aghoneim's ANOVOS TK - 1st build

aghoneim

Alright, I've trimmed down the biceps further as well as  the return edges (kept to 5-7mm guideline). Though for the inner bicep, where it dips down, on the left one it was ~8mm to start, while the right one is closer to 10mm in the dip. Above the dip it's 5-7 and didn't require any trimming. I only trimmed return edge on the outer bicep where it was a little larger. 

How does it look now? Note that I made sure to flex and that really about as much space as I have before it starts to get tight. 

Left (straight arm):

IMG_7274.jpg

Right (flexed as an example):

IMG_7278.jpg

A good test is to touch the top of your head. If you can do that comfortably than you're good. Because you will have to put your bucket on after everything else.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Rat said:

A good test is to touch the top of your head. If you can do that comfortably than you're good. Because you will have to put your bucket on after everything else.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Sweet! That's where I'm at. To be honest, my only concern is that the wrist edge of the forearm is a little large (especially the right one), but having said that the hand fits through comfortably and I can touch my head. Perhaps once they're all strapped/attached together it'll feel less loose?

Edited by aghoneim

... so as I asked that question about it feeling loose I realized I had answered my own question, trim it! "One of the things I'm learning is how much space do I *think* I need vs. how much is enough for mobility" 

... and I did and it's better already. 

:glare:

• Like 1

Just to go back to the topic of shins ... (it's been a busy day!)

1. How do you size them? Are they supposed to go up to the knees or slightly below it?

2. I'm still not 100% confident I have the shin pieces identified as L/R because of the whole labeling confusion. Any tips for checking?

(Only thing I could follow was Tony's image that they be longer on the inner ankle and higher on the outer ankle for both sides... Also Rat mentioned to have the sharper dip on the inside of the ankle.)

IMG_7279.jpg

Edited by aghoneim

As suggested, just did a fit check with undersuit and boots on. I pulled in the overlap on shins and thighs to get a sense of the fit. That should be no problem to trim off. I'm also happy with the length of the shins (though should I have tried with the sniper knee?).

However, I hobbled around like a penguin because the rear bottom of both thighs cut off my mobility. Here are two pictures:

IMG_7304.jpg

For this one, with one leg partially bent, that's the max mobility I could get out of it (which would make for some interesting stories going up/down stairs I'd say!)

IMG_7303.jpg

3 minutes ago, NoZoupForYou said:

The longer lip goes on the inseam, no? These shins are crazy, lol. So much confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahaha I agree! I've been obsessing over them - I feel like I can barely tell! But when I focused just on the one leg, the shin curves more on the inside which seems to be correct ... Which I think looks like that a few pics above. But then again, the lip doesn't match. I can't tell! :explodingemotie:

Edited by aghoneim

12 minutes ago, aghoneim said:

I hobbled around like a penguin

12 minutes ago, aghoneim said:

which would make for some interesting stories going up/down stairs I'd say!

Welcome to the TK life :laugh1:

You can notch out the back of thighs and shins, but I would (and probably others) recommend you to get everything assembled and tested before you do that.

JUFMY2g.jpg

• Like 1

The longer lip goes on the inseam, no? These shins are crazy, lol. So much confusion.

There's been a lot of debating and been dubbed "shingate" due to the split in it. Mine are to the outside and are okay.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That is what I did. I put it all together and then decided to trim them out. Which if you're concerned about it for accuracy it is totally screen accurate.

You can notch out the back of thighs and shins, but I would (and probably others) recommend you to get everything assembled and tested before you do that.

JUFMY2g.jpg&key=6aff1dc09c0f3ac0796ce1f618f53bb1403b45559761d56cfab5cec96f953fb5

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ensi said:

Looking forward to that that sweet TK trooping ;) ... hobble or not

4 minutes ago, Ensi said:

u can notch out the back of thighs and shins, but I would (and probably others) recommend you to get everything assembled and tested before you do that.

Sounds good, I'll just take the excess off and then leave it till later then. 

Oh I actually didn't notice the bottom return edge was almost completely cut off in those pics. As well as the upper return on the rear of the shins. I imagine if I remove that then I should be golden .... but I guess I'll find that out later. 

5 minutes ago, Rat said:

There's been a lot of debating and been dubbed "shingate" due to the split in it. Mine are to the outside and are okay.

As for shingate ... lol. Yeah... Sounds like it's not something that goes against approval at the end. I'll just go with what's comfortable then :)

Quick question on the note of trimming (again). Is it possible to take too much off to deform the thigh? Or as long as I take equal amounts off the rear butt connection on both inner/outer thigh, I should be ok?

I basically measured 6cm overlap - and taking 3 cm off the outer thigh piece looks like this (which mostly cuts off the straight end at the top):

IMG_7306.jpg

• Like 1

But don't forget to taper them. Your body is not cylindrical, but rather conical. So the top of your thigh is larger than your lower thigh and so on.

• Like 1

Ok thighs and shins trimmed down. Tried my best to keep the taper throughout. The right leg at the top is a little tighter than the left one, but overall they both fit well. The left fit is perfect. 

How's it look? Ready for gluing? 

IMG_7310.png

IMG_7313.png

Looking good, just try to get the ridge sections as close as you can as some of these aren't covered. You can also add a little scrap ABS behind the ridges if there is a gap ;)

Glue away

2 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Looking good, just try to get the ridge sections as close as you can as some of these aren't covered. You can also add a little scrap ABS behind the ridges if there is a gap ;)

Glue away

Sweet! Glad to hear! :)

I haven't started sanding down yet, so I expect I may be able to even out some of the inconsistencies in order to get them to line up for gluing. 

• Like 2

Also if the tightness is in the upper thigh area you can completely remove the return edge there and it is still accurate. I don't have a photo of the screen used armor to show you, but I'm sure Glen or Joseph or one of the others will plop one in for a reference.

28 minutes ago, Rat said:

Also if the tightness is in the upper thigh area you can completely remove the return edge there and it is still accurate. I don't have a photo of the screen used armor to show you, but I'm sure Glen or Joseph or one of the others will plop one in for a reference.

Yeah I was planning anyways to remove the upper return edge from the rear of the shin, and the lower return edge from the rear of the thigh. That should help get the full bend in the leg. From there ... we'll see!

Edited by aghoneim
  • Like 1

I haven't removed the rear upper shin return edge, but I did remove the lower rear thigh return edge. I also had to remove my top thigh return edge due to having to shorten them a bit.

I haven't removed the rear upper shin return edge, but I did remove the lower rear thigh return edge. I also had to remove my top thigh return edge due to having to shorten them a bit.

Hmm ok - well the thigh one is more of what’s cutting off a better leg bend. So I guess that’s a good place to start! Thanks!

• Like 1

Oh well that is a happy coincidence and I suppose you're welcome.

Hmm ok - well the thigh one is more of what’s cutting off a better leg bend. So I guess that’s a good place to start! Thanks!

• Like 1