bleedn21's Anovos ANH stunt Build Thread

bleedn21

Hi all,

Quick  (and hopefully hilarious) back story...  in 2012 I decided that I was going to make my lifelong dream of owning a fine set of realistic trooper armor a reality.  Being a fairly industrious and mechanically inclined sort, I figured that the best way to do this was the way the masters did it in the mid-70's!  I would build my own, sculpting each piece to a body cast of myself, and, having a set of master molds, would be able to have pieces well into infinity.  After one near-death experience and several pounds of putty, I had birthed...

STORMIN' NORMAN!!!

I know...  crazy idea; and expensive! After a hard look at reality I decided that a kit was the better and most economical way to go, so I ordered two form Anovos, waited the arbitrary year for shipping (what are they doing there?) and finally got the kits on Friday.

I got right to work on them last night and trimmed the first kit.

Last night's progress

I plan to trim the second today and begin fitting soon.

Happy to finally be on the road to trooping!

Edited by bleedn21
Embedding/links not working
  • Like 1

I am quite impressed by the Stormin Norman :laugh1:  Really great work on that!

You have yourself a great kit in the Anovos (now that you finally got it)!

Make sure to post lots of pictures and ask lots of questions!  We are all here to help!

Since your so handy as seen with Stormin Norman your going Centurion right?

2 hours ago, bleedn21 said:

Hi all,

Quick  (and hopefully hilarious) back story...  in 2012 I decided that I was going to make my lifelong dream of owning a fine set of realistic trooper armor a reality.  Being a fairly industrious and mechanically inclined sort, I figured that the best way to do this was the way the masters did it in the mid-70's!  I would build my own, sculpting each piece to a body cast of myself, and, having a set of master molds, would be able to have pieces well into infinity.  After one near-death experience and several pounds of putty, I had birthed...

STORMIN' NORMAN!!!

I know...  crazy idea; and expensive! After a hard look at reality I decided that a kit was the better and most economical way to go, so I ordered two form Anovos, waited the arbitrary year for shipping (what are they doing there?) and finally got the kits on Friday.

I got right to work on them last night and trimmed the first kit.

Last night's progress

I plan to trim the second today and begin fitting soon.

Happy to finally be on the road to trooping!

Hello and welcome! if you can, update your profile to show us where you are from. Often times this will lead to you being put in touch with someone that is close by and may be able to help you out in person! Also look to your local garrison to get in on some armor parties, and maybe even able to help out at events! Good luck and hold on, its a wild right

August 10th Progress (Wife's Suit) - Thighs, biceps, forearms

Hi all,

I've been following Ukswrath's Anovos build thread, and am working on all of the pieces that need to be glued together first.   Let me know about the pictures, I've checked the fit of all the pieces and they look to be fairly form-fitting without being too tight.  I am keeping the return edges in place - except for the bottoms of the forearms, and can trim them later for comfort.

Please let me know what you think of the progress thus far.  I think i have to rethink the bottom of the one thigh piece, I think y'all will know what I mean when you look at the pics.

J87qm1W.jpg

H5fLS3h.jpg

betMQXH.jpg

PVIHAvL.jpg

pH5bxjE.jpg

pH5bxjE.jpg

9zUHG69.jpg

G2gyy86.jpg

cTWRun2.jpg

eQcvniA.jpg

v9DtNV5.jpg

J4IKsMy.jpg

A9heSUz.jpg

HdgSQqT.jpg

Hope all is well with everyone out there!  Thanks again for all of your help!

Edited by bleedn21
Better post of imgur pictures
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, StrmTRPR85 said:

Did you test fit with all that return edge? I would remove more of that edge for comfort than test fit again.

I did do the test fit with the return edge.  Most of the reference pictures I look at show the return edges, so I've opted to leave them for now.  The fit was fairly comfortable (as much as shrp-edged pokey plastic can be).  Does the fit look okay?

31 minutes ago, bleedn21 said:

I did do the test fit with the return edge.  Most of the reference pictures I look at show the return edges, so I've opted to leave them for now.  The fit was fairly comfortable (as much as shrp-edged pokey plastic can be).  Does the fit look okay?

If you can, post pictures directly into your thread, not a link. This makes it easier for us to all see it, and we don't need to worry about where the link is going to take us.

Also, the only part of the entire armor that has anything to do with return edges are the forearms, and that is that the edges cant be on the wrist side. Besides that everything else can go or stay, depending on fitment and comfort. Just because the are in references doesn't mean they are required. Follow the CRL, that's all that matters

Edited by Commander Gree

23 minutes ago, Commander Gree said:

If you can, post pictures directly into your thread, not a link. This makes it easier for us to all see it, and we don't need to worry about where the link is going to take us.

Also, the only part of the entire armor that has anything to do with return edges are the forearms, and that is that the edges cant be on the wrist side. Besides that everything else can go or stay, depending on fitment and comfort. Just because the are in references doesn't mean they are required. Follow the CRL, that's all that matters

Okay, Thanks!  I've redone the original post, and the pictures show up directly now (My apologies.  I'm a forum noob).  The fit-up was comfortable, and as form-fitting as i could get it.  I did intend on shaving the return edges down after final assembly as required to fine tune the fit.  I'm mostly certain that the one thigh might not meet up properly at the bottom of the bach side, and, in looking through the pics again, I'm noticing that the rear butt connection of the biceps will not align properly with the rear butt connection of the forearms on final assembly.  I'm going to have another go at those and see how it looks. 

