Echostatic's RS ANH Stunt build

So...The RS suit is cast from an original suit so it can`t get any closer to the Movie Troopers than that and as it may look a bit wierd when laying or holding it, it will fall in line when you wear it. As we all are a bit different in tearms of body composition, at the same height one can have longer legs and the other has a longer torso so the fit of the suit will also differ as the modifications one needs. Those corners however are not something anyone should cut. Pic shows the RS suit (screen used) and the corners are intact. I´ll include some more and you will also see how they should go together. Back plate centers to the kidney and kidney and butt alligns with that resessed molding that goes full lenght on the kidney and transfers onto the butt plate. The strapping was repaired during filming so that`s way they go straight threw the face of the armor - although one can argue it`s screen accurate it`s not something to replicate for approval. On the following pics you can also see were the brackets was originally installed (in the return edge) and that is what you replicate:duim:

1Dbtq3T.jpg

5K7jCn7.jpg

IIcrarH.jpg

LTg8tWd.jpg

Jz0E3bE.jpg

Pis below is from the Lucas archives and here one can see that when strapped together the back (top) will tilt backwards making the edges alligne.

sRvoCss.jpg

This is how awesome you will look when you wear it:)

EHu1Gcf.jpg

3wxRzhF.jpg

Back to fitting: when you put the back pieces together you can test how it sits on your body, backplate up nice and high on your shoulders (as seen on pics provided) and posterior plate (butt)...well….on your butt and not hanging to low, it beeing to high is unlikely beeing 5`9 but we`ll see. Or you can go ahead and tape the ab plate to the kidney to one side, you line the top of the ab with the top of the kidney. Then you put it on and tape it shut butting the sides together with no overlap. this will help you see how much room there will be. If going with the ab plate on the get go you use that to help get things were it should be and the ab or more the cod (lower part of ab) should sit close to your privates, basicly as high as you can get it. This should get you started, post some pics when you have it on your body and everyone will be happy to assist:salute:

• Like 2

Alright folks, I made a hardware store run today. Got metal wire, screws and nuts for making torso brackets, and although I didn't find gaffer tape, I did pick up a roll of 3m no residue tape and I'm pretty impressed with it. I taped the chest plate, ab plate, back plate, kidney plate and butt plate together and took some photos.

LdmrDOO.jpg

dtnzyn0.jpg

NWnFAyT.jpg

yUTi6yQ.jpg

yHmON2E.jpg

XFzqrZn.jpg

The thing that was immediately obvious to me was that, given my toothpick-like build, the butt plate and kidney plate are too wide. (The ab plate seems to fit me fine in the front though.) I thought I could either trim it down, or use heat to curve it in more. The problem with using heat, though, is that I'm already getting overlap at the kidney plate and ab plate. If I bend it in, the overlap will get worse. I've never done this before so I may be wrong, but I'm thinking it's going to have to trim down (along with some heat bending as well?) That's going to cost me my kidney plate notches, though.

I also later noticed that the tape on my back spells "tit". That was a fun coincidence.

Edited by Echostatic

Yes, I would heat bend (using a hot water bath) the kidney and butt plate inwards a bit. There are several options for joining the ab and kidney. I used a sort of tab system which lcoks the pieces together and keeps them aligned and prevent any overlap. Would also suggest that you may want to bend the but plate a bit where it goes between your legs as it's pointing down a lot on you.

34 minutes ago, lucnak said:

Yes, I would heat bend (using a hot water bath) the kidney and butt plate inwards a bit. There are several options for joining the ab and kidney. I used a sort of tab system which lcoks the pieces together and keeps them aligned and prevent any overlap. Would also suggest that you may want to bend the but plate a bit where it goes between your legs as it's pointing down a lot on you.

Do you have any photos of the tab system you used? I’m concerned that without any trimming, the torso will still be too big on me and look wrong. As for the butt plate, I’m thinking it might look better once it’s strapped into place, it’s just hanging loose right now. 

Are there any guides on ABS bending with a hot water bath? I can see plenty of posts talking about baths, but no guides on actually doing it. I'd hate to wing it and screw this up.
Basically it's just boiling water and then using tongs to submerge the part for 15 seconds or so and then pull it out, shape and run it under cold water to set the shape.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Take your time and don't heat up too much, it can become too pliable and can be get misshaped easily if left in for too long.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the hot water bath treatment on the butt and kidney plate and bent them in a bit. It was tricky as they were both far too large to fully submerge in the large pot I was using. I ended up taking some rope and tying it around the pieces, pulling it tight to hold the pieces bent inwards. I dipped one end in at a time. I had some success with it, they're curved in a bit more than before. The butt plate might need to go a little bit further maybe.

