Digz Graavz First Build - ANH Stunt from AP

Digz Graavz

5 hours ago, Digz Graavz said:

Not sure why but once again it's telling me I can't paste pictures into a thread.  Says I am down to 10kb allowed.

Try using tapatalk or imgur - or whatever online image hosting site you want.  I use tapatalk because I can upload directly from my phone - and its free.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone...   Time to get back to work.  Holidays are over, was gone to the Dominican for a week too.  The bucket is GTG and I have done the repairs to my blaster (Functional selector switch is in, real steel Sterling SMG trigger is in, "green stuff" filling is in and ready to be sanded and painted. After that I just need to do the counter (I made a lens and have printed #'s for the counter as well).

I started some very basic examination of the rest of the armor and I have mocked up the forearms.  

Question:  The inner forearm pieces are significantly shorter than the outer, and I was advised to trim the wrist end.  I've lined them up and taped the line to cut.  Am I on the right track?

lsyBDSU.jpg

3PfUQft.jpg

1 minute ago, Digz Graavz said:

An excellent example to follow. :duim:

Either way, there’s some trimming to line up both ends.

I think I like the elbow end better.  Looking at the builds there are 11 indentations on the outer forearms.  If I trim the way I have mine taped, it will take one of them out..

LOL  Bud - I meant as opposed to cutting the entire circumference.

OK... Forearms and biceps are trimmed.  I was nervous as a new slave Leia on the first cut.

Can someone confirm cover strip sizes?

Front of shins/thighs- 20mm

Back of calves/thighs - 25mm

Arms - 15mm

Once I get those confirmed I can open a tube of E6000!

Thanks

And you can always go larger if needed, ideally you add to the rear as that's not seen very often ;) 

ROFL to whoever changed my post to read "slave Leia". Nicely done!

FYI original was a stolen quote from Patrick Rothfuss "The Name of the Wind" when Kvothe enters the archives for the first time after having his ban lifted.

Edited by Digz Graavz
  • Like 1

So, I did my first cover strip for the right forearm, at 15mm as per directions/consensus.  Here's what it looks like.  Is there too much showing?  Should I go to 20mm?

I'm after Centurion so I want to get it all right.

cyTHcPu.jpg

Thanks!

Edited by Digz Graavz

It looks like the strip is not quite central, but it's not leaving too much or a ridge on the sides showing. Here's some screen images, when in doubt check the gallery section. You'll also notice that even though a lot of people round off the corners of the coverstrips they where actually just cut off.

DSC02593.jpg

DSC02597.jpg

DSC02549.jpg

DSC02643

• Like 1

Thanks.  Yeah, there are SO many images.  I've seen others who went 20mm on the arms and got Centurion as well, so...

I'll work on centering it better.  It's not really a build until you've ripped off some E6000, right?

Also - Is it common to trim a larger opening in the bucket?  Mine's SUPER tight going on since the S Trim went on.   Hopefully I have enough S trim if I do enlarge it.

• Like 1

Well I've cleaned off some E6000 but never had to remover a strip ;)

Yes standard cover strip sizing is ideal but you can go bigger if needed.

Are you putting on your helmet sideways then turn straight, just making sure as a lot of people try to put the on straight and they just don't go that way. I know some guys trim a little more as they find them tight even going on sideways, Hopefully your S trim will still be long enough, normally we cut it longer and it's the pressure of the longer material which helps it to stay in place.

Yeah.  I'm fortunate enough to have made friends with Twosolitudes (Rob) who only lives about 10 minutes from me.  He showed me his kit, let me try on the helmet, all before I had even gotten my stuff.  He showed me that you had to put it on sideways.

I don't think I'll be able to get it on with my headset, so looks like I will take the plunge and shave some off.

Roger that, just trim a little off at a time, some times you can find it's just one corner or side, good luck.