Question about velcro-ing the lower legs

Hey guys - it's me again, the guy who's spent half a decade with his TK stunt armor undone... but, I am so close!  Aside from the helmet, which will take me another year, and several thousand cursing barrages to complete.

Anyway, today's question is about the velcro enclosure of the lower legs.  Should I overlap the outside part of the leg over the inside, or just trim the edges so they meet butt to butt all the way down?  Pics in the following links.  Thanks!  

D8wNYiI.jpegMrVyU2D.jpeg

It may be the angle of the photo, but your coverstrip looks a little wide.  Ideally it should be 20 mm, but some go for 25 if needed.  The gap on the ridge is just right, and assuming this is your left calf piece the Velcro should go where the green lines are. 

Hint:  Attach the "fuzzy" side facing in.  The other "hook" side can snag on your undersuit otherwise.

k4Gxiae.jpg?1

1 hour ago, justjoseph63 said:

It may be the angle of the photo, but your coverstrip looks a little wide.  Ideally it should be 20 mm, but some go for 25 if needed.  The gap on the ridge is just right, and assuming this is your left calf piece the Velcro should go where the green lines are. 

Hint:  Attach the "fuzzy" side facing in.  The other "hook" side can snag on your undersuit otherwise.

k4Gxiae.jpg?1

Thanks, Joseph!  My thigh cover strips needed to be extra wide, so I was instructed to make the lower leg strips uniform.  I'm never going to be Centurion, anyway.  Your advice is definitely heeded, and I appreciate it - especially about which direction to stick the velcro, as I was curious about that, as well.  :D  Your colored lines make this so much easier!  You guys rock on here!!

2 hours ago, rzill said:

Thanks, Joseph!  My thigh cover strips needed to be extra wide, so I was instructed to make the lower leg strips uniform.  I'm never going to be Centurion, anyway.  Your advice is definitely heeded, and I appreciate it - especially about which direction to stick the velcro, as I was curious about that, as well.  :D  Your colored lines make this so much easier!  You guys rock on here!!

Dude! my heart just dropped...Why not go for Centurion?!?!?! They don't measure the cover strips, like Joseph said "Ideally" but not mandatory. the armor is built to the wearer, and we understand 100% that some are required to make some extra material for fitment, but don't let that stop you from reaching Centurion. I would request that you change your attitude right here, right now. YOU WILL BE A CENTURION LEVEL TROOPER! and we can help get you there. Keep these questions coming, its why we are here!

• Like 1

Actually with 25mm rear cover strips för the shins you are screen accurate/Canon and totally a go for Centurion regarding that aspect:duim: I have 3 Centurion suits and all have 25mm rear cover strips on the shins which as I said is how the movie suits had them...well if one are to nit pic they vary in width as they didn’t bother about the smaller details and no one would ever notice when watching the movie so the general consensus on cover strips are:

15mm arms

20mm thighs and shins/front

25mm shins/back 

As stated above those are recommendations and the prefered sizes but one can go bigger if needs be and still reach the higher levels and the gallery section has some great reference and I recommend you checking out :salute:https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/

30 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

Actually with 25mm rear cover strips för the shins you are screen accurate/Canon and totally a go for Centurion regarding that aspect:duim: I have 3 Centurion suits and all have 25mm rear cover strips on the shins which as I said is how the movie suits had them...well if one are to nit pic they vary in width as they didn’t bother about the smaller details and no one would ever notice when watching the movie so the general consensus on cover strips are:

15mm arms

20mm thighs and shins/front

25mm shins/back 

As stated above those are recommendations and the prefered sizes but one can go bigger if needs be and still reach the higher levels and the gallery section has some great reference and I recommend you checking out :salute:https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/

Thanks!  They are actually quite longer than 25 mm.  I don't know what the issue was, but I had to make really wide strips for my thighs to fit - and I have total chicken legs, so I don't know what happened there.  This build has been so stressful, I just want to get it over with.  I am not handy by any stretch, and I know I'll still have to work to maintain it.  But, if I never build another suit again, it will be too soon.

47 minutes ago, rzill said:

Thanks!  They are actually quite longer than 25 mm.  I don't know what the issue was, but I had to make really wide strips for my thighs to fit - and I have total chicken legs, so I don't know what happened there.  This build has been so stressful, I just want to get it over with.  I am not handy by any stretch, and I know I'll still have to work to maintain it.  But, if I never build another suit again, it will be too soon.