Before

kB8133s.jpg

After

txcb5cq.jpg

eaJdFb1.jpg

4TmnOzf.jpg

It's progress, at any rate. In other news, I got an email from RS Propmasters, they tried to ship my missing helmet pieces but apparently the package came back with a "return to sender" sticker on it. It was shipped to the same address as the last one, so no idea what that's all about. Looks like my helmet will be delayed further. I did get a lot of other pieces like an undersuit, neck seal, holster, cloth belt, and gloves. I've got boots on order... Still need to order snaps, rivets, rivet installer tool thingy, and elastic. And I think I need to learn how to sew. Oh and a blaster. I'll be needing one of those at some point. This is not a cheap hobby!

Edited by Echostatic
  • Like 2

Andrew your waist belt will naturally squeeze down the Ab and Kidney. If the posterior is sufficiently connected to the kidney it should follow suit. 

Keep up the good work :duim: 

• 2 months later...

Nice update :laugh1:

When you are ready to go perhaps post some pics in the pre approval section for feedback ;) 

With the basic build finished, I'm struggling with the voice. I'm using the 10w Aker amp/mic and TrooperTalk. It sounds good, but even with my phone and amp volumes nearly maxed, my natural voice can still be heard over the amp somewhat. If anyone has any ideas for what to do to dampen my voice, possibly some sort of helmet insulation or something, I'm all ears.

Edited by Echostatic

9 hours ago, Echostatic said:

With the basic build finished, I'm struggling with the voice. I'm using the 10w Aker amp/mic and TrooperTalk. It sounds good, but even with my phone and amp volumes nearly maxed, my natural voice can still be heard over the amp somewhat. If anyone has any ideas for what to do to dampen my voice, possibly some sort of helmet insulation or something, I'm all ears.

you need a bigger amp, also you can put foam "door trim" insulation in the helmet. you can get it in rolls from home depot and it has a sticky back. basically the entire interior of my helmet is lined with it to help with feedback

10 hours ago, Echostatic said:

A 10w amp is pretty powerful, most Aker amps are that with nobody concerned about loudness.  Sounds like there may be an issue with the volume  to the amp or maybe the mic placement. 

10 hours ago, ukswrath said:

A 10w amp is pretty powerful, most Aker amps are that with nobody concerned about loudness.  Sounds like there may be an issue with the volume  to the amp or maybe the mic placement. 

The mic is just about brushing my lips, I've got the direction right too. I'm using the recommended ALZO splitter cable. The amp is pretty loud, my voice is just easily heard for some reason.

22 hours ago, Echostatic said:

The mic is just about brushing my lips, I've got the direction right too. I'm using the recommended ALZO splitter cable. The amp is pretty loud, my voice is just easily heard for some reason.

You may have a naturally louder voice. Nothing wrong with that but coupled with the helmet interior that echoes, what can you do. There may be some a solution not tried yet, what system do you have? 

5 hours ago, ukswrath said:

You may have a naturally louder voice. Nothing wrong with that but coupled with the helmet interior that echoes, what can you do. There may be some a solution not tried yet, what system do you have? 

What system? Aker 10w amp and TrooperTalk, if that's what you're asking. I'm wondering if lining my helmet with something like this would make a difference.

Edited by Echostatic

Not sure never used it.

The Aker 10w can be considerably loud at the higher volume settings, I mean you shouldn't have any issues drowning out your natural voice. Did someone tell you that your amplification system is too weak or is this self diagnosis? Just curious

12 hours ago, ukswrath said:

Not sure never used it.

The Aker 10w can be considerably loud at the higher volume settings, I mean you shouldn't have any issues drowning out your natural voice. Did someone tell you that your amplification system is too weak or is this self diagnosis? Just curious

Listening to myself recorded on my GoPro, and asking my brother to listen to me as well. He said he could make out my voice over the amp from across his bedroom.

2 minutes ago, Echostatic said:

Listening to myself recorded on my GoPro, and asking my brother to listen to me as well. He said he could make out my voice over the amp from across his bedroom.

I'm stumped. With the amp you're using you should have no problem drowning out your natural voice. Maybe a more sensitive microphone? I don't know, I wish I had a better answer for you sorry.