aghoneim's ANOVOS TK - 1st build

aghoneim

5 hours ago, TheSwede said:

Always start with a very light score and gradually build the pressure with atleast 4 passes would be my advice:salute:

I'll make sure to do that ...  I was doing it with two passes because of a youtube video I found where this guy just traces with an exacto knife and then snaps a thigh piece so fast! 

I'll make sure to do that ...  I was doing it with two passes because of a youtube video I found where this guy just traces with an exacto knife and then snaps a thigh piece so fast! 
Which video? I watched the building with TK1636 about 5 or 6 times prior and yes that helped a lot when I got mine. I even went back watched them as I was building.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Which video? I watched the building with TK1636 about 5 or 6 times prior and yes that helped a lot when I got mine. I even went back watched them as I was building.

It was this one:

Do you have a link for the one you watched?

Cheers,
Ahmed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was this one:

Cheers,
Ahmed

These are the ones I watched. Some parts of this series you can ignore because this is an earlier version of the kit than you have.

When I did my Anovos build I never really found that the ABS used snapped well, even with 5-6 passes with a sharp blade.  It often tore or would do weird things.  For the thicker, straighter parts it worked okay but for the rest just stick with the lexan scissors and accept your hand is going to hurt!

• Like 1

When I did my Anovos build I never really found that the ABS used snapped well, even with 5-6 passes with a sharp blade.  It often tore or would do weird things.  For the thicker, straighter parts it worked okay but for the rest just stick with the lexan scissors and accept your hand is going to hurt!
I didn't have that issue when doing mine, but there were a few pieces that were a bit stubborn.

3 hours ago, aghoneim said:

Sounds like he’s a PRO :) I did the score on my first build but switched to cutting with a tin snips on the rest (on the 6th now) as I found that to be better, even for the straight cuts. 

When it comes to building armor just find a way that’s works for you, everyone has their prefered way:salute:

Edited by TheSwede

15 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

Sounds like he’s a PRO :) I did the score on my first build but switched to cutting with a tin snips on the rest (on the 6th now) as I found that to be better, even for the straight cuts. 

When it comes to building armor just find a way that’s works for you, everyone has their prefered way:salute:

Precisely Dan. What works for some doesn't for others.

• Like 1

It was this one:

Cheers,
Ahmed

Blimey!! That looks like an accident waiting to happen! Lol
I did my build with a trusty pair or Lexan Scissors. Gives a lot of control. The only places I used score and snap was the visible straight edges, such as the coverstrips, ammo belt, ab buttons etc.
Each to their own, though. It clearly worked for the guy in the video. :-)
  • Like 1

I like the idea of tin snips ... I hadn't considered those. 

7 minutes ago, CableGuy said:

Blimey!! That looks like an accident waiting to happen! Lol

You know - I thought it looked kind of dangerous, but figured that must be how everyone is doing it! ... Oh well, I'm new at this :D

• Like 1

I like the idea of tin snips ... I hadn't considered those. 

You know - I thought it looked kind of dangerous, but figured that must be how everyone is doing it! ... Oh well, I'm new at this 

Haha. No worries. Here’s an alternative method. This is my armour maker’s videos, mainly using lexan scissors.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt_lWzaSmADNiCC8TkZyfwg

No right or wrong - just whichever one suits you better. :-)

1 minute ago, CableGuy said:

Haha. No worries. Here’s an alternative method. This is my armour maker’s videos, mainly using lexan scissors.

No right or wrong - just whichever one suits you better. :-)

This is great! I'll take a closer look when I get some time. Thanks!

• Like 1

While I continue working on trimming (it’s slow going for me) ... anyone know how to connect with 501st members in Toronto area?

I’ve been reading about build parties and am wondering if there any any ... *fingers crossed!*

1 hour ago, CableGuy said:

Hiya. 

Have you signed up with the Canadian Garrison? They might have more regional zones within the forum, covering armour parties etc.  :)

Oh - I did not realize I should have signed up within their own forum. :huh:

I'll do that now. Thanks Dan!