Sorry to hear you’re not enyojing the build, I looked but couldn’t find a build thread, do you have one? It will be easier to help you that way so if you don’t have one I sugggest you do:)

And the strip in the pic don’t look to far of the 25 mark but I’ll take you word for it :Pand regarding the thighs that does sound a bit strange but even with let’s say 30mm you should be fine but if you are as you say on the thinner side bigger might become a problem as they should ”match the Trooper” meaning if you are bigger the armor is bigger and the strips can be bigger....bigger strips on smaller armor parts don’t look right and might be an issue for approval. I say might because it’s ultimately up to your GML....and it’s about overall look so start a build thread or point me in the right direction and we can get started in making you into one awesome Stormtrooper:salute:

• Like 1

On 8/7/2018 at 12:24 PM, TheSwede said:

Sorry to hear you’re not enyojing the build, I looked but couldn’t find a build thread, do you have one? It will be easier to help you that way so if you don’t have one I sugggest you do:)

And the strip in the pic don’t look to far of the 25 mark but I’ll take you word for it :Pand regarding the thighs that does sound a bit strange but even with let’s say 30mm you should be fine but if you are as you say on the thinner side bigger might become a problem as they should ”match the Trooper” meaning if you are bigger the armor is bigger and the strips can be bigger....bigger strips on smaller armor parts don’t look right and might be an issue for approval. I say might because it’s ultimately up to your GML....and it’s about overall look so start a build thread or point me in the right direction and we can get started in making you into one awesome Stormtrooper:salute:

Thanks!  Ok, those strips are actually 42 mm.  I know, it sounds ridiculous, but honestly, there was no other way to make my thighs fit.  I am tall (6'1"), but not wide.  

I sincerely appreciate your offer to help and the advice.  I am nearly done building the body, so starting a thread at this point is not feasible.  Arms and shoulders are done and connected.  The thighs... hopefully are done and connected.  Lower legs need cover strips, all but one, and will be ready for the enclosure build.  After that, it's just the belt, TD, and helmet.  I will contact a local guy who is in on the approval for my sector.  A number of other troopers have seen this in person, and it doesn't seem to be an issue.  I will post a picture of myself tomorrow in everything that I have done up to date - I want to see myself in it, anyway.  Forearms need padding, but otherwise it should look pretty cool.

Thanks again!

11 hours ago, rzill said:

Thanks!  Ok, those strips are actually 42 mm.  I know, it sounds ridiculous, but honestly, there was no other way to make my thighs fit.  I am tall (6'1"), but not wide.  

I sincerely appreciate your offer to help and the advice.  I am nearly done building the body, so starting a thread at this point is not feasible.  Arms and shoulders are done and connected.  The thighs... hopefully are done and connected.  Lower legs need cover strips, all but one, and will be ready for the enclosure build.  After that, it's just the belt, TD, and helmet.  I will contact a local guy who is in on the approval for my sector.  A number of other troopers have seen this in person, and it doesn't seem to be an issue.  I will post a picture of myself tomorrow in everything that I have done up to date - I want to see myself in it, anyway.  Forearms need padding, but otherwise it should look pretty cool.

Thanks again!

I am slightly confused and would hope you can help explain a little better. You said your cover strips are 42mm wide?!?!? wow! I am also 6 1 and have a heavier build, and used the recommended withers for cover strips. I still think starting a build thread is feasible as it can prevent any mistakes you still may make. but its up to you obviously. regardless we are here to help you achieve the best armor you can come out with, cant wait to see the photos

12 hours ago, rzill said:

Thanks again!

Copy that and anytime:salute: Looking forward seeing it and as you say seeing yourself in Stormtrooper armor is awesome so you are in for a treat:duim:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Commander Gree said:

I am slightly confused and would hope you can help explain a little better. You said your cover strips are 42mm wide?!?!? wow! I am also 6 1 and have a heavier build, and used the recommended withers for cover strips. I still think starting a build thread is feasible as it can prevent any mistakes you still may make. but its up to you obviously. regardless we are here to help you achieve the best armor you can come out with, cant wait to see the photos

I have ATA armor.  Something was not right with the thighs, and I am confident in this case it was not my incompetence as a builder.  I originally trimmed it to put the required 20 mm strips, and it was way too tight.  I actually had to glue some of the return edge back on, just to make it big enough to get my legs in them.  Honestly, I don't know what the issue was, not something a hot water bath could have helped with, either, because the circumference of the thigh was just too small.  Anyway, a guy on my local team of approval experts said it should be ok as long as all of the leg cover strips (on the back side, anyway) are uniform - which they are.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2018 at 9:33 AM, TheSwede said:

Copy that and anytime:salute: Looking forward seeing it and as you say seeing yourself in Stormtrooper armor is awesome so you are in for a treat:duim:

Here is my progress.  The forearms are done, but not padded yet.  A couple questions:

1.  I have yet to pad and velcro the lower legs because I am not sure if I need to trim the lower legs down a bit.  Difficult to tell from this photo, I realize.  So, should I just go ahead and do the padding and velcro, then trim it down later if necessary?

