Digz Graavz First Build - ANH Stunt from AP

Digz Graavz

Progress update:

I've made a proper thigh support system (traditional belt and elastic setup).  I also put some small foam strips on the sides of the thighs to help keep them in place.

I have glued the straps for the drop-boxes into proper position.

I have marked the belt for shortening.  A friend is re-sewing the end for me on Friday.

I have properly secured the mouth grate with Sugru (was just taped in).

I have mounted my ICOMM and Voicebooseter in the chest plate.

I've figured out the wire-routing for my helmet fan and made a mounting bracket for it.

I also ordered a new set of gloves and flexi handguards.  The first set the glue didn't take well on one hand and the other it took TOO well.  I've done some trimming on them and they're Okayish but I am not thrilled.

NCRHBzT.jpg

• Like 2

Nice updates, with the gloves and handguards I've found that different makers need different glue to adhere to them, some I've used E6000, some superglue and others silicon/silastic, so you may need to do a test area and see how you go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Digz Graavz said:

I used the 2 part superglue with the activator.  I think I'll play more before making the new pair and see what works best.

To attach the guards to the gloves?  I used super glue to attach both my first set of handguards, one set to rubber, the other to Nomex.  After time, (5-6 months) the glue became very brittle on both sets and started peeling away on the edges to the point where I had to remove them.  Was the set you had a problem with one of mine?  I haven't heard of this happening with the them before, but if they were just PM me and I will get you sorted out.

8 hours ago, A.J. Hamler said:

If I recall, Joseph, you recommend E6000 for yours. right?  I only ask because I'm about to do mine now.

Absolutely.  Be SURE to add a substantial amount of weight on top while they dry (at least 12 hours), similar to using clamps/magnets when attaching armor pieces together.

Here's what I used for the AP rubber gloves and flexible handguards that Mark sent:

https://www.amazon.ca/Loctite-Plastics-Bonding-Activator-681925/dp/B000Y3LHXW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1550245899&sr=8-1&keywords=loctite+plastics+bonding+system

Amazon was the only place I could find it in Canada. It was recommended by many and seems to be doing its job well. :-D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MakeNoiseMan said:

Here's what I used for the AP rubber gloves and flexible handguards that Mark sent:

https://www.amazon.ca/Loctite-Plastics-Bonding-Activator-681925/dp/B000Y3LHXW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1550245899&sr=8-1&keywords=loctite+plastics+bonding+system

Amazon was the only place I could find it in Canada. It was recommended by many and seems to be doing its job well. :-D 

LePage has a similar product which can be found at most hardware stores. CrappyTire has it. 

• Like 1

Yeah I used the Lepage 2 part (boughtat RONA as I work there.  Rob's a CT guy)   Gloves were from Mark at AP.  It's totally my fault the mess up on them.  They're passable for now but I want perfection :)

I will play with scraps and see what I can get to work.  If E6000 will then I want to go that route.

As per advice, I trimmed the back cover strips on my shins so that they end before the mouldings:

3qlDvRI.jpg

I've also ordered a couple of Rubies blasters that I will mod and paint up to have as kid-resistant props.  My good blaster is too nice to hand out.

• Like 2

Looks much better.

Having some "youngling friendly" blasters on hand is a good idea, I remember handing mine over to a youngling early on in my trooping days to find it was returned with the front sight missing, luckily a wrangler had noticed the piece hit the floor and save it :duim:

• Like 1

I just posted a ton of pics in my pre-approval request.  I was emailed by my GML who said it should all be a go but he wants some clearer pictures.  I'll have to take the actual shots of me wearing it tonight,

In the meantime, I whipped up a mannequin out of ABS pipe in about 30 mins:

076k6q6.jpg

(the left hand slipped...need to make it better next time I put the armor on him!)

lNAwSCp.jpg

Material List:

3" ABS pipe - 12'

2"'ABS pipe - 6'

3" ABS "short" elbow - 2

3" ABS T - 3

3"-2" Reducing Flange - 2

2" 45 degree elbow - 2

Zip Ties to connect torso to shoulders

Cut List:

3" Pipe:

4" x 2 (shoulders)

5" x 1 (waist)

17" x 2 (torso)

33" x 2 (legs)

10" x 1 (neck)

2" pipe:

8" x 2

14" x2

Edited by Digz Graavz
  • Like 3

Normally it's just so the GML can check some details, a lot of people take images on phones and they can auto save for a lower resolution, it's very hard to enlarge those to see fine detail

Nice work on the mannequin, I also made a pipe build frame, managed to find some of these adjusters which work great when putting the armor on and off.

Image result for pvc adjustable joint fitting

• Like 1