• Like 1

Quick update. 

Trimming still going slowly - completed shoulder bells and thighs. Still have a bunch more to go! I've decided to leave the chest for last as that's one piece I'd like to be most practiced for. Also, the videos from TK1636 helped a lot! (I particularly liked how he went over trimming the chest piece and not following the cut lines as they were too thin.)

Also, TK Boots arrived! They look awesome  :D

tkboots.jpg

• Like 1

Quick update. 

Trimming still going slowly - completed shoulder bells and thighs. Still have a bunch more to go! I've decided to leave the chest for last as that's one piece I'd like to be most practiced for. Also, the videos from TK1636 helped a lot! (I particularly liked how he went over trimming the chest piece and not following the cut lines as they were too thin.)

Also, TK Boots arrived! They look awesome  

tkboots.jpg&key=1d34fdfc1f190a350afa4e4ef81e78864522bcfe8ce6dd9eda607f7fc092aade

Yeah Mikes video were a huge help for me as well.

• Like 1

Next update, trimming all done. I have to say trimming chest, thighs, and back plate, went far smoother after using a combination of score & snap and lexan scissors. No complaints from me on those pieces!

Moving on to pre-assembly for the forearms, and starting with the left one. I have to say, I'm a little confused and not really sure where to begin or how to tackle them. They feel big on me and I have a lot of space between my arm and the plastic:

left_forearm.png

I understand that we want to work with 5-7mm between me and the armor, but this feels like a lot to trim off. Any recommendations? 

Also, the forearm piece looks really long when bending my arm: 

IMG_7240.jpg

Based on my limited knowledge, measure and then trim these areas? (see lines in red below)

IMG_7242.jpg

Yeah you can take a little more of the return edge off. The length seems about right and yes you would trim those those lines but not the length. If that makes sense to you?

Yeah you can take a little more of the return edge off. The length seems about right and yes you would trim those those lines but not the length. If that makes sense to you?

That makes sense - I’ll start trimming from those two lines and see how the fit feels from

there. Thanks!

• Like 1

Another question on this - just to make sure I understand what's needed before doing any cutting.

If I try to center my forearm within the armor, I get about a finger's width gap around the circumference of my arm. Which is like ~1.5cmm. Is that enough? 

Here's a few pics of my Q's: 

left_elbow.png

*edge

(Granted I'm doing this without the undersuit, but I think I have a lot of space here. Also, the perspective is a little off in the image for the measurements. It's hard to make my arm look even in the armor without attaching anything first...)

left_wrist.png

(I haven't trimmed off the wrist return edge, so I think I'll have even more space once I do so.)

Any advice is very much appreciated! :)

Edited by aghoneim

12 minutes ago, aghoneim said:

Any advice is very much appreciated! :)

Edited 10 minutes ago by aghoneim

Remove the return at the wrist completely then size that up so that you just barely can get your hand through would be my advise, the elbow end can be a bit looser:salute:

• Like 1

Another question on this - just to make sure I understand what's needed before doing any cutting.

If I try to center my forearm within the armor, I get about a finger's width gap around the circumference of my arm. Which is like ~1.5cmm. Is that enough? 

Here's a few pics of my Q's: 

left_elbow.png&key=3838bb3a8cabba98d8a547f332e087c6c4dac9d77e8b2f24b1fac192eb82fbe6
*edge

(Granted I'm doing this without the undersuit, but I think I have a lot of space here. Also, the perspective is a little off in the image for the measurements. It's hard to make my arm look even in the armor without attaching anything first...)

left_wrist.png&key=5df24a9f68bfc8d78051dfc625835a2c9e297661128503fdfb7a1e0165a1f777
(I haven't trimmed off the wrist return edge, so I think I'll have even more space once I do so.)

Any advice is very much appreciated! 
Correct. However you also want to trim down a lot of that return edge on the outside as well. I think I only left about 3mm of return edge on most of my limbs.