aghoneim's ANOVOS TK - 1st build

aghoneim

22 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

Remove the return at the wrist completely then size that up so that you just barely can get your hand through would be my advise, the elbow end can be a bit looser:salute:

Oh and I meant to say remove all inner return at the elbow too, not necessary but so much more comfortable:duim:

29 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

Remove the return at the wrist completely then size that up so that you just barely can get your hand through would be my advise, the elbow end can be a bit looser:salute:

Alright, wrist trimmed. I'll smooth it out later. Here's a few pics: 

IMG_7251.jpg IMG_7252.jpg

For sizing it up, what's the best way for figuring out how much to cut? Here's me illustrating what I think I need to do:

left_wrist_1.png

And to do so, I'd need to trim the butt connection (I think that's the name?) location on both pieces  by X amount in order to get the circumference down to the 5-7mm goal?

Sorry for all the newbie questions!

Thanks!

32 minutes ago, aghoneim said:

For sizing it up, what's the best way for figuring out how much t

At the wrist you overlap the halves at the back untill the opening is just big enough to let your hand through, that will ensure a nice fit unless you have really big hands and smaller wrist, if that’s the case than you will have to settle with a bigger opening and maybe use some foam to get the fit right...either way is fine for approval and beyond. At the elbow as I said earlier you can keep it lose, a finger between the limb and armor is a good rule of thumb. Use the other parts as reference before glueing stuff up as you will want it to look proportional, I always have everything sized and checked in relation to the whole before I glue anything. When you have the sizeing to were you want it, mark the center of the overlap on both ends and you will have your trim lines:salute:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheSwede said:

At the wrist you overlap the halves at the back untill the opening is just big enough to let your hand through, that will ensure a nice fit unless you have really big hands and smaller wrist, if that’s the case than you will have to settle with a bigger opening and maybe use some foam to get the fit right...either way is fine for approval and beyond. At the elbow as I said earlier you can keep it lose, a finger between the limb and armor is a good rule of thumb. Use the other parts as reference before glueing stuff up as you will want it to look proportional, I always have everything sized and checked in relation to the whole before I glue anything. When you have the sizeing to were you want it, mark the center of the overlap on both ends and you will have your trim lines:salute:

Thanks for this Daniel! That really helped!

Naturally two more questions: :)

• Is overlapping back parts of armor (or parts that are hidden) a general approach?
  • Quick clarification: "mark the center of the overlap on both ends and you will have your trim lines" ... Is that because the cover strip will join those ends together? And another pic just to be sure I understand:

left_overlap.png

Before cutting anything, I'll be sure to get the shoulder + bicep on and see how it all feels and looks. But just by overlapping as you suggested, that really helped make it more snug while still allowing me to reach my head. 

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Naturally two more questions:
  • Is overlapping back parts of armor (or parts that are hidden) a general approach?
  • Quick clarification: "mark the center of the overlap on both ends and you will have your trim lines" ... Is that because the cover strip will join those ends together? And another pic just to be sure I understand:
left_overlap.png&key=83958436cd222af5161858be147084f1279e6cdcfc720238d82c84890fe59f4b

Before cutting anything, I'll be sure to get the shoulder + bicep on and see how it all feels and looks. But just by overlapping as you suggested, that really helped make it more snug while still allowing me to reach my head. 

Thanks again!
Generally speaking yes that is what you want to do. Where the raised ridges are is where the public will see and so you want to trim the back side of that.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rat said:

Generally speaking yes that is what you want to do. Where the raised ridges are is where the public will see and so you want to trim the back side of that.

Got it! Yeah that would make sense, and help to fit multiple parts before getting to trimming things down further. 

Remember that this is also where you will fit it, but also shape it. So when you are doing this you want to get that taper on the parts.

I will also suggest removing all the return edge before gluing. Measure, fit, measure, shape, measure rinse and repeat. I say this because if you until after to trim the return edge it will change the fit.

