Trooper Spreadsheet?

Axeman

Is there anyone with a spreadsheet or something like it that lists the various similarities and differences between the various classic TK armours??

Like side by side comparisons??

I honestly am unsure of the changes between ANH, ESB, and ROTJ.

This may make build choice a bit easier to visualize.  

• Like 2

I was unaware of the differences when I started too. I found out after purchasing my first armor, which was FX and different from all three originals. 

...Most kits for sale are based on the ANH stunt trooper. 

Also, I dig your avatar! WWG1WGA

There is lots more reference now than when I started; Then we had VCR and movie stills. 

The Original Trilogy Visual Dictionary has long been one of our greatest resources.  You can still get them on Amazon.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TK4205 said:

There is lots more reference now than when I started; Then we had VCR and movie stills. 

The Original Trilogy Visual Dictionary has long been one of our greatest resources.  You can still get them on Amazon.

Didnt know such a thing existed!!  I'll have to look it up!  Maybe make my own spreadsheet someday.  

• Like 1

This is not a complete listing, but here are the big differences. Using ANH Stunt as the "default" as it's overwhelmingly the most common TK configuration.

ESB:

• Black frown
  • Handplates are different
  • Holster on right side with loops, not screws

RotJ:

• Kidney and butt plate must be one piece (this limits you in vendors)
  • U-shaped gasket around chest, ab/cod, back, kidney/butt plates
  • Black frown, oversprayed onto "gums"
  • Hoslter on right side with screws
  • Big ab button plate is upside down
  • Shoulder bells sit a bit further off of biceps
  • Handplates are different

Yup, basically if we start off with the ANH stunt, the hero is basically just a separate helmet and additional rivets to hold the holster in place.  EBS is also a different helmet, different holster, blaster, and hand guards.  You can look at the CRLs that are online easily enough.

ROTJ is a very different beast!

I was “they all look the same”.... but trust me when I say, the more I studied the vids, pix, & reading up in them, I CAN TELL THEM APART !!! Anyway, good luck in your build any questions... ASK & POST PIX !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TK 71627 said:

I was “they all look the same”.... but trust me when I say, the more I studied the vids, pix, & reading up in them, I CAN TELL THEM APART !!! Anyway, good luck in your build any questions... ASK & POST PIX !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll get there eventually!!

• Like 3

Actually, there are 18 costumes that are under our "jurisdiction" Mike.  The best way to study the differences (as Paul mentioned) is to take a look at each individual CRL (Costume Reference Library) here:  http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:FISD_CRL  This will give you a lot more details on each one to help you make your decision.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, justjoseph63 said:

Actually, there are 18 costumes that are under our "jurisdiction" Mike.  The best way to study the differences (as Paul mentioned) is to take a look at each individual CRL (Costume Reference Library) here:  http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:FISD_CRL  This will give you a lot more details on each one to help you make your decision.

Awesome!!!  Ty for the reference!!

I can help you with the differences between ANH and ESB (but don't ask me the difference between ANH Stunt and Hero, because I still don't really know):

These are based on Centurion, because that's what I did, rather than basic to basic, and my knowledge of ANH is primarily Hero:

Helmet:

ESB frown is black, ANH is gray

ESB tears, tube stripes, etc., are decals, and not hand-painted look decals, specific ESB details for color/type, the blue on the tube stripes is specific ESB Blue; ANH is hand-painted or hand-painted look decals (the rank bars on the ears are painted on both because there aren't decals for those)

ESB Tube stripes should be 13 per side, but 9 - 16 is acceptable, ANH has 11 - 13 per side, but 9 - 16 is also acceptable.  

ESB lenses can be green or gray (smoke), and are flat; ANH are green or gray (smoke), and can be flat or bubbled- I do know bubble only for EIB Hero (someone chime in who knows more re Hero/Stunt for details)

ESB has 2 - 3 ear bumps (rank stripes) in black, ANH has one

ESB has 6 - 8 teeth cut out of the frown, ANH has six.  

Armor:

ESB hand guards are the same as Snowie (Snowtrooper) hand guards, commonly called "clamshell", ANH are triangular.  ESB can be attached with an elastic strip around the palm over rubber chemical gloves, or via a five point star pattern sewn onto black satin gloves.  ANH are either hard plastic attached with elastic or flexible latex stuck directly to the glove.  

Misc:

ESB holster is solid black, loops around the belt and is worn on the right, ANH is black and tan, riveted onto the belt, and worn on the left

ESB E-11 is "paired down" compared to ANH, it lacks an ammo counter most noticeably.  There's two versions of ESB, promo and regular, to be honest I'm not familiar with the differences.  

As to ROTJ... the boot soles are white, the kidney and butt plate are one piece (not separate like ANH and ESB), they wear Snowie/ESB handguards, and I think there's a trim on the chest and back plates, and maybe the ab, too.  That's the limit of my knowledge on that.  

I tell my new handlers the easy way to tell my TK apart from the others at at event is to look for a black frown.  But is is surprising how quickly you can tell each other apart even in armor.  Once all variations looked the same, now they're glaringly different, once every TK at an event looked just about the same, then suddenly they were obviously the individuals wearing the armor.  

Edited by sharkbait

1 hour ago, sharkbait said:

I can help you with the differences between ANH and ESB (but don't ask me the difference between ANH Stunt and Hero, because I still don't really know):

These are based on Centurion, because that's what I did, rather than basic to basic, and my knowledge of ANH is primarily Hero:

Helmet:

ESB frown is black, ANH is gray

ESB tears, tube stripes, etc., are decals, and not hand-painted look decals, specific ESB details for color/type, the blue on the tube stripes is specific ESB Blue; ANH is hand-painted or hand-painted look decals (the rank bars on the ears are painted on both because there aren't decals for those)

ESB Tube stripes should be 13 per side, but 9 - 16 is acceptable, ANH has 11 - 13 per side, but 9 - 16 is also acceptable.  

