Ravyn's ANH TK Build

RavynMaza

9 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Great news nothing better than a BBB, hope to see a build thread soon, good luck 

sorry but this is wrong, lol. Approval day is so much better than BBB, but BBB is a good second haha!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RavynMaza said:

Big Brown Box Day has finally arrived!  My ANOVOS armor finally delivered today - I ordered it in November 2017.  Couldn't resist putting on the helmet first. So super excited but also so nervous to cut anything!

IMG_1450_C.jpg

Stacy, welcome to the FISD and congrats on your armor arriving. Please keep up updated as much as possible, and use my motto of "ask before act" meaning ask questions, tons of them. even if you think you know what your doing, ask. this can help all of us by learning through teaching. we are going to get you approved trooper! good luck and remember, HAVE FUN!

Thanks for the well wishes everyone!  Don't worry, I will be sure to ask tons of questions.  You all have already made me feel more confident even though I haven't done anything so far, LOL.  :)

I did an inventory of all the armor pieces to make sure I had everything, and I found what I thought was a problem on the left bicep piece (#12 on the ANOVOS armor kit) - there's a dent in the middle of the bicep piece.  I thought it was a mold error or something - but then with more research found out that this "dent" is actually supposed to be there and is one of those fun "features" of the original TK.  BBB day is great, but you're right, I can't wait for approval day too!  This will be so much fun and so nerve-wracking all at once!  :)

This site and this group of people are so awesome to have all this knowledge, it was so easy to search for "Dent in left bicep" and immediately find an answer.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So after almost a month of basically trying to overcome my fear of doing anything and messing up, I finally got some time (and courage) today to work on the thermal detonator.  The gray tube was just as described in Ukswrath’s tutorial, just a bit oversize on the overall length.  I took a file to the edges and filed it down about 3/16” until it was close to level all the way around.  Then I did the very, very scary method of giving the end caps a boiling water bath and popping them on the ends of the tubes while they’re still warm.  (yes, that is my husband’s “Dark Side BBQ” oven mitt, being used to handle hot parts)

I was able to drill the holes pretty easily, install the metal clips, and paint the heads of the screws black per Centurion guidelines.  The only thing I didn’t do was glue on the control panel; my e6000 hadn’t arrived yet (I had to mail order it off of Amazon, since my local Lowe’s was out of stock).  I did tape the control panel in place so I could line up the clips.  I think so far it looks pretty good!

IMG_1522.JPG

IMG_1524.JPGIMG_1525.JPG

IMG_1527.JPG

Edited by RavynMaza
Changed order of pictures

My e6000 arrived, and I opened the tube for the first time and used it to glue on the control panel to the thermal detonator.  I hope this piece is done!  Now it’s just a matter of letting the glue set for a day or two and then putting the detonator away while I work on other things.

I also got out the Exacto knife and started trimming out parts.  I decided to start with the handguards, I figured they were fairly easy to start with since I was nervous about messing up.  I got them trimmed out without much going on, so hopefully I’m off to a good start – but I’m just happy about really getting started trimming parts!

IMG_1539.JPG

IMG_1542.JPG

Great to see you getting started Stacey. Just a reminder though, when using e-6000 make sure to roughen up both pieces you are gluing to give it bite for a solid bond.

• 2 weeks later...

So it’s slow going, working on cutting out pieces in the spare time between working around the house, family stuff, and working on Halloween costumes (this year my daughter will be Rainbow Dash from My Little Pony).  But I do have the right forearm cut out completely!  Just for fun I blue-taped it so I could put it on.  Of course it’s too big for my short arms but it’s neat to make progress, even if it is extremely slow.

IMG_1544.JPG

On 9/23/2018 at 8:31 PM, Rat said:

Great to see you getting started Stacey. Just a reminder though, when using e-6000 make sure to roughen up both pieces you are gluing to give it bite for a solid bond.

Thank you for the tip!  I admit I only roughed up one side (the gray tube side) on the thermal detonator panel when I glued it, I did not rough up the inside of the white plastic panel.  I'll definitely rough up both sides from here on out when I glue!

On 9/24/2018 at 7:43 PM, Ensi said:

That TD is looking fine! Before my ANH TK i'd never cut much plastic and can definitely relate, you'll get much more confident after a few parts :) 

Thank you!  I'm slowly gaining a bit of confidence - I'm sure with so many pieces to cut and trim, I'll get to where I don't even worry about it much.  But I'm still in the "stressful" phase for now.  :)

6 hours ago, RavynMaza said:

So it’s slow going, working on cutting out pieces in the spare time between working around the house, family stuff, and working on Halloween costumes (this year my daughter will be Rainbow Dash from My Little Pony).  But I do have the right forearm cut out completely!  Just for fun I blue-taped it so I could put it on.  Of course it’s too big for my short arms but it’s neat to make progress, even if it is extremely slow.

IMG_1544.JPG

Many of us short troopers cut the first notch (wrist side) off of the forearms. Totally approveable.

And I believe you should cut at the other trim line on the inner forearm unless that makes them too small.

• Like 2

Yes you can shorten from the writ end, otherwise, trim out all the return edge from that end first and then re-size as it can make a difference. No return edge equals screen accurate and Centurion lvl accurate :)

That Thermal Det looks fantastic so keep up the great work.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/4/2018 at 2:06 AM, shashachu said:

Many of us short troopers cut the first notch (wrist side) off of the forearms. Totally approveable.

And I believe you should cut at the other trim line on the inner forearm unless that makes them too small.

Thanks!  I cut at the first line just so I would make sure not to cut it too small.  I do agree that I think I need to go back and cut at the other trim line, and take a notch off the wrist side of the forearms.  I appreciate the advice! :)