Xan's ANH Stunt Build [ATA]

Starting my build thread here, and I'm stealing the post formatting from BigCara (hope you don't mind, man!) simply because it's so concise.

Armor: ATA Works (Got the bucket. The rest is about to go into production, yet to be shipped)
Balaclava: (Have one already)
Brackets: Trooperbay TK/TD Full Bracket Set: (Ordered)
Gloves & Soft Hand Guard (White) Combo: Trooperbay (Ordered)
Holster: (ANH) Trooperbay (Ordered)
Neck Seal: Trooperbay (Ordered)

TK/TD White Canvas Belt: Trooperbay: (Ordered)
E-11 Blaster: Hyperfirm (Ordered)

Boots: Imperial Boots (Ordered on 9/7 wave)

Fans: Still researching

Undersuit: Still researching. Undecided on whether to go zip-front one-piece, or two separate compression pieces.
Comms: Still researching

If anyone sees any issues with what I've decided to order, or if I'm missing something, it's not to late to let me know what's what, and to go a different/better route!

Thanks!

Edited by Xanthais
Updated order list

2 minutes ago, CableGuy said:

Nice work, Craig. Looking forward to following your progress. :-)

Thanks.  Hmmm, is there a way I can "follow" my OP?  I forgot to see if there was a way to do that before I posted, and want to be aware of any replies pretty quickly.

2 minutes ago, Xanthais said:

Thanks.  Hmmm, is there a way I can "follow" my OP?  I forgot to see if there was a way to do that before I posted, and want to be aware of any replies pretty quickly.

I believe you automatically follow when you start a thread. Did you get a notification when I replied? 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Rat said:

Well let the fun begin. Look forward to watching your build Craig.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Thanks. Super nervous, but I know slow & steady wins the race. Plus I'm gonna have mentor help by my SoCal Garrison (IE Squad) mates, so really looking forward to the BBB Day and getting this thing started!

• Like 1

Hey Craig! Hopping over to your thread. I was hugely indecisive over the undersuit and ended up trying a couple options before I found one that worked for me. I ended up with a one piece, mostly because it fit my skinny limbs the best, but I will say that while fitting your armor, it is a lot more convenient to be able to put on only the part you need. I have to go put on my full unitard, and it's a bit of a pain. But I DO like not worrying about my shirt riding. :D Regardless I think you'll want to get your undersuit sooner rather than later so you can begin working on your armor as soon as possible since you'll need it for fittings!

As far as comms, I'm planning on using an old iPhone with TrooperTalk. I have yet to truly figure out the amp and mic situation, though. Back to that when the glory of my new armor wears off!

• Like 1

Also an unrelated question.

Do eyeglasses have room to fit in the buckets? I do have contacts, but with allergies it's easier to wear glasses during harsh seasons, since I dont have to use eyedrops every so often.

Sent from my MSE-6 droid using Tapatalk

I'm quite fond of this thread for teeth/frown references. Good stuff.

Standing by for answers on the glasses - I have hopes of mounting a pair of prescription lenses behind my green lenses as I heard somebody else did (once, maybe, somewhere), but also maybe it doesn't matter since you can't see anyway?...

• Like 2

So much good info here on this site. I've created a Google Doc with tons of links such as this one from @Scimitar on putting ABS between the white elastic fold-over on the shoulder snaps, for rigidity and reinforcement on areas that get pulled and tugged on when putting on and taking off the armor. The less agitation to stress points, the better.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Xanthais said:

So much good info here on this site. I've created a Google Doc with tons of links such as this one from @Scimitar on putting ABS between the white elastic fold-over on the shoulder snaps, for rigidity and reinforcement on areas that get pulled and tugged on when putting on and taking off the armor. The less agitation to stress points, the better.

Just remember to not go too thick on the ABS, otherwise you may not be able to get the snap post sufficiently through the combined layers of elastic and ABS to set it. :) I found that different brand snaps have different post lengths, of the ones I've had so far the Tandy snaps have the longest posts.

Good luck with your build!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scimitar said:

Just remember to not go too thick on the ABS, otherwise you may not be able to get the snap post sufficiently through the combined layers of elastic and ABS to set it. :) I found that different brand snaps have different post lengths, of the ones I've had so far the Tandy snaps have the longest posts.

Awesome, thanks! I should have enough of the thinner ABS from the helmet trimmings to make that work. The ear pieces are really thick stock (around 1/16" I'm guessing), but the neck and side trimmings are much, much thinner.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Xanthais said:

Did the pencil sketching for the eye and mouth cutouts.

For the mouth, how much return edge should there be, and is there a determined height each cutout should be?

Sent from my MSE-6 droid using Tapatalk

gallery_12157_36_77206b.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scimitar said:

FWIW most line 24 snaps have the same length post ;)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

FWIW most line 24 snaps have the same length post ;)

That makes sense. I've had four different "Line 24" snaps so far: the ones Mark (AP) included with the armor, the snaps that came with my setting tool (Home Depot), the Amazon snaps sold as Tandy snaps (but weren't), and the actual Tandy snaps. All 4 have different length posts, the Amazon fakes were really short, so that's why I said that. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scimitar said:

That makes sense. I've had four different "Line 24" snaps so far: the ones Mark (AP) included with the armor, the snaps that came with my setting tool (Home Depot), the Amazon snaps sold as Tandy snaps (but weren't), and the actual Tandy snaps. All 4 have different length posts, the Amazon fakes were really short, so that's why I said that. :)

Hence the reason I recommend DOT or Fasnap. Roghly the same cost as Tandy yet much higher quality.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

Hence the reason I recommend DOT or Fasnap. Roghly the same cost as Tandy yet much higher quality.  

I've had no issues with the actual Tandy snaps, if I had received them the first time around everything would have been fine. lol I've since seen a few recommendations for Fasnap, I'd not mind trying them out to see how they compare.

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:25 AM, Scimitar said:

I've had no issues with the actual Tandy snaps, if I had received them the first time around everything would have been fine. lol I've since seen a few recommendations for Fasnap, I'd not mind trying them out to see how they compare.

Well if you're not having issues than you're good. No need to buy more snaps and waste money ;)

• Like 1

Looking good, Craig!  Studying the build threads is a great idea, and asking questions with photos attached is even better.  :duim:

If I can put in my 2 cents worth on the undersuit, I would go with the 2 piece.  Occasionally on a troop "nature calls", and I have found it easy to answer that call with a separate shirt/pants, (without going into too much detail).  There are some pretty inexpensive options on Amazon:

Shirt:  https://www.amazon.com/Defender-Compression-Shirts-Baselayer-Tights/dp/B01JOCHHX2/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1536390505&sr=8-30&keywords=mens+black+compression+shirt+black

Pants:  https://www.amazon.com/saraca-core-Teenage-Compression-Leggings/dp/B077ZYY6NN/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1536390572&sr=8-7&keywords=mens+black+compression+pants+black

As for the fans, Tony has an awesome selection of options here:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/35994-fs-ukswraths-cooling-fan-kits/

• Like 2