Digz Graavz First Build - ANH Stunt from AP

Digz Graavz

Before you glue the knee on you'll want to round those inner corners to prevent them from cracking/splitting while putting the shins on or taking them off, that area flexes quite a bit.

47273728_SniperKneeSuggestion.jpg.7082a8f2537ab738b38f95767ec69f0a.jpg

• Like 2

If you look at the center bottom you can just notice it's not quite aligned, if you look at he two bump risers compared to the cover strip, you could go as is but if you glued the sides, fully then them dry, then you could still be able to twist the front to straighten, apply glue behind and clamp tight, tape can help keep too.

• Like 1

Before you glue that Chris, I would suggest trimming down the bottom a bit more as shown below.  The reason being is that it will give it a bit more flexibility, allowing it to sit a lot closer to the top of the calf.  It will also reduce the gap that is there.

Also, when trimming always try not to put sharp angles (as shown by the arrows) on anything, as these become areas where splitting can/will occur. The bottom of the posterior (butt) plate is a common area where this happens.  Note below how they are slightly rounded in this trooper's example.

eZkc4Wh.jpg     qcWjYL6.jpg?1

• Like 2

As mentioned above, trim down and curve that return edge at the bottom - that will help a lot when trying to reshape and fit.  I don't want to discourage absolute TK perfection - but... the AP knee plate is very difficult (nearly impossible?) to get perfectly centered and nicely lined up on the sides - so don't get discouraged.  I found fitting it and hot bathing it a number of times helps.  I even glued it on the best I could and then took it off and tried again.  Try to glue the front and one side on - let the glue set up for a couple of days, then glue the other side - using many clamps to keep everything where you want it.  Let it sit for a few days.  I also used little tabs of plastic on the back of the sniper knee to get it to sit at a better angle.  Good luck!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wook1138 said:

I also used little tabs of plastic on the back of the sniper knee to get it to sit at a better angle.  Good luck!

Wasn't sure if that was acceptable or not.  I unfortunately got called into work today so I haven't had a chance to work on anything this morning. Guess I'll have to hammer it hard when I get home.  Goal is completion by Sunday.

Cool.  I have some ABS paste that I want to use to fill in the seams/gaps at the bottom (left over from my repair when I trimmed the wrong thigh piece).  I have glued small support strips in.  Don't worry, I am a much better modeller than whoever filled in the ones in the examples above LOL.

Managed to close up 2 of the gaps.  The other 2 have ABS paste in them now.  Thursday is jiujitsu night and I work at 530 tomorrow morning so we'll see how much I get done tonight.  Sniper knee held well so far.  I have rounded out the corners on the return edge as suggested.  I will most likely see where I can brace it and glue down one edge to finish it off.  Hopefully by tomorrow night I am strapping.

• Like 2

Thigh cover strips are trimmed.  This is my latest attempt at the sniper knee.  I am not thrilled with the inside edge, but short of cutting out a section, splitting and filling, I don't see a lot of alternative...  I would not look forward to that patch job either.

igsotYK.jpg

4oMNRXc.jpg

UrtjaNk.jpg

2OzGrIi.png

• Like 1

You can see now why a lot of people use the “offset method” for making their sniper knee line up on both sides (one of the few things I documented reasonably well in my build thread, I might add ಠ_ಠ )

• Like 1

Yeah Rob - Let's look at it tomorrow, thanks.  I don't know how I didn't do that because I remember you telling me, and seeing it in your thread.  SIGH....  Too much info sometimes!  Can you please bring yours over so we can measure off of it?

Strapping system for the torso is almost done!  Just need to connect the chest to the cod.

• Like 1

Strapping question!  The only one I am having issue with is the centre of the chest.  The return edge is pretty skinny and I am pretty sure that I can't safely drill into it.  Looking at some reference images they drilled in the front, but I don't like that look.   UKs build doesn't show that bracket clearly so I can't go off of that.  

Thoughts or suggestions?  

Thanks!

11 minutes ago, Digz Graavz said:

Strapping question!  The only one I am having issue with is the centre of the chest.  The return edge is pretty skinny and I am pretty sure that I can't safely drill into it.  Looking at some reference images they drilled in the front, but I don't like that look.   UKs build doesn't show that bracket clearly so I can't go off of that.  

Thoughts or suggestions?  

Thanks!

When you say skinny - do you mean you didn't leave enough return edge?  The reference pics show the suit after a lot of use and the screws are moved forward out of necessity due to wear and tear.  Ideally, you don't want the screws on the front of the chest piece (but I really don't know how this would affect approval at any level).  Can you glue in a piece of ABS on the back side to build up the return edge just enough to get the screws in?

1 hour ago, wook1138 said:

Can you glue in a piece of ABS on the back side to build up the return edge just enough to get the screws in?

That's the thought process I was working with.  I was considering screwing the bracket to its own piece of ABS then gluing that in to support the bracket.

I'll sleep on it and see what it's like in the morning light.

• Like 2

So today's armour party at my place was amazing.  I owe Robert (twosolitudes) and Brad (68Brick) a huge debt of thanks.  I should be able to wrap it all up tomorrow if I grind hard.  Brad got me through heating and reshaping the sniper knee (pics to follow).  I got to put on most of my suit for the first time, and they helped me with all the spacing.  I could NOT have gotten my suit to the level it will be without their selflessness and expertise.

We also welcomed Mark (Markweller) and helped him finally get started on his Anovos build that had been collecting dust for over 2 years.  All of us live within 20 minutes of each other.

5syBYd7.jpg

4lNogtp.jpg

• Like 3

It can amaze people how much can be achieved at armor parties, many have built their own costumes and what seems hard for a newbie is just common practice for an experienced builder.

Looking good, won't be long now :D 

• Like 1

With 68Brick's guidance and a pot of hot water, we got the sniper knee looking pretty good this afternoon.

Tonight's work:  Shoulder straps are repositioned.   Bells have their elastic gluing.  You can see the strapping system in the one photo.

qMliKTO.jpg

FhC10P9.jpg

eb8eNzL.jpg

Uk9Oyop.jpg

mlKNrBv.jpg

RBLdMwM.jpg

• Like 1

Chris I just want to say, what a great job you have done on the sniper plate.

I have built 3 AP kits now and can tell you the plate just never aligns quite straight. The small gap underneath the centre should be irrelevant as it is not part of the CRL and not a photo that is asked for in the application process.

To get it as close as you have and to have the sides aligned with the top ridge is a masterful effort, well done.

Centurion is well and truly within your grasp.

• Like 1

Looking awesome, sir!   It may just be me, but I gotta' admit this photo gives me a little concern:

T9nmSBa.jpg

They seem awfully close together...  do they line up in the center of the tabs on top of the back plate ok??

AlClEad.jpg?1

• Like 1