Armor and bucket color not matching.

Dmorja

Hello, I was able to purchase an Anovos HWT armor over the weekend. Which I am super excited about. However my bucket is newer and a brighter white while the armor is an older off white. What is the best process to get them to match?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Are you planning to stay HWT? Those can take some weathering so you could dirty up the bucket a bit to match.

Otherwise if you plan to convert the HWT to a clean TK you could paint it or try a product called retrobright if the plastic has yellowed, but you'll need quite a bit (meant for for LEGO, old consoles, PC cases etc., not so much full-body armor) and there is some elbow grease required.

Or... Live with it. I am getting a Hero bucket for my Anovos TK and I'm resigned that the plastics wont match 100%.

Edited by Harbinger
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dmorja said:

Thanks, I can dirty the bucket a bit and I don't mind living with it but I am concerned it will not pass approval with the two colors

Depends on how much of a contrast between the two, shouldn`t be a problem but hard to tell before seeing it:)

Really a question for your GML (garrison membership liaison) as it is he/she who will ultimately be looking over your costume application. Colouring should match but depends on just how much different they look, perhaps posting a photo would help us ;) 

17 hours ago, TheSwede said:

Depends on how much of a contrast between the two, shouldn`t be a problem but hard to tell before seeing it:)

Yeah, and photos are tough as some things really stand out in a photo but are hard to tell in person, and vice versa.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, I bought the armor from my GML. Here is a photo of the armor and the bucket I am working on. I was originally going to build an ESB TK, so I know I will need to repaint the teeth gray.2c95bd07c2ed1b24b17aa07d8fcea985.jpg

That is a big colour difference, could also be from aging, some ABS discolours over time depending on what type and also if it's been out in the sun.

Personally as a GML I wouldn't be able to approve it, I would suggest either looking for a helmet closer to the colour of the armor or last resort trying to paint the helmet to match the armor.

Original helmets where painted so it would be screen accurate ;) 

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Decided to try and whiten the armor. The previous owner used abs paste for the joints but did not sand, so I started the sanding process. Going to look for a hand held sander this weekend to possibly speed up the process c332f36015e8a43615d562139c841060.jpg

Ouch, you will need to hand sand for the final bits, the abs paste tends to melt with mechanical sanders. You can also use wet and dry sandpaper and sand wet (add a little dish washing liquid), the paper will last longer and not get as clogged. After getting the rough areas sanded with a 120 dry, I then continue with 240 grit, then 400, 600 and 1200 or ultrafine 2000, then it's a case of using cutting compound to bring back the shine. You can find though that the colouring may be off, the paste can change colour with the addition of acetone. Really it's a hit and miss trial to get the right paint color, having a small airbrush helps as you can tint the paint different shades depending on the armor color.

Good luck, there's a lot of work in front of you :blink:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Realized I had not posted in a about a year, so here is an update and some progress photos. I tried everything including bleach and could not get the armour white to match the helmet. I am not a gifted painter so I finally found a helmet that matched. The problem was it was too small for me. It was just the opening so I dremeled it down enough to get my head in. Now that I have some photos, I can see I am getting closer but still have a lot of work. The calves are too big so I will need to redo those. The ammo pouch isn't staying in place on the shoulder, and I need to make a lot of little adjustments to the fit. Always looking for other suggestions. f11b76450f0877ced62491c1baec201f.jpg260f203811a664f79bdadfd5705f029c.jpgebddef3333944c79c970e56a30e2be20.jpg595cc9891c2af60be4ccc49bd88f027d.jpg800d0d9710b50737b5bafb6392187498.jpga21cbbbe32aa799fe71b1674b1fd73c3.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Finally come back to this trooper. It looks like the control has been updated. Still have work to do. Took some quick photos for a test fit.
12d6ebc597c9f85d5e07119d9575fef6.jpg36a071282d3db7abae70cf675d248e60.jpga2751daebbd4f7e626ac0c5864fc38da.jpgc881342ad6f82ed6c893ae333d0492e0.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Glad to see you back at it, Jason! Just a quick note since some HWT standards have changed since 2018/2019... I think you'll need to remove the antenna from your pack for approval, as the CRL currently states "No video monitors, extra greeblies. lights of any sort or attachments not seen in photos can be visible."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations trooper and welcome to the ranks, you can request higher TK access here 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 10:37 AM, AradunFF said:

Congrats Jason!

21 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Congratulations trooper and welcome to the ranks, you can request higher TK access here 

21 hours ago, TKSpartan said:

Congratulations Trooper !! :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

Thank you!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...