aghoneim's ANOVOS TK - 1st build

aghoneim

Hi everyone!

It's been a long time coming - the infamous brown box from ANOVOS has finally arrived! Like most people here, the wait for me was also a year ... (whatever, still worth it!)

Here's the kit unboxed, with the soft goods still all wrapped up:

unboxed.png

I've been following a number of build threads over the years, and the plan for my build is as follows:

1. Religiously follow ukswrath's build thread
    • Aiming for L3 - but as this is my first time, I'm happy to see where I'll end up.
  2. Complete build with other items:
    • TK Boots
    • Silicone hand guards
    • Doopy Doo's E-11 blaster kit + T-Jay's completion set

I think those are the major points? ... That's all for now - first step trimming!

Thanks,

Ahmed

• Like 1

Thanks! Hopefully that's the case  :)

I'm appreciating the fine art that trimming ABS plastic is. Or rather the patience that's required. 

Went too far with scoring the front of the right forearm:

front_R_forearm.jpg

Did a bit better with the back side:

back_R_forearm.jpg

Hopefully nothing a little sanding won't fix once I get to fitting.

25 minutes ago, aghoneim said:

Thanks! Hopefully that's the case  :)

I'm appreciating the fine art that trimming ABS plastic is. Or rather the patience that's required. 

Went too far with scoring the front of the right forearm:

front_R_forearm.jpg

Did a bit better with the back side:

back_R_forearm.jpg

Hopefully nothing a little sanding won't fix once I get to fitting.

Is the first pic showing the wrist end? If so that should be completely removed, much more comfortable AND as a bonus a Centurion requriment:duim:

2 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

Is the first pic showing the wrist end? If so that should be completely removed, much more comfortable AND as a bonus a Centurion requriment:duim:

Yes, that's the wrist end ... and that would make sense to cut more. For cutting outside of the provided cut lines, what's a good technique for that? I'm doing the score and snap technique, but I worry my heavy hand will let that Exacto knife scratch/cut more than I want.

Thanks Daniel!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aghoneim said:

Yes, that's the wrist end ... and that would make sense to cut more. For cutting outside of the provided cut lines, what's a good technique for that? I'm doing the score and snap technique, but I worry my heavy hand will let that Exacto knife scratch/cut more than I want.

Thanks Daniel!

You can cut from the inside, or use a tin snip or lexan scissors and here`s a Canon pic for reference (the RS suit):salute:

GA8KQar.jpg

• Like 2

Also a tip I got during my build and one I seen reflected in many was that a 5mm or less return edge is ideal. Just an idea, but I found the less I had the more comfortable it was.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

You can remove all the return edge on the fore arms and biceps if it's going to make it more comfy to wear.

As you can see in the images above, the screen used armour had no return edges on many of the parts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rat said:

Also a tip I got during my build and one I seen reflected in many was that a 5mm or less return edge is ideal. Just an idea, but I found the less I had the more comfortable it was.

Thanks for the tip! Looks like the return edge after cutting from the pre-made cut line made by ANOVOS leaves about 5mm or more. Once I get to fitting, I imagine I'll need to get more off.

Also, on the note of cut lines, they seem to fade out quite a bit at times. Here's an example of a corner from the left inner bicep:

left_bicept.jpg

In this case, i just decided to cut a bigger edge - I couldn't really think of anything else that could be done. Safer to cut big, and then sand down later right? 

I have the same kit and yeah I noticed that as well with the cut lines. I followed them the best I could. Then again in the end I trimmed them even smaller.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sly11 said:

You can remove all the return edge on the fore arms and biceps if it's going to make it more comfy to wear.

As you can see in the images above, the screen used armour had no return edges on many of the parts.

19 minutes ago, Rat said:

I have the same kit and yeah I noticed that as well with the cut lines. I followed them the best I could. Then again in the end I trimmed them even smaller.

I think in my inexperience, I'm more likely to be worried about what portions of the excess that I'm cutting. With the faded cut lines, and my heavy hand, I worry that I may cut too much. Having said that, from what you both have mentioned, I can expect to trim more for comfort, and for screen accuracy. 

Cheers!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, aghoneim said:

Oh yeah - that's trimmed down. Very helpful, thanks! 

I know they are different parts, but that's about as universal as I did my whole kit.B)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aghoneim said:

Today's update: 

Trimmed the shims: 

Left:

Left_shins.jpg

Right:

Right_shins.jpg

They seem to snap off much easier than forearms and biceps ... 

On another note: ordered my TK boots! 

Unless I'm wrong and Tony might correct this I think you have them mixed up. Mine were missing their stickers, but I believe the correct pairing is 24-27 and 25-28.

Unless I'm wrong and Tony might correct this I think you have them mixed up. Mine were missing their stickers, but I believe the correct pairing is 24-27 and 25-28.

Oh right! Tony did write that in his build thread...

Yeah, I’ll have to check that. Thanks for the reminder!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, aghoneim said:

Oh right! Tony did write that in his build thread...

Yeah, I’ll have to check that. Thanks for the reminder!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah no problem, I think they're mis-labelled. I just remember that the outside piece should have the longer swoop at the ankle.

Trimmed the Ab plate:

image.jpg

but not too happy with the "snap" part of the process:

Ab_badsnap.jpg

I'm also hoping the return edge of the Ab plate will be trimmed down... or at least parts of it? *fingers crossed*

Edited by aghoneim

That is reassuring! :duim:

I think I'm getting a little bit better at the score and snap technique .. Just completed trimming the posterior as well, and no complaints from me this time! 

posterior.jpg

On the note of the score and snap technique: Now that I'm spending more time doing this ... and getting used to it.  I feel like it helps to lightly trace first, then re-trace much harder a second time, then start snapping ... But I seem to have 2 issues, 1) my hand getting away from me/sliding when scoring, and 2) potentially snapping too hard. Any recommendations for making this easier?