20 minutes ago, Rat said:

Remember that this is also where you will fit it, but also shape it. So when you are doing this you want to get that taper on the parts.

What do you mean by "taper on the parts"?

17 minutes ago, Rat said:

I will also suggest removing all the return edge before gluing. Measure, fit, measure, shape, measure rinse and repeat. I say this because if you until after to trim the return edge it will change the fit.

Sounds good. I guess I'll start with all return edge on forearm and bicep, leave the return edge on shoulder bell and then see how the whole arm looks together. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, aghoneim said:

Naturally two more questions: :)

left_overlap.png

Thanks again!

In regards to the pic it’s a no! (Unless I don’t get what you mean:P) that’s only were to start cutting from that end, you will have to see how much to cut on the elbow end too....when you have made the sizing you will probably have an overlap and you mark the center on the part that goes over and the part that goes under on one end (wrist) then repeat for the other end of the armor part (elbow) then draw a line between the marks on both pieces (outer/inner half).

the reason for trimming the back is because the armor has ridges molded in on the front and you will want to Keep those in order to look like the Troopers seen on screen. You should aim for the same size cover strips front and back even though most look at you from the front the back need to look the part as well. On screen accurate biceps there are no ridges so on those you trim equally from both halves/sides.  

Taper means that the piece is bigger on one end and then gradualy gets smaller/narrower. The forearm as an example is bigger at the elbow and smaller at the wrist, you don’t want it to be a square block on your arm, same goes for all the limbs, simply put the armor should follow the contour of the body:)

And return edge, I would leave some on the outside half of the forearm and lower bicep as it gives the armor an illusion of thickess. And by some I mean a few mm. I start with roughly 5-7 mm and then trim it down to my liking in terms of fit, look and comfort. Just don’t be to quick to shave all of it off before testing how you like it - only place you do right of the bat is the wrist and bottom of shins:salute:

And - I would recommend checking out the approved Centurions in the advanced tactics section to see how it can look like when finished and it will help you on your build:duim:

• Like 3

In regards to the pic it’s a no! (Unless I don’t get what you mean) that’s only were to start cutting from that end, you will have to see how much to cut on the elbow end too....when you have made the sizing you will probably have an overlap and you mark the center on the part that goes over and the part that goes under on one end (wrist) then repeat for the other end of the armor part (elbow) then draw a line between the marks on both pieces (outer/inner half).
the reason for trimming the back is because the armor has ridges molded in on the front and you will want to Keep those in order to look like the Troopers seen on screen. You should aim for the same size cover strips front and back even though most look at you from the front the back need to look the part as well. On screen accurate biceps there are no ridges so on those you trim equally from both halves/sides.  
Taper means that the piece is bigger on one end and then gradualy gets smaller/narrower. The forearm as an example is bigger at the elbow and smaller at the wrist, you don’t want it to be a square block on your arm, same goes for all the limbs, simply put the armor should follow the contour of the body
And return edge, I would leave some on the outside half of the forearm and lower bicep as it gives the armor an illusion of thickess. And by some I mean a few mm. I start with roughly 5-7 mm and then trim it down to my liking in terms of fit, look and comfort. Just don’t be to quick to shave all of it off before testing how you like it - only place you do right of the bat is the wrist and bottom of shins:salute:

And - I would recommend checking out the approved Centurions in the advanced tactics section to see how it can look like when finished and it will help you on your build:duim:

Thanks! Again this really helps! I feel like I understand the approach better now. :)

I had also referred back to ukswrath’s guide and see how I need to measure the excess, trim it, and leave space for the cover strips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Alright, so I've been trimming the biceps and forearms down to my measurements. Before I do another fitting - I had a question about the wrist end of the right forearm.

I aligned from the elbow, and made sure to keep the 15mm front butt connection for the cover strip as well. I'm happy with the fit, but I'm worried that I will have to trim a lot off the wrist end to keep aligned. 

