Sign in to follow this  
tk0471

You'll never stop tweaking your armor

If there's one thing I've learned about armor (costuming), is that you'll never stop tweaking. Maybe you'll go a long time between, but there's always something to fix, or upgrade. I've had my FX suit, for close to 10 years, and joined the 501st finally in 2000. Over time, I've made some mods, which some of you folks may find a bit strange, but they were to accommodate my comfort, and the human body tends to change shape over 10 years :rolleyes: , but hitting the gym has helped a bit, lol.

This is my FX kit as of recent:

tk471-w-blaster-002.jpg

Pretty standard, and I'm holding my MR blaster in the pic (heavy!)

This is some of the mods I've done over time on this kit, starting with my thigh armor. I cut it high in the back, because it was hard to bend my legs, and I wanted to be able to sit. I also had to shim to fit, although I think I could take it in a bit now:

thighs-shimmed.jpg

This is how I shimmed my calves:

calves-shimmed.jpg

For my hands, I am using some river/kayak gloves, with the elastic velcro around the palm, but I added a snap that helps keep it in place on the back of my hand:

hand_armor_mod.jpg

I assembled the upper armor to go on like a shirt, it works pretty good:

upper-armor-inside-1.jpg

upper-armor.jpg

I had a friend help with making a cotton-duck (canvas) belt, and seperated the cod piece (although I cut it kind of weird), also seperated the back pieces:

med_gallery_202_30_19569.jpg

lower-back.jpg

I put some fans in the bucket just before the Rose Parade, not pretty, but it works:

tk471-bucket-fans.jpg

###

While I am happy with my armor currently, there's room for improvement. My next upgrade will be my MR CE helmet, which I've started collecting supplies for, and I look forward to trooping with it:

TK471_MRCE_untouched.JPG

I sure wish that MR blaster wasn't so darn heavy! I'm planning to tear it apart, and see if it can be made lighter, otherwise, I'll probably just mod my Kenner blaster to suit.

Eventually, I'll probably look into other more 'accurate' kits, even if just to swap out parts, but, as I've said.... you'll never stop tweaking your armor!

-Pete, TK471

Looks good. One thing I notice is that one of the most over looked mods and it being the cheapest are the ab buttons. I really think the fx ones detract from the overall look of the armor.

Isn't that the truth. I have had my armor for almost a year and a half and I have already replaced a ton of stuff. My blaster, helmet, chest and back plate, ab buttons, belt, holster. I am sure there will be more to come. I am going to be switching to ANH armor eventually and my modified FX will become my sandy. That probably wont happen until I finish the a clone trooper and a Han Solo costume though. :P

Looks good. One thing I notice is that one of the most over looked mods and it being the cheapest are the ab buttons. I really think the fx ones detract from the overall look of the armor.

I couldn't agree with you more.

I couldn't agree with you more.

This is the first thing i noticed too :blink:

I think after 10 years of modding the FX Pete deserves a set thrown in the post for him :D

Wow, are the ab buttons that bad? I have not heard of this until this thread.... it's like the entire suit of FX just needs to be replaced by a completely different suit, LOL! oh, not in the budget for that right now!

I certainly have never had a single kid come up to me and complain about my buttons, :D ok, what are you folks using for those these days!

Like you said it is a never changing process. Oh please understand I'm not knocking your armor. You could have pink buttons and a kid wont care in the end. It is just that we look at this stuff everyday and that is just one of the things that stands out. Vaderdave sells a great cheap set for armor here is the link http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=2962 What are the silver things on all the black straps?

What are the silver things on all the black straps?

That's called 'lazy sod who was supposed to sew the velcro onto the straps, but instead stapled them on, and has never gotten back to changing it, because they've never come apart yet', yes, 'slacker trooper' is the nickname I give myself :) The velcro has the super-adhesive sticking to the straps as well.

MR CE bucket upgrade first... then ab buttons.. then the straps... and then maybe a whole new suit, or something different like a biker scout or clone!

ps,

Vaderdave sells a great cheap set for armor

I'm checking that now, does look good, I'll get 'em.

I'm happy with my FX, but like everyone else on here I have a list of mods I still have to do to it. (Really need to close up that side gap, I might change my strapping system too, have to see how it does after a few troops).

Also, I do plan on taking my FX Sandy but I want other kit first, I don't want to lose my TK designation.