Xan's ANH Stunt Build [ATA]

The left bicep and left shin are a bit oddly shaped too so you may need to shape those as well. I would say the thighs aren't the biggest too so be sure to size before you trim.

• Like 2

Regarding the Chest/Ab and Back/Kidney connections. I've seen some people use snaps/elastic to connect their pieces, and others use the metal brackets/elastic.

Ā 

I assume the Snaps version means all torso pieces can come apart, thus more compact storage, whereas the Brackets version stays together all the time, correct?

Ā 

Also, regarding the magnets....I was going to get four packs (24 magnets total)Ā ofĀ these on Amazon.Ā Are they the right size?

Edited by Xanthais

3 hours ago, Xanthais said:

Regarding the Chest/Ab and Back/Kidney connections. I've seen some people use snaps/elastic to connect their pieces, and others use the metal brackets/elastic.

Ā 

I assume the Snaps version means all torso pieces can come apart, thus more compact storage, whereas the Brackets version stays together all the time, correct?

Ā 

Also, regarding the magnets....I was going to get four packs (24 magnets total)Ā ofĀ these on Amazon.Ā Are they the right size?

Correct.

Ā 

As for the magnets, those will do but are expensive. If you can wait a bit a cheaper alternativeĀ  would be the following. Been using these for a few years now.Ā 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20PCS-12mm-X-4mm-N50-Strong-Round-Disc-Cylinder-Magnets-Rare-Earth-Neodymium/272016153745?hash=item3f556d1c91:g:M8sAAOSwT5tWHkaSĀ 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

Correct.

Ā 

As for the magnets, those will do but are expensive. If you can wait a bit a cheaper alternativeĀ  would be the following. Been using these for a few years now.Ā 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20PCS-12mm-X-4mm-N50-Strong-Round-Disc-Cylinder-Magnets-Rare-Earth-Neodymium/272016153745?hash=item3f556d1c91:g:M8sAAOSwT5tWHkaSĀ 

Awesome, thanks Tony! A 20-pack should be fine (I think?), and waiting on China shipping isn't that bad.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Xanthais said:

tļ»æheļ»æļ»æ thought of drawing with the left and transitioning to my right hand, makes my OCD ping likļ»æe cļ»ærazļ»æyļ»æ

My goodness yes, awful, I've even been advised to carry in the left hand all the time so the Hengstler doesn't knock into my armor. Kills me. But if it results in my learning to sight with my left eye, maybe it'llĀ be worth it. Haha

Ā 

10 hours ago, lucnak said:

I wouldļ»æ ļ»æsay the thighs aren't the biggest too so be sure to size before you tļ»ærimļ»æ.ļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æ

I literally *just* got done the preliminary trim of my thighs and held them together for an idea of size and was absolutely shocked that they very well might fit me exactly as is. So yes. They are small. Very small, if you ask me. Or maybe I just have glorious rugby thighs and don't know it.Ā :mellow::laugh1:

• Like 2

So I have a couple issues.

First and foremost being that Amazon delivered me an empty bag, when it was supposed to contain my curved and straight Lexan shears set. No, it did not get stolen because there is a friend outside waiting for their kid to get out of school literally in my driveway and saw the driver walk up deliver the package and leave and I came outside two minutes later. GRRRRRRRR!

Secondly is a cutting/trimming question. Should I cut right to the excess line (red), or go close to it (blue), size it on with tape and go from there?
I'm thinking the latter, since you can always trim more if needed, but it's a PITA, if even possible, to go back once you've cut, correct?

Ā 

119b79a891b4371e4a9e3b2d968b1418.jpg

Ā 

Lastly, as you can see by the image, my right shin (Image is not as if it's on me. Right pic is labeled "R" in sharpie inside) is pretty strange. It has a large curve that would be on my outside ankle, yet the left hand side of it is drastically higher. Was this a bad pull of ABS? Is it normal?
Ā 

e3e15281d119cac00db85c6ffcb4bd25.jpg

Sent from my MSE-6 droid using Tapatalk
Ā 

Edited by Xanthais

25 minutes ago, Xanthais said:

Secondly is a cutting/trimming question.

A bit hard to see but looks like there`s a cutline molded in? If so I would start there.

26 minutes ago, Xanthais said:

Is it normal?

Normal :duim: You can trim it or leave it - either way is fine:salute:

• Like 3

I started with all the cutlines molded in, as Daniel said. They were pretty apparent on all my pieces - if not on the outside, then on the inside. Basically where it starts getting real bumpy and wrinkly, I sketched along that borderĀ with a pencil, made sure THAT line made sense, and cut there.

Also, my shins look the same as yours. (Flipped, as yours are: )

dYspf3I.jpg

As far as I'm aware, it's just part of the beautiful ATA wonkiness. Really are some beautiful shins.

• Like 1

I'm a firm believer in "The right tool for the right job.". What's the difference between the curved lexan scissors and the straight ones? Is it as simple as curved for curved lines, and straight for straight ones?

Ā 

Sent from my MSE-6 droid using Tapatalk

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

If you're using the 20mm cover strip on the front you should be trimming to 10mm per side so the cover strip lines up as close to ridge ledge as possible. The rear will only be fixed on one side and should be marked at the 12.5mm splitting the difference of the 25mm for the back.

Ā 

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rat said:

If you're using the 20mm cover strip on the front you should be trimming to 10mm per side so the cover strip lines up as close to ridge ledge as possible. The rear will only be fixed on one side and should be marked at the 12.5mm splitting the difference of the 25mm for the back.

Ā 

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Awesome, thanks!

2 minutes ago, TheLorelei said:

I've been told to leave it a little wider than that, for what it's worth. Add aĀ millimeter to each side for instance, after dividing theĀ appropriate cover strip widthĀ in half.

Yeah I did the initialĀ trims even leaving some of the rough cutaway areas until my first taped fittings, just to make sure. Can always take off more, but putting something back after you've removed it is definitely something I don't want to mess with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xanthais said:

Thanks Tony. It's a daunting task, to be sure.

Ā 

I know I'm lacking in the pics department, but I never remember to take any as I'm going. It's always after. LOL

DontĀ worry about the pics, touse are just for us to help you. Post as neededĀ ;)

• Like 2

Many of us get so carried away in building that we forget to take some photos (except Tony of course)Ā :laugh1:

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Many of us get so carried away in building that we forget to take some photos (except Tony of course)Ā :laugh1:

lol, actually I have a WTF build thread about ready to post and guess what I forgot to take, chest plate after trimming photos DOE!Ā :laugh1:

Just now, ukswrath said:

lol, actually I have a WTF build thread about ready to post and guess what I forgot to take, chest plate after trimming photos DOE!Ā :laugh1:

:laugh1: