Digz Graavz

Digz Graavz First Build - ANH Stunt from AP

Looking forward to those photos ;) 

Looking smart, feedback posted on pre-approval thread, good luck and hope to see you approved very soon (be aware the membership database is in lockdown until after Feb 19th and membership submissions can not be approved until after that date)

Good luck

• Like 1

Thanks again everyone.  Yeah, the Feb 19th timing sucks right now, but I'm pushing hard for approval before March 15th Comicon in Toronto.

• Like 1

OK - touch up time.  As per comments in my pre-approval, I will be touching up the vocoder paint (well, actually removing some) and making a good thigh support system. I've found my belt and 2" black elastic so I'll get that glued up today (SNOW DAY!!!),

• Like 2

So today I repainted the vocoder, fixed the chest strapping (one of the brackets was off by over 1cm Rob- I think that's why the right side kept riding up), glued in new thigh support straps and trimmed the large section from the backs of the shoulder straps.   

I finally found the Sugru that I KNEW I had ordered so I am going to mount the mouth grill thingamabob properly.

Mic tips question:  It looks like I need to paint the inside of the tube white, correct?

Thanks again. 

3 minutes ago, Digz Graavz said:

Mic tips question:  It looks like I need to paint the inside of the tube white, correct?

You shouldn't have to.  Some add a little paint to the outer edges to simulate weathering of the part. 

gallery_12157_85_251610.jpg

34 minutes ago, wook1138 said:

You shouldn't have to.  Some add a little paint to the outer edges to simulate weathering of the part. 

gallery_12157_85_251610.jpg

Actually they are white inside on the Stunt version, if you look closely inside you can make out the white. After recent conisations with ANH CRL it's been discussed in length and may become part of the CRL's at a later stage.

But for basic you can just paint the rim white ;) 

original-stunt-stormtrooper-helmet.jpg

DaveMANH02.jpg

DaveMANH01.jpg 

and before painting they are white

streethelmets1.jpg

Mic tips as they came straight from AP:

NEJ7Vko.jpg

Also, if I want to fix my ear screws, here's where they will line up.  Also, not that on the right side it looks like I will need to trim a bit of the back helmet section (as marked).  Make sense?

oxJ2zY5.jpg  Jq88Jvw.jpg

White inside CORRECT, just give the rim a paint white and you are done.

With the ears the angle mentioned is the "ideal look" but at this stage not an actual requirement, make sure you check how the ears will sit against the helmet if you where to move them, in some instances you can end up with a bigger gap, or may need some more trimming. Also check they still cover the base of the helmet so there doesn't end up being a gap where the S trim sits on.

Here's one that isn't quite the at the "ideal look" ;) 

YgbsZ7v.jpg

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

With the ears the angle mentioned is the "ideal look" but at this stage not an actual requirement, make sure you check how the ears will sit against the helmet if you where to move them, in some instances you can end up with a bigger gap, or may need some more trimming. Also check they still cover the base of the helmet so there doesn't end up being a gap where the S trim sits on.

OK thanks.  Not going to bother then.  I checked the fit and the gap at the bottom would have been horrible.  Too bad...  At some point maybe I'll order new ear covers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Actually they are white inside on the Stunt version, if you look closely inside you can make out the white. After recent conisations with ANH CRL it's been discussed in length and may become part of the CRL's at a later stage. 

yeah, I meant that AP comes with white on the inside already - no need to paint.

• Like 2

Progress update:

I've made a proper thigh support system (traditional belt and elastic setup).  I also put some small foam strips on the sides of the thighs to help keep them in place.

I have glued the straps for the drop-boxes into proper position.

I have marked the belt for shortening.  A friend is re-sewing the end for me on Friday.

I have properly secured the mouth grate with Sugru (was just taped in).

I have mounted my ICOMM and Voicebooseter in the chest plate.

I've figured out the wire-routing for my helmet fan and made a mounting bracket for it.

I also ordered a new set of gloves and flexi handguards.  The first set the glue didn't take well on one hand and the other it took TOO well.  I've done some trimming on them and they're Okayish but I am not thrilled.

NCRHBzT.jpg

• Like 3

Nice updates, with the gloves and handguards I've found that different makers need different glue to adhere to them, some I've used E6000, some superglue and others silicon/silastic, so you may need to do a test area and see how you go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Digz Graavz said:

I used the 2 part superglue with the activator.  I think I'll play more before making the new pair and see what works best.

To attach the guards to the gloves?  I used super glue to attach both my first set of handguards, one set to rubber, the other to Nomex.  After time, (5-6 months) the glue became very brittle on both sets and started peeling away on the edges to the point where I had to remove them.  Was the set you had a problem with one of mine?  I haven't heard of this happening with the them before, but if they were just PM me and I will get you sorted out.

8 hours ago, A.J. Hamler said:

If I recall, Joseph, you recommend E6000 for yours. right?  I only ask because I'm about to do mine now.

Absolutely.  Be SURE to add a substantial amount of weight on top while they dry (at least 12 hours), similar to using clamps/magnets when attaching armor pieces together.

Here's what I used for the AP rubber gloves and flexible handguards that Mark sent:

https://www.amazon.ca/Loctite-Plastics-Bonding-Activator-681925/dp/B000Y3LHXW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1550245899&sr=8-1&keywords=loctite+plastics+bonding+system

Amazon was the only place I could find it in Canada. It was recommended by many and seems to be doing its job well. :-D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MakeNoiseMan said:

Here's what I used for the AP rubber gloves and flexible handguards that Mark sent:

https://www.amazon.ca/Loctite-Plastics-Bonding-Activator-681925/dp/B000Y3LHXW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1550245899&sr=8-1&keywords=loctite+plastics+bonding+system

Amazon was the only place I could find it in Canada. It was recommended by many and seems to be doing its job well. :-D 

LePage has a similar product which can be found at most hardware stores. CrappyTire has it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wook1138 said:

CrappyTire has it.

I bought my Lepage version at Canadian Tire; they also have the pan-head screws and E6000 (made in USA).

• Like 1