REN2100 Requesting Pre Approval Review (ATA)

REN2100

1.  First/last name: Ryan

2.  Future Garrison/Squad/Outpost or local area: New England Garrison
3.  Armor maker: ATA
4.  Helmet maker: ATA
5.  Cloth belt maker: Trooperbay
6.  Neck seal maker: katarra8 (eBay)
7.  Boot maker: Funtasma (Amazon)
9.  Blaster maker (if applicable): Doopydoos
10.  Gasket maker (if applicable): N/A
11.  Height  (optional): 5'11"
12.  Weight (optional): 185 lbs
13.  TK type (ANH Stunt/Hero. ESB, ROTJ. TFA etc.): ANH Stunt

This is my first ever armor set I've made and I've been working on it for almost two years now. I never really knew much before I started working on the armor and I'm still learning more stuff everyday about the hobby. I bought the neck seal off of eBay as well as my holster (I'd be glad to give the links) and I bought the boots of off Amazon. I've been saving up money to buy a pair of TK Boots. I'm working to get to EIB and eventually Centurion status but for right now I'm just looking to get basic approval. Any help would be great. Thanks!

OqpZBtL.jpg

NLpSW3E.jpg

zsyYohs.jpg

v5NO7wV.jpg

ewuvSci.jpg

TzQk8rR.jpg

Tr7aY3t.jpg

I'm aware of some of the issues, my left shin can't close properly even after I made the back strip wider and added more velcro. I'm not sure if I should switch my method and use hooks instead. Also, I'm not sure if I need to push the knee plate out further because after looking at the pictures it seems to have gotten caught on the thigh armor. Also, I'm not sure if my thing armor is too low and I may need to fix that.

Edited by REN2100

I would say the thighs are too low. Raising them should solve the sniper plate issue as well as give you more room to flex.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

I’m having a similar issue with my shin. And I’m in the middle of shimming it out to get some more room. Not an easy route but mine was bad enough it was my only option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would you have any ideas on how to fix the gap in my shin?
You're using velcro? Hooks and elastic may help possibly.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Hi Ryan,

Looks like you’ve made a really good start. :-)

If I may, it looks like a few areas might have a lot of excess plastic (flashing) left at this stage. For example, the chest sides, top of the ab plate, shoulder bells etc. Here’s some examples of where I would consider checking out some reference pics and removing a little more.

4d338abf30703971798d95c67ce568ec.jpg

d1bc0580909f6cc424edb973fa7c867a.jpg

The thighs and calf coverstrips should stop at the “ridge”. Here’s examples below.

1bb2f9d74f0722a7c3586fef01b73341.jpg

6036b66b67328c8503d38cb370f86011.jpg

With the calf coverstrips, they should be equal in size, left to right. If they won’t close then you might have to consider adding a shim (as ReaperOfDaisys mentioned). If you do this, you can then use smaller, equal sized coverstrips. Usually around 25mm for the back of the calves; however, as you have used much larger coverstrips for the thighs, you’d probably want to keep the thigh and calf coverstrips around the same size. (Thighs usually around 20mm)

You mentioned pulling the thighs up. This would look good, however it looks like you’ve already used quite large coverstrips so I’m assuming there is not much room for movement. Again, you could consider adding shims - as above, this would allow you to reduce the size of the coverstrips.

Regarding basic clearance, sorting out the above should get you closer. As I mentioned at the beginning, it looks like you’ve made a good start. A little fine tuning and basic should be fine.

Best wishes

Dan :-)

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 6:20 PM, REN2100 said:

zsyYohs.jpg

ewuvSci.jpg

TzQk8rR.jpg

I'm aware of some of the issues, my left shin can't close properly even after I made the back strip wider and added more velcro. I'm not sure if I should switch my method and use hooks instead. Also, I'm not sure if I need to push the knee plate out further because after looking at the pictures it seems to have gotten caught on the thigh armor. Also, I'm not sure if my thing armor is too low and I may need to fix that.

If I may, when you retake your photos for approval (you wont be approved with the gap in the openings like you show, everything needs to be closed up) make sure who ever is taking the photos looks you over before each one. Typically it is best to have an Approved TK take these as they know exactly what to look for. but be sure whoever is doing it, looks at all you "lines". Your arms are a bit off, the ridge that runs from the should all the way down to the hand plates should line up when your taking your side view pictures. Most of your other issues seem to have been addressed for basic. shouldn't be hard to fix and should be easily approved once done.

Hi Ryan, I think Dan covered most points that I spotted. The shins are definitely an issue that will hold you back. Can I ask why you used such a large strip in the back of the thighs? Looking at the small gap below, it doesn't appear that have been necessary, but obviously I don't know the full story here. I am surprised that you are having shin closure trouble since I am of a similar build with ATA and didn't have this issue at all.

Only other thing that I would recommend is gluing your shoulder bridges a bit lower on the chest. Most people have around 3 small bumps in addition to the big bump glued to the chest plate, and your can see your straps coming down pretty low over the back plate.

On 8/13/2018 at 7:59 AM, lucnak said:

Hi Ryan, I think Dan covered most points that I spotted. The shins are definitely an issue that will hold you back. Can I ask why you used such a large strip in the back of the thighs? Looking at the small gap below, it doesn't appear that have been necessary, but obviously I don't know the full story here. I am surprised that you are having shin closure trouble since I am of a similar build with ATA and didn't have this issue at all.

Only other thing that I would recommend is gluing your shoulder bridges a bit lower on the chest. Most people have around 3 small bumps in addition to the big bump glued to the chest plate, and your can see your straps coming down pretty low over the back plate.

Hi Luc,

Thanks for the response! I talked to my local garrison at Boston Comic Con and they were able to help me and demonstrate how to fix some of my issues. The reason my shins weren’t closing was because I didn’t have a strong enough Velcro and I switch to an industrial Velcro and that worked like a dream. For my thighs though I have to have bigger cover strips for the back because my thighs are a bit too big so I had to make some adjustments. 

Edited by REN2100
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...