Digz Graavz First Build - ANH Stunt from AP

Digz Graavz

Hi everyone.  I am finally taking the plunge after dreaming of this for years.

I've ordered a fully trimmed kit from AP with hopes of getting it up to Centurion at some point.

I was going to order boots from TK boots, but they email I got back from them said " I'm sorry, Chris, but we're sold out of 10's and also 11's and tentatively, we're closing TK Boots. ", so it looks like I will need to source these somewhere else.  I'll be sourcing a neck seal and the body suit as well.

3 minutes ago, Digz Graavz said:

Hi everyone.  I am finally taking the plunge after dreaming of this for years.

I've ordered a fully trimmed kit from AP with hopes of getting it up to Centurion at some point.

I was going to order boots from TK boots, but they email I got back from them said " I'm sorry, Chris, but we're sold out of 10's and also 11's and tentatively, we're closing TK Boots. ", so it looks like I will need to source these somewhere else.  I'll be sourcing a neck seal and the body suit as well.

I think imperial boots are taking orders right now. 

• Like 1

Thanks!  Are their neck seals acceptable for centurion?  501 says " Black with horizontal ribs, fitted to the wearer, and extending from the base of the neck to conceal the entire neck. ", but I have read somewhere that an "S" style is preferential to the "U" style.  Also, how fitted does it need to be?  My neck is about 16 1/2 but the one from Imperial Boots is about 17 3/4.

https://www.imperialboots.com/product/neckseal/

Thanks again everyone.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Digz Graavz said:

Thanks!  Are their neck seals acceptable for centurion?  501 says " Black with horizontal ribs, fitted to the wearer, and extending from the base of the neck to conceal the entire neck. ", but I have read somewhere that an "S" style is preferential to the "U" style.  Also, how fitted does it need to be?  My neck is about 16 1/2 but the one from Imperial Boots is about 17 3/4.

Thanks again everyone.

I think the “S” and “U” are referring to the helmet opening seal, which is different from the neck seal. You’ll want the “S” for L3/Centurion.

Imperial Boots stuff should be good for L3. My neck seal was from Darman Props, and my helmet “S” seal was from Trooper Bay.

Edited by Twosolitudes
Clarity

3 hours ago, Digz Graavz said:

Also, how fitted does it need to be?  My neck is about 16 1/2 but the one from Imperial Boots is about 17 3/4.

As to how fitted, I’m not sure how IB does theirs; Darman’s Props tell the buyers that they want the exact measurement of the neck, and not to add anything, and they will ensure the fitting has a little extra.

Teresa (Geeky Pinks) is in Alberta and she is great to work with! She can make neck seal to your size!

Also, S-shape vs. U-shape is indeed referring to the rubber trim that lines the edge of the opening of the helmet.

• Like 1

I have used a couple of neck seals and I can definitely recommend Geeky Pink's seal by quite a bit. Teresa is a pleasure to work with and her craftsmanship is amazing. Definitely a high quality product and a fair price to boot.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again everyone.  Looks like I will get the neck seal and black suit from Trooperbay and boots from Imperialboots, who also offer a strapping kit:

https://www.imperialboots.com/product/strapkit/

Is the kit a good plan?

Also - I am now researching voice changers...

• 3 weeks later...

Boots are ordered.  Other soft goods have all arrived.  Still waiting for my armour.

My blaster is 90% - It's all painted and weathered.  I just need to make and install the clear glass for the counter, and I have to install a new selector switch (actual Sterling one arrives Monday), as my father in law snapped mine off, forcing the issue on installing a functional one LOL.

I'll post pics soon.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A few setbacks and delays....

My father in law snapped the selector switch on my blaster, so I've upgraded to a functioning one:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/E11-BLASTER-STERLING-SAFETY-LEVER-AND-3-POSITION-SWITCH/123295999786?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

And while machining out the blaster  the Dremel slipped and I took a chunk out of my trigger, so I've ordered an actual Sterling one.

Authenticprops is about 3-4 weeks behind schedule on their last batch, so no armour yet...

My voice changer is on the way too - Voicebooster with iComm and a wireless mic.

I've gotten everything else - Boots, black suit, dark lens, helmet foam, neck seal, fans....  Just can't wait to get it all together.

Time to gather up some E6000 adhesive and decide how you would like to assemble your kit (authentic strapping per the TKBoots kit, or Velcro, or snaps, or a combination). Review some other builds for ideas. Good Start with the E11 Chris.

Thanks.  I found a local trooper who's 10 minutes away (TK69103) and we met up.  He showed me his build and is going to work with me on mine to help avoid any mistakes he made.  He even gave me a new tube of E6000 and a bunch of his leftovers (strapping, snaps, etc),  I'm just waiting for the package to arrive....

A postal strike delayed my trigger by a couple of days, so my day off today sadly will not involve any work on the blaster.  Sigh.

I bought some black and white packs of Sugru as well, as somewhere on here it was mentioned that it's good for installing the lenses.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just got an email from AP... they are delayed an additional 2 weeks :( Apparently their vac-forming facility has large contract obligations so a small fish like him gets pushed aside.  I'm at 21/2 months and counting.  I have next week off work and I was hoping to get my armour by then (and it's my birthday).  At this point I'm hoping to have it done by Christmas instead of the Hallowe'en I was hoping for.

My voice changer arrived yesterday (finally, thanks Canada Post Strike).  I went with Voicebooster and the wireless mic.  I'm going to start looking into sound-boosting apps and wiring in a remote mic+earpiece to help with hearing my surroundings.  An old smartphone or iPod should handle it.  I'll post updates if I find anything and rig it up.

