Can I make an approvable HWT pack with a hinged box for the radio base?

I am working on assembling parts for my HWT pack.  I am planning on 3d printing most of the smaller boxes but I don't have a large enough printer for the radio.  I was thinking that instead of using a photo storage box as I have seen in other builds that I could use a container with a hinge that I could use to store stuff in while trooping.

Can I use something like this box, painted black with the radio parts on the face, as the radio body and still be approvable?  I can remove the handle the wall hanger so all that would be showing as additional details would be the hinge and latch.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006RNSPYM/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvpv2_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=4228958869635247268&pd_rd_wg=VLMGd&pf_rd_r=43GKFF6TE1VSCGPFTNP9&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-bottom-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B006RNSPYM&pd_rd_w=sg6xW&pf_rd_i=first+aid+case&pd_rd_r=165a93df-992f-4fb8-afd5-50ff0db5f787&ie=UTF8&qid=1532577764&sr=1

The dimensions are fine, Eric, but to be honest I would go with the cardboard one from Michaels for a few reasons:

1.  You want to keep your pack as light as possible.  Even a few extra pounds makes a big difference after a few hours of trooping (trust me).

2.  The latch is pretty large and would be really unsightly, and the piano hinge would look odd.

3.  Even if cost is not a factor, 3 bucks as opposed to 21 is a big difference.---------------

If you are concerned that the cardboard will not be strong enough, (as I was) you can reinforce the back by gluing a sheet of thin plastic (like a For Sale sign) inside and use washers when attaching it.  The photo boxes are pretty heavy duty, though.  Mine has held up like a champ despite being banged all to heck after countless troops.

As for storage, there really aren't many things you would need to keep with you on a troop.  I keep everything in my bin, including my wallet and keys, and unless your bin is in an unsecured area, no one will mess with it, I promise.  (We tend to be a very honest bunch, and look out for each other's stuff).  I have only felt the need to lock mine once (unsecured area) and I just kept the key to my bin on an elastic band around my wrist) or you could let a handler hold it.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

I mostly agree with Joseph.  That's an interesting find, though, I gotta say.

I'm curious what the weight of the empty box is.  (the weight given would be full of first aid supplies, so the empty box should be a lot lighter)  Might not be all that bad, and to be honest, I like the dimensions better than the Photo box, which I've always felt is a little too long.  (10.75" vs 12.25", so 1.5" shorter)

I would want to remove ALL of the extra bits, including the latch.  Close it with magnets instead, or something.  Mount it to the pack by attaching the lid, to conceal the piano hinge.  Use strong magnets or some other concealable method to close it.

I'm not sure how easily all those bits will come off, though, frankly.  Still, for $21 I might just pick one up to see.  If it seems like a hassle to remove all the extra stuff, or it can't be done cleanly, I can actually use a good first aid kit at home, so no big loss. :)

Edited by kman

I like the idea of having space to haul stuff vs. it just being a wasted hollow but I can also appreciate how light and cheap the photo boxes are.  I suppose it would make more sense to just use the cheap box and I can always change it out later if I really want the metal box.

I've done a couple troops with my armor as a "recruit" and I just left my phone, wallet, etc. in my tote.  It wasn't that big of a deal but I would like it better if I can figure out how to use some space in the pack to carry stuff like water, con merch, phone for pictures, etc. so I'll keep mulling it over.  The biggest hurdle is getting at the pack once its on so its probably not practical anyway.