BigCara's ANH TK AP Build

BigCara

Looks good, mate, but do you have your boots? It’s best to measure your shins wearing boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep will take another photo with boots once I swap things around

After yesterday’s armour party where I was given many good tips I spent the afternoon trimming the fronts of my thighs so they are only just wide than the 20mm cover strip. And making the cover strips.

Had a bit of an issue with the right thigh after getting ahead of myself but think I’ve managed to salvage it.

Will probably need shims on the back of the thighs though, hoping to avoid it.

Have spent 2 hrs trying to align the sniper knee. This seems to be the best I can get but it’s crooked, will need some tips. Of course it fits perfectly on the right!

1d5e0b311617013de46b2945fd8a2870.jpg&key=0cb4d8e8736b941af7d182d26722c19b23022bce079335fc9ecb3714c2ed9b57b30656b9ad1c8e5d1ecf2351184d2fb0.jpg&key=91317fbb449862e3ee91c1399ab6deeff976086b0d063745ef4e58d36c834a6fd5b82bee3f196e2d8d1386f99e1320b4.jpg&key=68daae21c7736f525713e4a6c480ef39040c78f5f591f1c26dd7abd5e673f3cf

Looks good, Mark.

The sniper plate can be tricky.

Re the thigh, are the 2 sides aligned at the bottom? Don’t forget to remove some of that return edge before doing to final sizing at the rear - although as we said you’ll probably need to shim, at very least near the rear top.

Looks good, Mark.

The sniper plate can be tricky.

Re the thigh, are the 2 sides aligned at the bottom? Don’t forget to remove some of that return edge before doing to final sizing at the rear - although as we said you’ll probably need to shim, at very least near the rear top.

Yep aligned nicely at the bottom. Still gotta take return edges off, including at the bottom. Got space in the lower thigh to taper it. Is it possible to only have a shim showing near the upper thigh? Anyone got any good reference pics?

Nice work, in regards to shims if I'm understanding right, any shims should not be seen ie: fill any gaps with ABS paste, sand and polish. 

• Like 1

Nice work, in regards to shims if I'm understanding right, any shims should not be seen ie: fill any gaps with ABS paste, sand and polish. 

Thanks for the clarification, saw some photos online where you could clearly see them, kinda expected it wouldn’t meet centurion standard which I’m trying for.

I’ll add, read up on abs paste, to my ever increasing too do list.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Been a long time between posts, have just finished my 4th degree and now have some time to finally finish my kit, hopefully before the 2 yr mark kicks in. As going for centurion and being a perfectionist won't be done in a week, going to be a bit more systematic rather than jump between pieces like I have been doing previously.

I bought a lexan welding face shield and cut it up for lenses, see photos below.

Was thinking of pulling the helmet apart so I can get them in perfectly, fixed with sugru. Then reassemble with some rivets instead of some of the hidden screws. Any thoughts on this approach?ca486d55da1cf42403d04e9b432fa3e6.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hey, welcome back!
Sometimes stepping away for a while is the right thing to do, but glad you're back into it again.

• Like 2

Have had lots of trouble securing the individual lenses as they want to pop up flat and the sugru doesn't appear to want to set as the temp here is pretty cold. The sugru doesn't also appear to like adhering to the plastic.

Have cut a larger piece that spans the two eye sockets and it seems to like sitting in there following the shape of the helmet.

Have used some Apoxie modelling compound to beef up the inside so I can get a larger surface area to bond too.

See how it goes after 24hrs drying time.0f0feb71e6e6d90368deca8233fc3ad7.jpg

Problem is on the outside, the glue ran and dissolved some of the lenses color into the excess glue which made contact with the white default_sad.png now it looks crap!

Had a test piece that it happened too which cleaned up easily with some sandpaper.

Should I use 1200 grit or go for something finer as need to get the green stain out and clean up the lense scratches

dbe1441a85416577ad6d397803b9d1c2.jpg&key=505d1986b9516442ff95b23377bb5242e11d3b25264edc99883980483df545ab

• Like 1