability and stuff not falling off. However has anyone tried just gluing the straps in place, so that there are no exposed rivets?

By “straps”, are you referring to the shoulder straps?

If you are aiming for LV2 clearance or higher, the CRL stated that no visible riveting is allowed. They are usually glued to the chest plate (our favorite is a nasty stuff called E6000).

http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_anh_stunt

14 minutes ago, James Whitley said:

So looking though a lot of the different armors. I am not a big fan of any of the riveting being exposed. I understand this from a durability and stuff not falling off. However has anyone tried just gluing the straps in place, so that there are no exposed rivets?

Depends which rivets you are referring too, the side rivets and cod rivets are there for more accuracy and are required elements for the higher level approvals.

Higher level clearances, EIB and Centurion level info can be found in the Advanced Tactics section.

Always when building is refer to the CRL (costume reference library) as that is the basic requirements for 501st approval.

I'm tracking on the CRL, 

Though I just had an awesome Idea to do with the helmet. Its going to take a bit of work but I think it will work and the end product will be great.

So the faceplate of the helm. Have it lock in to the top and back by 4 Magnets. If I use strong enough magnets, its not going to shift or move while I am wearing it. But it will be easily removable, (Drinking water, etc)  and I should be able to do it in such a way that the seams are not visible.  I've pretty much decided that I am going to use something kind of like sarge's setup, but put the speaker in my upper torso, like bud did.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, James Whitley said:

I'm tracking on the CRL, 

Though I just had an awesome Idea to do with the helmet. Its going to take a bit of work but I think it will work and the end product will be great.

So the faceplate of the helm. Have it lock in to the top and back by 4 Magnets. If I use strong enough magnets, its not going to shift or move while I am wearing it. But it will be easily removable, (Drinking water, etc)  and I should be able to do it in such a way that the seams are not visible.  I've pretty much decided that I am going to use something kind of like sarge's setup, but put the speaker in my upper torso, like bud did.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

I think you may want to try assembling the helmet first or at least look at some of the build threads for helmet assembly, locking the front plate to the back plate is necessary to allow the ears to be trimmed, aligned and fitted snugly. Also the neck S trim fits to both the front and back plates so you may not be able to achieve this ;) .

Most fit their amps and Icomm units in the chest area, lots of room behind the plate.

• Like 1

Hi James and welcome to the FISD!  You will be very happy with your AP purchase. It is a very nice set of armor. If you are looking to join the 501st, please review the CRLs at length before you make any alterations to your armor. The CRLs tend to be pretty specific in some areas. If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask. 

Hello and welcome to the FISD! Echoing fellow troopers' thoughts here. R1 BS would take a lot of modding and it would probably be easier to get the AP helmet. I would recommend going the traditional construction route for bucket construction too.

Welcome aboard

Your following some good threads there your doing the research. Tools are the necessary evil if you don’t have the right ones your build will be harder. As everyone else said about the rivets some are needed to pass even basic approval which is what you’ll need to get into the 501st. As for the helmet with magnets idea, it sounds like a nice plan if it can be done and still pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my bias opinion the AP helmet over Black series.  The AP has more authenticity with the geometry and asymmetry.   And like many here said, it may also be a better color match. 

(Still waiting on my BBB from mark)

Yeah, im waiting for BBB and then gonna sit down and do a write up on the to buckets, Talking with a few people that modded the R1 BS helmet (Im kinda partial to it as I have a rather large nugget) gonna have to see how the other one fits on my head

So I may have gotten a little carried away tonight, after reading wook's dirty, and crickets builds and quite a few others, I decided to take my R1 Helm and modify it. here's a few pics. and the 1st injury LMAO.

Also early thanks to Sarge, and Cricket 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Fq5G_WbYYEiMOyh1dNyZ1MP98CX3h61k

Edited by James Whitley

Welcome to the Detachment lines of the FISD!

Have a awesome journey!