What's up with these Tandy snaps?

I got two packages of Tandy line 24 snaps, at different times and at different stores.  The packages were slightly different, but all the Tandy paper inserts in the packages looked the same, as did the package labels, logos, etc.  But the snaps themselves are vastly different.  Here's what they look like, in matched pairs, looking at the upper sides:

snap%201%20lo-res.jpg

The top pair have the Tandy name on both pieces, while the bottom pair has no branding at all.  Also, notice how very different the left post is in the lower pair.  I set these two pairs in some ABS, and here's what the reverse side looks like:

snap%202%20lo-res.jpg

Again, very different.

All the packaging looked legit, but is the one with no Tandy branding possible a counterfeit?  Or do I have two different kinds of Tandy line 24 snaps?  Again, there's nothing on the packaging to indicate that these are different types.  However, a close look at the packaging shows that the snaps with the Tandy branding on them were made in China, and the ones without the branding are from Taiwan.

Any thoughts?  More importantly, should I avoid using one or the other?

Thanks!

A.J.

• Like 1

I bought mine in the Tandy store and they were the bottom ones. I would use the bottom ones for ab and butt pair. They look better.

Had a similar issue with local Birch snaps, new packaging and found they are slightly different in size compared to the old packaging, could be they have changed to a cheaper supplier and are a differently quality/size.

I know have to check each time I purchase them as they do clip together but just not strong enough to hold, a few other members have been having the same issue here too.

• Like 1

I think I saw people talking about this on the Anovos group a while ago.  I don't recall there being any real quality difference (there may well be but it wasn't mentioned) but people really didn't want the Tandy branding on the visible bases.

• Like 1

Tandy changed to the stamped snaps well over a year ago, but there's a lot of old stock still on the shelves.

New shipments/orders are all the new style... they don't manufacture the old ones anymore, as I understand it.

As Harbinger notes, it's actually pretty accurate, other than the word itself. LOL

• Like 1

I ran out of Tandy Snaps with JUST the externally visible ones left to do when I ordered new ones back in 2015 I think?

the new ones arrived with the names so I had to find a spare that wasn't stamped! I got lucky!!!

Still swear by Tandy Snaps though!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, A.J. Hamler said:

Huh, I wasn't familiar with either one of those brands.  I probably already have plenty of snaps since I bought a couple packages, but I'll check them out.  What makes them better?

A.J.

Difference, higher grade quality (Military, Police, and marine applications). Both are also anti-corrosive and shouldn't have any negative reaction to E6000. Theses snaps are strong, essentially eliminating the need for a two snap connecting strap system you see a lot of these days. Not to say there's something wrong with that, but if you didn't have to then why do it. 

Hope this helps