I'm thinking of something like this:  https://www.amazon.ca/Mics-MAONO-Omnidirectional-Microphones-Smartphone-Transmitter/dp/B071X6H6ZS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1542806626&sr=8-7&keywords=MAONO 

Plug those into the phone and use a bluetooth earbud... 

Edited by Digz Graavz
add link to mics

5 hours ago, Digz Graavz said:

Just got an email from AP... they are delayed an additional 2 weeks :( Apparently their vac-forming facility has large contract obligations so a small fish like him gets pushed aside.  I'm at 21/2 months and counting.  I have next week off work and I was hoping to get my armour by then (and it's my birthday).  At this point I'm hoping to have it done by Christmas instead of the Hallowe'en I was hoping for.

My voice changer arrived yesterday (finally, thanks Canada Post Strike).  I went with Voicebooster and the wireless mic.  I'm going to start looking into sound-boosting apps and wiring in a remote mic+earpiece to help with hearing my surroundings.  An old smartphone or iPod should handle it.  I'll post updates if I find anything and rig it up.

I'm thinking of something like this:  https://www.amazon.ca/Mics-MAONO-Omnidirectional-Microphones-Smartphone-Transmitter/dp/B071X6H6ZS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1542806626&sr=8-7&keywords=MAONO 

Plug those into the phone and use a bluetooth earbud... 

That's crappy news about the armor delay.  Hang in there, it is worth the wait.

As for the microphone, if you don't have a wired, unidirectional back-up then I would recommend getting one.  I have intermittent issues with my wireless mics (I use both icomm and troopertalk - but tend to prefer the icomm just because it is so easy to use).  To be honest, I've entirely given up on the wireless mics. 

Here's hoping for an end to the postal strike and the start of vacuum forming. 

The wireless setup from Voicebooster is a basic FM setup, which ironically enough came defective...  I've emailed them on that one to see what the plan is.  I wish I had my bucket to play with spacing so I know what I'm up against with all of the gear I have. 

• 4 weeks later...

Really starting to get pissed off with Mark from AP.  I ordered the armour on Sept 12th and he's had several delays. The only time he sends an update is after I ask him what's going on. 

Sept 20th:

Dear valued customers

Just letting you we just started a new batch of kits, plastic arrived later then expected since company we deal with was relocated so this set up back a couple weeks but rest assured we will keep you updated on the progress on your order, for those who ordered untrimmed or fully trimmed kits these will ship fairly fast once production is complete, for ready to wear orders a few extra weeks is required.

Mark (AP)

Oct 2nd:

Hi Chris

We will start new batch any day now will keep you posted, you are #15 on our current list

Mark (AP)

Oct 24th:

Hi Chris

We are in full production process, as soon as completed we will start the rough trimming of all parts in your case full trimming and packing.

Mark (AP)

Also Oct 24th:

Hello Future troopers

Here's a small update letting you know that we are currently in full production, helmets are done and will start forming the armor parts any day now, we should be done within 2 weeks then will come the packing and shipping of each order, we are a bit behind schedule since the shop I deal with had a big contract to finish before they could have started on my order, in the meantime here's a sneak  peek!

Mark (AP)

Nov 12th:

We are still in full production on the armor parts

Mark (AP)

Nov 19th:

Hello future trooper!

We are currently molding the armor parts but we are 2 weeks behind schedule,  the shop I deal with had to stop on my order and take care of a big contract, I'm a small fish compared to the jobs these guys deal with so they have no choice but to priorities the big companies that feed them big $$$  rest assured we are working as fast as we can, I will keep you updated.

Mark (AP)

On Dec 6th he said:

Hi Chris

Was about to send new update,  we Just finished molding everything, now that all parts are molded we will start the shipping process,the untrimmed and trimmed kits will ship first since they don't require as much work then we ship the ready to wear orders.

Mark (AP)

Hello everyone,

We Just finished molding everything, now that all parts are molded we will start the shipping process, the untrimmed and trimmed kits will ship first since they don't require as much work then we ship the ready to wear orders, you will soon receive email with balance info so expect a email from me in the next few days

I emailed him today to see where we were and he said that they just finished molding YESTERDAY:

Hello Chris

We just finished the molding this weekend so this week I'm shipping all untrimmed kits, the coming weekend I will start trimming and ship the trimmed kits which is tedious work, we have over 30 orders to ship between all kits.

Mark  (AP)

Seriously?  He said he'd finished them on the 6th but now it was actually on the 15-16th?  Which time was he lying? 

Sadly this seems to be an issue with some people. I’m a firm believer that if you can’t keep up with the demand then don’t sign up for the job. I get that things happen bad batches come about and things are done in runs but sometimes it’s a bit excessive. Hopefully it’s for real this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the same boat with you, Ordered mine in August, Paid in full on the 10th. It's now the 19th and no tracking number. I know that hes got a lot of orders. In one of the pictures you can see approx ~50 Helmet face pieces. So hes swamped. Irony im #14 on the list for trimmed :56pullhair:

Edited by James Whitley

• 2 weeks later...

It's due to arrive today!  It's actually at my local post office (according to Canada Post....), so if they actually attempt delivery it should be good.  I'm working today, sadly, but worst case I can hit the post office before they close.

• Like 1

Here it is, unboxed. I started painting/decaling the helmet last night and hope to have it finished today, other than the lens and grill.  I hate Humbrol paint after being spoiled by years of painting miniatures with acrylics.  The paint is still tacky from last night.

It's a fully trimmed kit but I am 5'9" and I know AP's kits come large so I am guessing there will be some more adjustment needed.  I am going to search for a good, detailed build thread that shows fitting and where each type of fastener is used.

49161289_10155887703007327_3785530831200583680_n.jpg

Edited by Digz Graavz
  • Like 2