Digz Graavz First Build - ANH Stunt from AP

Digz Graavz

Thanks everyone!  I think the combination of Brad's guidance and experience along with the cuts I put in the corners may be a not-so-secret-any-more recipe.

The shoulder straps are overcurved from the boiling process and that's why they look so close together in the photo.  We aligned the heck out of everything and they're glued dead on the lines we used.  I'll post more pics later with this morning's progress.  Time to go unclamp and move on to more stuff.

Ammo boxes, TD and the last of the strapping.  Brad had me trim my forearms a bit so I need to redo those cover strips.  If all goes well I might be doing basic submission in a day or two.

• Like 2

So... All strapping is done, other than the thigh garters and attaching the drop boxes to the belt (they're drying and the straps are on the belt).  I want to complete the TD tonight, maybe get the thighs done.  That will just leave replacing the cover  strips on the forearms, which are not bad but can be better.  Submission pics tomorrow unless the Universe throws me a curve ball :)

Right now it's mostly Velcro unless snaps are required for Centurion.  I figure the best thing to do is get it fitted 100% with the Velcro, then mark the positioning and add snaps.

0KEDaO0.jpg

• Like 4

You can use anything for inside strapping for IE and Centurion, snaps are only needed for external decoration on side of ab and butt plate ;) 

Hope you throw those approval images on the pre approval forum, looking forward to seeing them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Digz Graavz said:

Right now it's mostly Velcro unless snaps are required for Centurion.  I figure the best thing to do is get it fitted 100% with the Velcro, then mark the positioning and add snaps.

As Glen mentioned, internal strapping techniques are up to you.  Smart idea about changing over to snaps, though.  Velcro holds up well at first, but will begin to get weaker over time from repeated opening/closing.

Thanks again everyone.  Rob (twosolitudes) will be here in about 90 mins to take my submission pictures!

Check out these sexy TD screws!  (They've since been painted black).

vsqEzAQ.jpg

• Like 2

Looking smart, feedback posted on pre-approval thread, good luck and hope to see you approved very soon (be aware the membership database is in lockdown until after Feb 19th and membership submissions can not be approved until after that date)

Good luck

• Like 1

OK - touch up time.  As per comments in my pre-approval, I will be touching up the vocoder paint (well, actually removing some) and making a good thigh support system. I've found my belt and 2" black elastic so I'll get that glued up today (SNOW DAY!!!),

• Like 2

So today I repainted the vocoder, fixed the chest strapping (one of the brackets was off by over 1cm Rob- I think that's why the right side kept riding up), glued in new thigh support straps and trimmed the large section from the backs of the shoulder straps.   

I finally found the Sugru that I KNEW I had ordered so I am going to mount the mouth grill thingamabob properly.

Mic tips question:  It looks like I need to paint the inside of the tube white, correct?

Thanks again. 

3 minutes ago, Digz Graavz said:

Mic tips question:  It looks like I need to paint the inside of the tube white, correct?

You shouldn't have to.  Some add a little paint to the outer edges to simulate weathering of the part. 

gallery_12157_85_251610.jpg

34 minutes ago, wook1138 said:

You shouldn't have to.  Some add a little paint to the outer edges to simulate weathering of the part. 

gallery_12157_85_251610.jpg

Actually they are white inside on the Stunt version, if you look closely inside you can make out the white. After recent conisations with ANH CRL it's been discussed in length and may become part of the CRL's at a later stage.

But for basic you can just paint the rim white ;) 

original-stunt-stormtrooper-helmet.jpg

DaveMANH02.jpg

DaveMANH01.jpg 

and before painting they are white

streethelmets1.jpg

Mic tips as they came straight from AP:

NEJ7Vko.jpg

Also, if I want to fix my ear screws, here's where they will line up.  Also, not that on the right side it looks like I will need to trim a bit of the back helmet section (as marked).  Make sense?

oxJ2zY5.jpg  Jq88Jvw.jpg

White inside CORRECT, just give the rim a paint white and you are done.

With the ears the angle mentioned is the "ideal look" but at this stage not an actual requirement, make sure you check how the ears will sit against the helmet if you where to move them, in some instances you can end up with a bigger gap, or may need some more trimming. Also check they still cover the base of the helmet so there doesn't end up being a gap where the S trim sits on.

Here's one that isn't quite the at the "ideal look" ;) 

YgbsZ7v.jpg

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

With the ears the angle mentioned is the "ideal look" but at this stage not an actual requirement, make sure you check how the ears will sit against the helmet if you where to move them, in some instances you can end up with a bigger gap, or may need some more trimming. Also check they still cover the base of the helmet so there doesn't end up being a gap where the S trim sits on.

OK thanks.  Not going to bother then.  I checked the fit and the gap at the bottom would have been horrible.  Too bad...  At some point maybe I'll order new ear covers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Actually they are white inside on the Stunt version, if you look closely inside you can make out the white. After recent conisations with ANH CRL it's been discussed in length and may become part of the CRL's at a later stage. 

yeah, I meant that AP comes with white on the inside already - no need to paint.

• Like 2