Painting Help!

So I'm finally beginning to see the end of my tk build, but I've ran into an issue. Because my build is HIPS I needed to paint it, but the rustoleum gloss white and clear coat gloss I'm using are just not shiny enough. they look more like a matte with some sparkles than a true shiny tk. I was wondering if there are any other spray paints that would do a better job. Thanks in advance!

-Eric

I've used Rustoleum on a clone build and came out really shiny, perhaps you have an old batch of paint, normally their gloss is very shinny.

After finding many of the cans of Rustoleum clog and not spray consistently I vowed never to use it again. Having sprayed a few cars in my time I prefer to use automotive paint, acrylic is very forgiving, dries quickly between coats and can be sanded and buffed/compounded to bring out a really deep shine. I used a standard auto acrylic paint for my FOTK, base coated and clear topcoats and very happy with how it turned out, didn't even need to buff it was shiny enough.

I've heard others have had success with Krylon paint, quite similar to Rustoleum.

• Like 1

I have heard nothing but good remarks about automotive paint!! There is a step by step of a guy who painted his whole suit in the exact same process as a car someplace on these forums, lemme see if I can find a link....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For my TIE, I used an automotive paint base (get an actual auto paint, not just a paint they sell at a auto parts store; regardless of what the sales guy says, learn from my mistakes), and an oil-based gloss (I used Varathane brand).  Turned out about as shiny as I've seen non-commercial applications.