2.  The thighs are not level - even I can see that.  But, should the right one go up, or the left one go down?  I am thinking the left should go down, and leave the right one where it is.

Thanks!  https://imgur.com/a/7vWeqNh

Look at that - a Stormtrooper in the making:duim:

2 hours ago, rzill said:

1.  I have yet to pad and velcro the lower legs because I am not sure if I need to trim the lower legs down a bit.  Difficult to tell from this photo, I realize.  So, should I just go ahead and do the padding and velcro, then trim it down later if necessary?

I would trim them down, they look quite big, I noticed the right isn`t sitting right at the boot but the left also look big so I would look into making them smaller but if you rather go with padding your good to go:)

5fbP5JN.jpg

2 hours ago, rzill said:

2.  The thighs are not level - even I can see that.  But, should the right one go up, or the left one go down?  I am thinking the left should go down, and leave the right one where it is.

I would do the opposite and raise the right one but either way works:duim:

Besides from your questions I noticed some other points that I feel would improve the overall look of your armor but as I know you really just want to be done with it I leave it up to you to decide if you want to hear them and to be clear, neither of my suggestions affect your chances to get approval, in that case I would have said….they are just for improving the look:salute:

With that said…..seeing your self in Stormtrooper armor, how awesome was that?! wait...I know the answer to that: TOTALLY awesome:dancing-trooper:^_^

On 8/7/2018 at 9:07 AM, Commander Gree said:

Dude! my heart just dropped...Why not go for Centurion?!?!?! They don't measure the cover strips, like Joseph said "Ideally" but not mandatory. the armor is built to the wearer, and we understand 100% that some are required to make some extra material for fitment, but don't let that stop you from reaching Centurion. I would request that you change your attitude right here, right now. YOU WILL BE A CENTURION LEVEL TROOPER! and we can help get you there. Keep these questions coming, its why we are here!

Ha!  Thanks for the pep talk  :)  I have been at this so long, I simply want approval to be in the Legion.  We'll see how that goes, and I will not rule out a Centurion in my future.

5 hours ago, rzill said:

Ha!  Thanks for the pep talk  :)  I have been at this so long, I simply want approval to be in the Legion.  We'll see how that goes, and I will not rule out a Centurion in my future.

I like the sound of that better. You WILL make Centurion, its hard work but will be worth it. I am headed that way, already EIB, but have had a few other builds in the way so have been doing that. Good luck and please ask questions!!!

23 hours ago, Commander Gree said:

I like the sound of that better. You WILL make Centurion, its hard work but will be worth it. I am headed that way, already EIB, but have had a few other builds in the way so have been doing that. Good luck and please ask questions!!!

Commander - I appreciate the tough love pep talk.  As a Phys Ed and Health teacher, I've given my share of those, and I am not above being on the receiving end.  I do have a question about going Centurion.  The reason I had to make my cover strips for the back thigh so wide was because when I cut my return edges down to match a 25 mm strip, the thighs were too tight.  However, I was at Comic-Con this week, and I saw a TK with the proper width strips on the thigh, but he was showing at least 5 mm on each side of the return edge.  This is what I was concerned about making those strips so narrow.  Could I show that much space on each edge of the strip?  I hope you understand what I mean.

I’d rather see a wider cover strip than to leave the return exposed like that. Sounds like that guy missed the forrest for all the trees. 

• Like 1

You didn't mention what part(s) of the thighs are tight, Ron.  Have you removed all of the return edges from the tops?  (If not, you should).   Some detailed photos would be great.  As Mathias mentioned, wider cover strips are way more preferable to return edges in the back.  We understand that some troopers are larger than others, and that fact is taken into consideration when applying for EI and Centurion.  While wider cover strips on the backs of the thighs is not exactly screen accurate, the width is not specifically mentioned in the CRL.  As long as everything is uniform you should be good to go.

