HOWTO: Removable/interchangable holster w/ snaps

Harbinger

I originally posted this in my Hero build thread, but I'm now reposting it here for more visibility:

Hero Belt - Removable Holster w/ Snaps (HOWTO)

As part of my effort to be able to avoid redundancy, I plan on swapping my holster between my hero and stunt belts. I would also like the option to swap out my E-11 holster for an SE-14R holster, or an imperial binder holder at some point in the future.

could just use the chicago screws I have been using, but I'm not a huge fan as 1.) they scratch up my kidney plate and 2.) they take time to remove and re-install. So, I present an alternative solution, using pop rivets and snaps to allow for easy removal while still staying screen accurate.

Step 1: Using a 3/16" drill bit, manually drill out the center of a male snap fitting.

8GSrXdX.jpg

I am using Tandy line 24 nickel plates snaps, but any snap of the correct size would probably do. Even though these snaps have a 3/16" center hole, it is just a tad too small to allow a similar sized pop rivet through the hole.

Step 2: Place your snap on the inside of the belt (facing armor) and push a 3/16" aluminum pop rivet through the opposite side:

f3eoLutl.jpg

(Thanks @Hoda!)

Next, using a rivet gun, set the rivet inside the snap. Hold the snap and rivet tightly together as you start pulling the rivet through the gun - this ensures a nice snug fit with no gaps. The ball bearing may fall out, but the rivet should have deformed enough to hold the snap on tightly. You may need to use the snap setting tool to clean up/compress the interior if this happens.

Step 3: Repeat four more times (or two, for a Stunt belt!). The end result should be something like this:

e4bsv7t.jpg

zj5WVQJ.jpg

Step 4: Mount female snaps to the holster as normal. The holster can now be snapped to the belt and removed as needed:

ImqRIBC.jpg

mMwJb1K.jpg

I find the domed side is more resistant to scratching armor than the slotted heads of the chicago screws I was using previously. In may case, I'm re-using a holster I got second hand (came with the extra Anovos bits) so there were a few extra holes I didn't need. See my Stunt build thread for more details.

So, there you have it. For any additional holsters, just repeat Step 4, making sure your holes line up with the snaps. I made a photocopy of one of the holster straps before installing the snaps so I can use it as a template down the road. If swapping between Stunt and Hero belts the uppermost snaps will sit behind the belt, un-used.

Edited by Harbinger
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Since I'm stuck inside because #corona, I decided to follow this tutorial and make one of a belt for the ANH Stunt. Now I can swap out my belts easy!

A few addition from my learning this afternoon:

• Drilling the center of the snap really wasn't as easy as I thought it was going to be. I had to do it slowly, for what it's worth. I wish I had a more stable way to secure the snap.
  • Have the right sized pop rivet! I was struggling for a bit fitting the rivet through the snap that I drilled w/ the 3/16" drill bit. Turns out I grabbed the wrong rivets. Doh! Fixed that and it was easy sailing.
  • I did have to take a snap setting tool and smack the interior a few times.

This is a visualization of "step 2" from Brien's instruction above - "placing your snap on the inside of the belt facing armor and push a pop rivet through the opposite side"

f3eoLutl.jpg

Thank you, Brien!

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

That was the plan. I may update us with more photos once my hero belt is complete. Also looking into replacing the line 24 snaps on the holster itself with magnetic ones. We will see how that works, it’s not very easy re-securing it with my helmet on currently.

6 hours ago, Revvek said:

I really like the idea of making the holster easy to remove!

I find it makes storage a lot easier as it will lay flat. 

Here's a couple of options. Some also use chicago screws

025DAF9C-D7F8-426E-A88D-2F9D7D24096A-5419-000008D5E7ED71FE.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I simply use 1/4" chicago screws for the canvas belt to plastic belt and for the holster.  Everything simply comes apart with a flat head screwdriver.

The snap and rivet idea seems nice, but the Chicago screws look just a tad bit better?  I guess it's all up to our own personal ideas.

Using a Chicago screw is as simple as punching a hole, and using a screwdriver!

352994067_6141875575849386_5262354899690

• Like 1

I always use Chicago screws as well, but I add a small amount of medium duty threadlocker before tightening them.  This way, I know they won't come loose over time but can still be removed if/when needed.

Uq6bQVt.png

I've used riveted in snaps for years now, though I'd probably use a single cap if I did it again for better accuracy.  Pretty sure I based it on the Billigram Glen posted.

The thing I really like is I can store my belt and holster separately between troops and it only takes seconds to join or split the 2 parts.

Wgp8pFR.jpg

GiZPETN.jpg