Xan's ANH Stunt Build [ATA]

Tony has a nice little tutorial of reinforcing the attachment points for the brackets here
Not sure if that's enough of a photo set for you, but it's a start. Definitely shows how they end up.
That's pretty much EXACTLY what I was considering doing! My worry was ABS cracking as well.

Good to know I was on the right mindset track!

Sent from my MSE-6 droid using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, Xanthais said:

That's pretty much EXACTLY what I was considering doing! My worry was ABS cracking as well.

Good to know I was on the right mindset track! emoji41.png

ATA armor is very robust. It should be able to handle brackets without cracking however, every armor has a shelf life. If you build it correctly, to your body type and maintain it, it should last for quite some time :duim:.  

• Like 1

ATA armor is very robust. It should be able to handle brackets without cracking however, every armor has a shelf life. If you build it correctly, to your body type and maintain it, it should last for quite some time :duim:.  

Yeah I plan on maintaining it pretty well, but just like driving, you can only control what you do and not what anyone else does. I'm envisioning bumps and jostles to where I might want that little bit of extra rigidity on the brackets just in case.

• Like 1

I wanted to add the original style brackets but was just worried about the cracking down the track so when for a standard elastic system inside. Even if you go with the brackets you could always have the elastic attached to those a little loose and add an elastic system inside, this will keep the strain of the brackets and hopefully they will last a little longer.

I have 3 cracks in my ATA and that's over 6 years so I'm pretty happy, two came from airline transport, noticed them when I got to the destination, one in the kidney plate and one on the shoulder straps, both have been fixed with extra support glued behind. The most recent crack is on the sides of one of my shins, I guess because of the opening closing over the years, again I've added a support piece behind.

• Like 2

LBB Day! Aside from my HFX E-11, which hopefully should arrive soon, my shipment arrived from Imperial Boots' September wave just now!

Having read in a few threads about size running on the small side, I ordered a size 13. I normally wear a 12.

First thing I noticed was these guys do not skimp on their packaging. It arrived in a DHL shipping envelope. Inside that was another white plastic shipping envelope wrapped in IB tape. Inside that was the shoebox, also wrapped in IB tape.

In the shoebox, both boots were immaculate, each wrapped in their own microfabric mesh baggie, and each stuffed with filler packing to retain its shape for shipment, along with what I'd call a "certificate of authenticity", thanking you for buying from them, and a 4" x 4" patch!

Trying them on they both fit perfectly. I did notice that I could not feel any discernible arch support, but ordering the next size up from my normal, that leaves just enough room for a gel/arch support insert. Perfect for trooping!

All in all so far 10/10 for this product!

dbf7e28429bd4ffdcb9165467b55e1da.jpg

Edited by Xanthais
  • Like 3

Nope they just sit on the top of the boots. Some add snaps or velcro if they have a problem with them trying to ride up though.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Copy that, thanks!

Nope they just sit on the top of the boots. Some add snaps or velcro if they have a problem with them trying to ride up though.

• Like 1

You can loop a piece of elastic through the top loop on the boot, then add a snap to it and another on a snap plate to the inside of the shin. Just helps when you bend your knees to keep the shin down on your boot, also stops rotation ;) 

• Like 1

There are several ways you can accomplish securing the shin, in addition to what Glen mentioned you can also add a square patch of industrial strength velcro to the front of your boot and inside your shin. That's my go to choice with most of my armor. 

• Like 1

Same question on the cod. Red or Blue wire?

On this one I'm assuming its the red line, but I want to be sure before I start trimming.

b753c5447f17323085a582ce636da5fc.jpg

Edited by Xanthais

Boy, first lack of pics, now a plethora!

Back piece. Do I leave return edge (Blue line), or take it all off and cut to the Red line?

Left pic is blue line cut. Right pic is interior other side, not yet trimmed at all.

Again by the look of the left pic, I'm guessing all the way to the red line is what I want, yes?1b4fb558efa5ae4ad74fe2a40e5d97c3.jpg

Is there a right-side-up on the Kidney, or is it meant to be either side up?

Also, I might have to go with snaps system instead of brackets, since my waist size might mean I have to trim all return edge from kidney to it meets with the ab plate for Centurion requirement, leaving no attachment point for brackets.

Will have to wait and see how it all fits when taped on for initial pre-sizing with the undersuit.

• Like 1

Is there a right-side-up on the Kidney, or is it meant to be either side up?

Also, I might have to go with snaps system instead of brackets, since my waist size might mean I have to trim all return edge from kidney to it meets with the ab plate for Centurion requirement, leaving no attachment point for brackets.

Will have to wait and see how it all fits when taped on for initial pre-sizing with the undersuit.
Yes there is a right side up on the kidney, the side with the notches goes down. Though brackets are what was used onscreen it doesn't matter for approval at any level.

• Like 1

Red line (butt), red line (cod), blue line (back plate). Check the gallery (top of the page) for reference photos! Also Centurion applications are always useful in figuring that out.

• Like 2

What Luc said. Even if you are just wanting basic approval it never hurts to look at the EIB and Centurion applications/builds.

Yes there is a right side up on the kidney, the side with the notches goes down. Though brackets are what was used onscreen it doesn't matter for approval at any level.

Hmmmm....I have no lower notch cutout lines.

There is a raised return edge on one side, but its flat on the other.8232382b5ca85d1e6c757a5fc28374e3.jpgaa1e9beae882ce5a1a089f0b10904ada.jpg427bc9a688cea4ebf5e07fe0b7fa9288.jpg5cf17552e820eef75b226c0b0eb607b8.jpg

In a lot of armour, the top of the kidney will slope upwards where it meets the ab plate. Another thing to look at is seeing how the raised middle section meets up with the raised part of the butt plate. Hopefully that helps you sort if out.

• Like 1

In a lot of armour, the top of the kidney will slope upwards where it meets the ab plate. Another thing to look at is seeing how the raised middle section meets up with the raised part of the butt plate. Hopefully that helps you sort if out.
Actually, that helps a TON. The upward slope is definitely there.

I'll wait to cut the notches, however, until it's all fitted. Just to ensure it's right.
879d644da2367b80cb97f737f22d3de3.jpg

Match it up with the ab to ensure that's the correct orientation. Note that the notches are not required. If you don't have to cut them out, I wouldn't bother. Your call though!

• Like 1