ESB lenses can be green or gray (smoke), and are flat; ANH are green or gray (smoke), and can be flat or bubbled- I do know bubble only for EIB Hero (someone chime in who knows more re Hero/Stunt for details)

ESB has 2 - 3 ear bumps (rank stripes) in black, ANH has one

ESB has 6 - 8 teeth cut out of the frown, ANH has six.  

Armor:

ESB hand guards are the same as Snowie (Snowtrooper) hand guards, commonly called "clamshell", ANH are triangular.  ESB can be attached with an elastic strip around the palm over rubber chemical gloves, or via a five point star pattern sewn onto black satin gloves.  ANH are either hard plastic attached with elastic or flexible latex stuck directly to the glove.  

Misc:

ESB holster is solid black, loops around the belt and is worn on the right, ANH is black and tan, riveted onto the belt, and worn on the left

ESB E-11 is "paired down" compared to ANH, it lacks an ammo counter most noticeably.  There's two versions of ESB, promo and regular, to be honest I'm not familiar with the differences.  

As to ROTJ... the boot soles are white, the kidney and butt plate are one piece (not separate like ANH and ESB), they wear Snowie/ESB handguards, and I think there's a trim on the chest and back plates, and maybe the ab, too.  That's the limit of my knowledge on that.  

I tell my new handlers the easy way to tell my TK apart from the others at at event is to look for a black frown.  But is is surprising how quickly you can tell each other apart even in armor.  Once all variations looked the same, now they're glaringly different, once every TK at an event looked just about the same, then suddenly they were obviously the individuals wearing the armor.  

Man that's awesome!!!! I'm probably gonna print it.  More and more I'm pushing away from ROTJ and Migrating towards ANH now!!!

This forum rocks! Lots of great info!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kacrut said:

Oooh, I forgot to tell you about this site
http://www.starwarshelmets.com/stormtrooper_helmets_armor_and_costumes.htm
Hope that help in some way.

mine...mine...mine...mine

Perfect!  Definitely leaning towards ANH hero for sure.  Now you settle on a kit.  

I'm 5'10, 200lbs.  34" waist.  Definitely going abs, nice n bright white!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Axeman said:

Man that's awesome!!!! I'm probably gonna print it.  More and more I'm pushing away from ROTJ and Migrating towards ANH now!!!

This forum rocks! Lots of great info!!!

The plan was to get you towards ESB!  :laugh1:  Just kidding- I just happen to partial to ESB.  Originally I was between ESB or ROTJ- I ditched ROTJ because I didn't want to paint my boot soles white and have to keep them that way.  To my knowledge since most kits are ANH derived, there's fewer ready options for ROTJ's one piece kidney and butt plate- I know there's at least one maker than offers that, but I'm not sure as to others.  A two piece could be modded to become one, it would just take an extra step.  ANH is by far the most popular option, so there's no shortage of help, parts, decals or paint options, etc.  Thankfully, ANH-S/ANH-H/ESB are so similar in base that you aren't locked in to only build threads of your model- you can really look at any of them for most of it, especially the base armor.  

Good luck!  Keep asking questions, keep checking these forums, and research, research, research!  You'll join the white armor ranks in no time!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sharkbait said:

The plan was to get you towards ESB!

Lol.  I've been swayed from ROTJ...

So dont get cocky!

Jk.  I've made my decision based on all the amazing and (other than YOU) unbiased information here!!

You guys are great.  If this is the level of help I get on a basic inquiry...I can only imagine the amount of help once I start building!!!!

Ty all

I always found this pic helpful in showing folks the differences in lids...(apologies for not crediting the maker)
As the ONLY non-ANH/S Imperial TK in my Garrison it's a handy visual aid to explain why my suit looks "crap"...it's supposed to!672f727d03c80ffe7b1478d60df61cfa.jpg

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 8/20/2018 at 5:10 PM, Axeman said:

Is there anyone with a spreadsheet or something like it that lists the various similarities and differences between the various classic TK armours??

Like side by side comparisons??

Alright... you inspired me.  I do love my spreadsheets:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xaRZxAlVwa327UFBSnwVS16tyRM5r9cU/view?usp=sharing

It's broken down into Basic, EIB, and Centurion.  OT only for now- maybe someday I'll get inspired to do one for the FOTKs, Rogue, and/or Solo, but that is not this day.  

Any questions or clarifications required on it, please let me know!  I will say the preview you get when you first click sucks, so look at it in Google Sheets or download it and view in Excel/OpenOffice, etc., for best viewing.  

I reviewed this 3+ times, but please feel free to double check me and make sure I didn't transpose a column or something.  There's a whole lot of info and a whole lot of little details.  

• Like 2

I always found this pic helpful in showing folks the differences in lids...(apologies for not crediting the maker)
As the ONLY non-ANH/S Imperial TK in my Garrison it's a handy visual aid to explain why my suit looks "crap"...it's supposed to!672f727d03c80ffe7b1478d60df61cfa.jpg&key=2d002d78f53bccecba45cb272f30423e5515c9dcf62e3b47e6dbfbb618da3b3f

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Hehe. Pleased to help, sir. :-)

4 hours ago, sharkbait said:

Alright... you inspired me.  I do love my spreadsheets

Sweeeeeeeeeet!!!!  You the man! 

Great reference I will be saving and printing! 

Heck...I may try n add some visual references as well.

Ty sir!  Above and beyond seems to be the theme of this group!