• Like 1

The part of the thighs that are too tight are the body of the thigh, itself.  It's not tight at either top or bottom, but right in the middle around the meat of my legs.  Hot water bathing would not have helped.  I had already cut the butt  to butt joint edges down to match the 25 mm width I thought was required for the thigh cover strips.  Fortunately, I cut them all in one piece, so I glued it back on to give me the room I needed, and that required a 42 mm cover strip to get my leg to fit.  It's ATA armor - not sure anyone else has had this issue with them, but it seemed like the thighs were built for children.  Anyway, yes, all strips are uniform width - all four front strips on upper and lower legs match, as do the rear strips.  A guy in my local Garrison who is on the approval team said it should not be an issue.

23 hours ago, rzill said:

The part of the thighs that are too tight are the body of the thigh, itself.  It's not tight at either top or bottom, but right in the middle around the meat of my legs.  Hot water bathing would not have helped.  I had already cut the butt  to butt joint edges down to match the 25 mm width I thought was required for the thigh cover strips.  Fortunately, I cut them all in one piece, so I glued it back on to give me the room I needed, and that required a 42 mm cover strip to get my leg to fit.  It's ATA armor - not sure anyone else has had this issue with them, but it seemed like the thighs were built for children.  Anyway, yes, all strips are uniform width - all four front strips on upper and lower legs match, as do the rear strips.  A guy in my local Garrison who is on the approval team said it should not be an issue.

This sounds great. and so you know, there are a lot of things within the "preferred" area that will not keep you from obtaining Centurion. We want our troopers to look as best as possible, but like Joseph mentioned, we totally understand and recognize that not all troopers are built the same. This is also why NO armor kit is 501st approved. Armor is only approved in conjunction with  the wearer. A kit is not approvable on its own.

When talking to your Garrison mate, the one that's on the approval team, be sure he knows that your end game is Centurion. He may be telling you "Ya that will work" but merely talking about basic, which may cause you to do something that will require even more work later down the road for Centurion. If you start out with Centurion in mind, set that as your goal, it makes the build a lot easier. Basic can be achieved with a rushed kit. Centurion takes just a little more work, and time, and a touch of love for the Empire, and you will be there. 

Just keep it coming, let the photos flow, and we will get you there. No problem is too big to handle.

• Like 2

Jordan nailed it.  Your GML may point out certain things that will get you to basic, but if you look over some of the approved Centurion submissions they will show you the finer details that while not specifically mentioned in the CRL are suggested and/or required for that level.  Here is a link:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/66-fisd-centurion-program/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm, a guy is selling his Anovos kit around here for $600, the ANH version.  I am wondering if I'd be able to buy it so that I could use the pre-made bucket, and then put my un-made bucket kit in it for a re-sale.  Any thoughts?

On 8/20/2018 at 12:12 PM, justjoseph63 said:

Jordan nailed it.  Your GML may point out certain things that will get you to basic, but if you look over some of the approved Centurion submissions they will show you the finer details that while not specifically mentioned in the CRL are suggested and/or required for that level.  Here is a link:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/66-fisd-centurion-program/

What would you think about this?  A guy is selling his unopened Anovos kit around here for $600, the ANH version.  I am wondering if I'd be able to buy it so that I could use the pre-made bucket, and then put my un-made bucket kit in it for a re-sale.  Would save me all kinds of time and frustration of building the helmet, and really motivate me to finish the remainder.  Would people buy the whole thing with the un-made helmet kit?

On 8/20/2018 at 8:52 AM, Commander Gree said:

This sounds great. and so you know, there are a lot of things within the "preferred" area that will not keep you from obtaining Centurion. We want our troopers to look as best as possible, but like Joseph mentioned, we totally understand and recognize that not all troopers are built the same. This is also why NO armor kit is 501st approved. Armor is only approved in conjunction with  the wearer. A kit is not approvable on its own.

When talking to your Garrison mate, the one that's on the approval team, be sure he knows that your end game is Centurion. He may be telling you "Ya that will work" but merely talking about basic, which may cause you to do something that will require even more work later down the road for Centurion. If you start out with Centurion in mind, set that as your goal, it makes the build a lot easier. Basic can be achieved with a rushed kit. Centurion takes just a little more work, and time, and a touch of love for the Empire, and you will be there. 

Just keep it coming, let the photos flow, and we will get you there. No problem is too big to handle.

What would you think about this?  A guy is selling his unopened Anovos kit around here for $600, the ANH version.  I am wondering if I'd be able to buy it so that I could use the pre-made bucket, and then put my un-made bucket kit in it for a re-sale.  Would save me all kinds of time and frustration of building the helmet, and really motivate me to finish the remainder.  Would people buy the whole thing with the un-made helmet kit?