Jump to content
suttontech

Trying the 48” Trooper toy conversion

Recommended Posts

My 4-year old grandtrooper isnt satisfied with her foam and cloth armor anymore... We’re going to give the Jakks thing a try.62a62bf191a438d0fcfa6a4d282dfe51.jpg

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome, looking forward to the progress 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First thing... this plastic is absolutely awful to work with... cut it, sand it, trim it... everything you do causes it to melt into little boogers that just re-harden into pointy little shards everywhere. The inner superstructure pieces are everywhere needing trimmed, also. Learned right off the head is too small.. ordered a Rubies youth helmet.. 655a1deb57fed611153ab0d80db4035c.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far, the best tool for trimming the guts out has been this multi-cutter.
It’s not as precise as the jig saw or rotary but it made less of those melted little boogers. 918666852fd84bd852ad0fe7e7c990ac.png


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The parts were originally held together with screws. That made for posts on the inside of the parts. Most of them I had to cut out to make room for body parts. The few I was able to salvage can hold parts together, but I’m going to have to do a bunch of gluing when I put stuff back together. Here’s the thighs, one side gutted, one side intact ( I circled a set of screw posts)
809c27d8839beaf6cf031ca209d92891.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Setting the Dremel on the lowest speed and using a sanding stone bit seems to be the best way to keep the rough little boogers from forming.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did this for my son and it worked great, until he got too big for it.  Anyways I used a Dremel to,gut,the inside but it did take a long time. Instead of using screws to keep it together I used the same techniques I used for my TK. For the arms and legs I glued the pieces together using spare plastic from my TK builds. Then I used snaps to attach the chest and back together as well as the arms and legs. It worked like a charm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got lazy with the progress pics...
Yea I strapped most of it, used a few screws where I could.

Glued felt inside on the rough patches.

Had to trim a bunch because she’s still so short.

Suspenders for the lower torso, straps to hold the upper together, including straps to hold the shoulder/bicep bells.

Made her a garter to hold the thighs up.

Shoes... just cheap brown loafers with one coat of FlexSeal white rubber paint (the kind they paint the screen door with and use it for a boat bottom on tv)

Rubies 2-piece helmet. $25 bucks maybe?





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steel City Con yesterday.. we made a trial run... a few pinch points need trimmed, but other than that... good to go!
She got more requests for pics than this old trooper did haha
94acbc5c653de09a7322092da6e8ab62.png


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The public do like a “mini me” trooper and she looks great, well done

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is so awesome! I just ordered one of these to make for my daughter. Besides the rubies helmet did you have to replace any other parts?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks great, I love what you did with the shoes!  One thing that may help is to get a lens for her helmet. I got a flat lens at trooperbay and put it. It’s definitely better than the cloth one rubies has. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This is so awesome! I just ordered one of these to make for my daughter. Besides the rubies helmet did you have to replace any other parts?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really. I had to splint the lower torso with elastic because she’s a little tank lol
Cheap winter gloves with a piece of white foam glued on.
The rest was just a huge pain hollowing out the guts


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
That looks great, I love what you did with the shoes!  One thing that may help is to get a lens for her helmet. I got a flat lens at trooperbay and put it. It’s definitely better than the cloth one rubies has. 

She seems to like the mesh so far. She usually insists on authenticity haha so thats weird. If we do switch to a lens I have a small fan to put in there.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s some extra pics I had. I cut the torso and put in a wide elastic strip to make extra body room.
The last pic is a shin. To hold the front together and still have flex to open the back wide enough for her leg, I used a vinyl belt strip lathered in E600. It works like a hinge in front and still holds it together.

061d32316b513bb419bf049b31fee35f.jpga2989ca97004742024bbd0df13de8625.jpgc2c451b37a2a96371945783673081e47.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...