1 hour ago, bleedn21 said:

Okay, Thanks!  I've redone the original post, and the pictures show up directly now (My apologies.  I'm a forum noob).  The fit-up was comfortable, and as form-fitting as i could get it.  I did intend on shaving the return edges down after final assembly as required to fine tune the fit.  I'm mostly certain that the one thigh might not meet up properly at the bottom of the bach side, and, in looking through the pics again, I'm noticing that the rear butt connection of the biceps will not align properly with the rear butt connection of the forearms on final assembly.  I'm going to have another go at those and see how it looks. 

No problem! no need to apologize.

Ok, have you taken the return edge off the wrist side of the forearms? that will affect the fitment as well. if you leave it till the last minute you will find that the armor may be too lose and wont fit right. then your gonna have to play with stuffing it with foam

Ok, have you taken the return edge off the wrist side of the forearms? that will affect the fitment as well. if you leave it till the last minute you will find that the armor may be too lose and wont fit right. then your gonna have to play with stuffing it with foam

I did remove the return edge from the wrist side of the forearm. I can post pictures of the fit on that later, but it is fairly fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, bleedn21 said:

I did remove the return edge from the wrist side of the forearm. I can post pictures of the fit on that later, but it is fairly fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok awesome. just making sure. its amazing what removing the small return edges can do to fitment. Looks great so far. keep us posted!

You seem to be well on top of things and by looking at the pics I think you’re good size wize meaning that removing more of the return edge won’t make the armor look to bulky or feel to big but most likely make it more comfortable, as comfortable Stormtrooper armor can be :smiley-sw013:. It looks pretty form-fitted and as you say you will shave it some during final fitting I would like to say - Keep up the great work:salute:

Okay folks!  I'm back!  Ive been doing a fitment check of my wife's suit - torso and back - and have some questions...  here goes...

nmgkBKX.jpg

The chest plate looks to be too big for her frame.  What are some acceptable ways to trim this down and stay in regulation?

h7T5DX6.jpg

Back fit-up.  I think the back plate will need to be trimmed, as there is some overlap with the kidney plate, and, like the chest plate, looks too big for her frame.

YiFhVw1.jpg

Nothing really new in this picture...  she just wanted everyone to see her cool mug.

MVfN6gS.jpg

The bottom sketched line is where the bottom of the chest plate comes.  If I don't have to trim it, the top line is where I think I could trim to get the ab plate to a comfortable level for her.

jiYv4Zl.jpg

Side alignment of the ab/kidney/butt plate.  Haven't trimmed anything, but bent the kidney plate to the shape of her body better.  Is this looking okay?

jwjrdxA.jpg

Other side. 

I'm hesitant to trim anything, and will be combing through some other threads.  If anyone knows a good link to someone who trimmed a suit up to fit a lady trooper, please let me know!

Again, your feedback is much appreciated!  Thanks all!

Edited by bleedn21
Spelling and grammar mistakes.
  • Like 1

I would avoid trimming the ab plate, Ryan.  The chest plate and back plate can be trimmed, though.  If you look at Luke's armor in the (photo 1) you will see that since he was "A little short for a Stormtrooper" they trimmed the bottom of the the chest (and the neck) and in the second photo it shows that the bottom of the back was cut down as well.  Cricket has an incredible build thread for the "vertically challenged" that will help a lot, located here:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/38416-crickets-rs-stunt-build-for-the-vertically-challenged/?tab=comments#comment-514228

The left ab/kidney connection looks great from what I can see.  The line runs vertical,and the rivets should line up just right (as seen on Luke in the third photo) so I would leave the ab plate alone.  You will also see in the third pic that the return edge on the sides were trimmed.  The right ab/kidney connection can overlap, (but can be trimmed).  The important thing is that you don't have gaps.  Keep up the great work!

dvKHWrr.jpg  RSNIU3n.jpg?1

djNit1k.jpg?1

• Like 1

7 hours ago, trixim said:

the stormin' norman is fantastic.   i hope you finish that someday, did you ever pull plastic from any of it?

Thanks Ethan!  I pulled a couple negative molds from it, but never pulled any plastic.  I was going to build a vaccu-form table, but I've abandoned the project.  Still have the fiberglass cast of myself in the garage though, as well as an inhuman amount of Plasticine,  I'm hoping my kids will get into monster makeup someday.  Haha!

8 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

I would avoid trimming the ab plate, Ryan.  The chest plate and back plate can be trimmed, though.  If you look at Luke's armor in the (photo 1) you will see that since he was "A little short for a Stormtrooper" they trimmed the bottom of the the chest (and the neck) and in the second photo it shows that the bottom of the back was cut down as well.  Cricket has an incredible build thread for the "vertically challenged" that will help a lot, located here:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/38416-crickets-rs-stunt-build-for-the-vertically-challenged/?tab=comments#comment-514228

The left ab/kidney connection looks great from what I can see.  The line runs vertical,and the rivets should line up just right (as seen on Luke in the third photo) so I would leave the ab plate alone.  You will also see in the third pic that the return edge on the sides were trimmed.  The right ab/kidney connection can overlap, (but can be trimmed).  The important thing is that you don't have gaps.  Keep up the great work!

dvKHWrr.jpg  RSNIU3n.jpg?1

djNit1k.jpg?1

Thanks, Joseph.  I've seen Cricket's thread before and she did a fantastic job.  I'll follow that to a tee!