IMG_7261.pngIMG_7260.jpg

Just now, Rat said:

I may be corrected, but I would say yes that all needs to go.

Man you're fast! I figured it would need to, but felt worried that it's too close to the ... what's it called... ribbed part of the forearm that faces everyone ? :huh:

• Like 1

You don’t need any return edge on the front or back of the forearms so I’d personally be more inclined to match up the fronts and trim the rear, but that’s me;) 

• Like 2

Ok, biceps and forearms all trimmed down. Cover strip space at 15mm for front of both forearms. There's still some extra wiggle room in the each of the pieces, but it's also comfortable enough to slide my hand through.

So, next step fitment check. Thoughts? (I've tried to align all the pieces on the arms as best as I could, but it's finicky at best.)

Right Arm

IMG_7268.png

Left Arm:

IMG_7267.png

Altogether:

IMG_7262.png

So they look pretty good. However it does seem that you have a bit of room to play with in the bicep sizing. I mean it appears that you have nearly a half inch between you and the armor and quite a bit of return edge. This could cause some discomfort and "armor bite" down the road I would suggest bringing the return edge down a little more and tightening the fit just a little more.

Ok, biceps and forearms all trimmed down. Cover strip space at 15mm for front of both forearms. There's still some extra wiggle room in the each of the pieces, but it's also comfortable enough to slide my hand through.

So, next step fitment check. Thoughts? (I've tried to align all the pieces on the arms as best as I could, but it's finicky at best.)

Right Arm
IMG_7268.png&key=f69cede5de313e9e1ee3c44dd03bbdde631ec8eb2110ff1d399166ed22489df8

Left Arm:
IMG_7267.png&key=db09cec150fd37f35660436f8025a2bf895b2bbc52ebe0fddb28529bcab3e86f

Altogether:
IMG_7262.png&key=e44fad2cc0cf837701a8af40869ab4ce695ce42ee33c34e3f6ae1e4ad2b773e8

• Like 1

Also, getting ready to move on to shins. Tony wrote in his Anovos build thread that the pairs may be mislabeled. So, I've decided to check, but they seemed lined up fine to me. Thoughts?

Pairs: 24/25, 27/28
shins-24-25.jpg&key=8e6d2bbb3dce6510dc7611a047102dcb5c5d37041790741893c86a6a8e31c529

Those look good. If you notice there is a slightly sharper taper on your inside piece and the longer swoop is on the outside. From what I know and I may be corrected by tony or someone else, but that is the proper alignment for them. This is how mine look if it helps.b3cb6927523bdcd109fbf5e82b343ba1.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rat said:

So they look pretty good. However it does seem that you have a bit of room to play with in the bicep sizing. I mean it appears that you have nearly a half inch between you and the armor and quite a bit of return edge. This could cause some discomfort and "armor bite" down the road I would suggest bringing the return edge down a little more and tightening the fit just a little more.

Thanks Rat - you're right, I'll trim the biceps down a bit more. I've been generous with the spacing ;)

19 minutes ago, Rat said:

Those look good. If you notice there is a slightly sharper taper on your inside piece and the longer swoop is on the outside. From what I know and I may be corrected by tony or someone else, but that is the proper alignment for them. This is how mine look if it helps.b3cb6927523bdcd109fbf5e82b343ba1.jpg

Alright, sounds good! Also, I did try the alternative pairings a suggested by Tony, but the upper edges did not line up well at all. Maybe Anovos got the labeling right by now?!

• Like 1

Glad to help with that spacing. It was one I sort of struggled with as I was building as well. Who knows if they will or not it would be nice though.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Rat said:

Glad to help with that spacing. It was one I sort of struggled with as I was building as well. Who knows if they will or not it would be nice though.

The help is very much appreciated! ... Yeah, one of the things I'm learning is how much space do I *think* I need vs. how much is enough for mobility lol

• Like 1